Forum:High details sprite from cache
Hi guys, I got a sprite and texture dump from the cache (images have transparency) any of you know some sprite that would need transparency on the wiki or that is normally unobtainable?
(Also keep in mind that I cant extract sprites with transparency from the live game (the dump is from 833) but i can however extract them without transparency (and possibly do retro-transparency-eering (idk what is the true term for that))
Comment - Perhaps you could look through Category:Images needing translucency and Category:Images needing transparency and see if these images could be applied there? The former category tends to be the hardest to do from what I hear. There's also sprites for items that destroy on drop so we never get high resolution images for them, although I don't think we have a category for those. cqm 07:49, 18 Nov 2016 (UTC) (UTC)
I think I missed something - Is this not what's been discussed a long time ago, which caused the policy to be not to use cache-images? There's a whole archive of discussions (listed at Talk:Jagex cache) about what to do with the RuneScape cache files (cue flashback screen-shake):
- 21 June 2009 - As far as I could find, it all started when there was a leak of information about the Dragon pickaxe before its release, which spawned this thread, where it was decided that "leaked information will not be revealed". This thread did not seem to mention taking images, but did set a precedent for further discussions.
- 5 December 2009 - The first thread to discuss the model viewer and the potential for taking images is the then-infamous Forum:RSMV. Yes, that is a forum thread which got a shortcut link, that's how infamous it was. And it is one hell of a thread, even extending to an archive of it halfway through. The fun part about it is that it got closed without a clear consensus either way. You can see a nice table of arguments for/against at the top of the Forum:RSMV itself.
- 26 March 2010 - After that came Forum:Runescape model viewer, which was started only 7 days after the previous one was closed. Loads of fun. And guess what? Still no consensus at the end of the thread. Notice that so far, the only consensus has been that leaked information should not be revealed; nothing has been made policy about the RSMV.
- 23 April 2010 - Well, you might have seen it coming: Another discussion - Forum:Fair Use and the RSMV. - another forum with an associated archive page to decrease long threads. Well I think you can guess already, but this one did not reach consensus again, requiring us to move on to the next thread on this subject...
- 9 August 2010 - The next thread would be Forum:IRL laws, cache, and consensus, which finally gave us clear a clear rule to work with, despite still not reaching overwhelming consensus. The result was that "cache images will not be allowed on the wiki".
- 28 March 2011 - Six months went by and my brother and I found the new Avatar, a thread named Forum:Jagex legal precedent. At the start of that thread, the [[RuneScape:Jagex cache]] page was created summarizing the results from the previous thread on this list. After that thread, the whole subject was added to the Previously rejected proposals list. I recommend reading the closing statement on that thread, as it summarizes the whole subject very well.
- 20 July 2015 - After a silence of 4 years there is Forum:A new kind of model viewer... on which it's decided that it is allowed to use the Adventurer's log's image viewer to take pictures for the wiki. This also removed the subject from the previously rejected proposals list.
- 17 May 2016 - Then next up is Forum:Standards for new pages created from game cache. I'm not sure how nobody referenced any of this whole history on that thread, but the consensus does not really have an effect on the policies whether to allow images from the game cache.
- 24 June 2016 - The last thread about taking images from the cache is Forum:NXT and Adventurer’s Log character viewer images which did not cause any change in policy.
So after listing all that, I'm just going to say I only noticed those newer threads after digging through the old dirt first (since I'm actually inactive), so after listing all this, which I really should not have spent this much time on, I'd like to at least discuss this huge backlog of threads (IF this "sprite and texture dump" is not from the adventurer's log cache). If it is all from the advlog cache, then don't mind me ^_^
Either way, could [[RuneScape:Jagex cache]] perhaps be updated/renamed/deleted, according to consensus from the previous couple of threads? The longer I look at those newer threads, the more I think this was all for nothing, which I all did because the policy page I referred to was outdated (and because I'm supposed to be studying and not doing pointless stuff like this).
- Wow. I closed the last few threads on the topic and honestly had no idea that the policy page on the cache even existed. I just deleted it. Yes, consensus is that cache images are allowed if they conform to our existing image policy. --LiquidTalk 04:27, November 22, 2016 (UTC)
- Consensus on using the cache has somewhat changed in practice without a real formal discussion. Certainly, cache data has been applied to every single item page and about 75% of monster pages - the reworked Template:Infobox Item is mostly automatically generated from the cache and advlog API via a script written by Cook (I'm working on doing the same for Infobox Bonuses, too). An article made by the script looks like this, with my subsequent edit at least partially based on it (i.e. bonuses, charges, sometimes other parts). Monster stats come from both the cache and bestiary API.
- Images, however, mostly don't come from the cache - the GE API for (java) icons, and the advlog viewer for some NPCs and such (though usually in-game). There are some images that come from other sources, like perk icons which Shauny got for us, that are basically impossible to get the perfect version in-game. 16:39, November 23, 2016 (UTC)
Comment - This is 100% something that is helpful to get from the cache, since a clear in-game image is really hard to get. Obviously, in general, use common sense - if it is markedly different in-game then use in-game, but if it is easier to illustrate the point out-of-game (like these world gate icons), do so.16:39, November 23, 2016 (UTC)
Closed - The policy page RuneScape:Jagex Cache has been deleted as an extension to removing the subject from the rejected proposals list as decided in Forum:A new kind of model viewer.... Other than that there was no proposal to change anything, but as Gaz said, it's very useful to get images such as the one linked at the top from the cache.
In addition to that, from now on the 4K substance should remember to reference threads in his edit/delete summaries when acting on basis of a discussion (for example when removing things from RS:REJECTED or deleting policy pages), in order to make it easier to find out why he does things. JOEYTJE50TALK pull my finger 16:56, December 2, 2016 (UTC)