Forum:Guidelines for displaying numbers in articles
Currently our style guide is vague on how numbers, including ordinal ones should be presented in articles. The choice is either between word and non-word form, for example: first/1st or four/4. For general writing (outside of wiki), smaller numbers are written in their word form, while the larger numbers vary from guide to guide.
Therefore, for consistency's sake, I propose two/2 options:
- Smaller numbers (1-9) and single-word numbers (10, 20, etc) in word form, and the rest in non-word form
- All numbers in non-word form
The selected rule would also be applied to ordinal numbers.
Support 1 - Would personally prefer to see this as it otherwise, it can look weird, such as on The Codex. 18:48, July 17, 2018 (UTC)
Support 1 - Per Kelse and Sry.19:21, July 17, 2018 (UTC)
- Comment - I do have to comment though, that verbatim stuff, like achievement descriptions, should stay verbatim, e.g. literally the text from in-game.
21:02, July 17, 2018 (UTC)
- Hadn't thought about this, but I'd agree that verbatim would override this rule 11:43, July 20, 2018 (UTC)
Support 1 --20:34, July 17, 2018 (UTC)
Support 1 - I agree with all of the above comments.02:35, July 20, 2018 (UTC)
Support one - You guys are already breaking the rules --21:09, July 22, 2018 (UTC)
- It's not a rule yet! :P 17:12, July 28, 2018 (UTC)
Support 1 - Except fer verbatim and flooring, those should remain as is21:16, July 22, 2018 (UTC)
Support both - When referring to a number, non-word form should be used. When referring to a quantity with a number in full sentences, word form should be used as per suggestion 1. This is the widely used convention about everywhere in the world. Thingummywut (talk) 23:52, July 22, 2018 (UTC)
- Just me being stupid, and not realising it's "one hundred", rather than "hundred". Have removed it. 17:10, July 28, 2018 (UTC)
Support 1/CommentJust as a personal thing I was taught in 11th grade, 1-10 should be word form, and 11+ numbers format. Just my 2 cents. --14:56, August 2, 2018 (UTC)
Comment - What I've always used is: single-digit numbers in prose always in word form, everything else in non-word form including single-digit numbers inside tables and infoboxes. I decided to comment because I've recently noticed some users changing everything into digits in text, and it looks really bad. 5-x Talk 09:12, August 5, 2018 (UTC)