Forum:Griping about lighting detail
So with the introduction of this new lighting detail (I'm sure you've noticed it at the Grand Exchange), we have a bit of conflict with our images policy. The policy says don't use lighting detail for most things, but this lighting detail can't be turned off. Instead of bitching about, we should have an open discussion about it.
I'd like to avoid people saying "It's not a big deal", because lighting detail looks pretty bad in some images (like this), most particularly with a stand-along model against a transparent background. It's especially bad depending on your area; compare: This and This.
The best way to approach this is probably:
- Avoid lighting detail when possible (like equipment images, which can be taken anywhere for the most part)
- Ignore it when you have no choice but (like for NPCs that only appear in an area affected by the lighting)
- Discourage use of lighting detail, particularly when it will make an image distract from the subject or make the subject indiscernible, false, ingenuine, etc.
- Avoid tagging/retaking images that have lighting detail unless the lighting seriously detracts from the quality and integrity of the image
- Update the images and media policy to reflect the above points or whatever the final consensus here is
MolMan 14:44, February 17, 2014 (UTC)
Support - Only thing possible, it seems.
The environment lighting settings used across the area have been updated.
An example. of an area with the new lighting, with lighting detail set to low. We can try and convince Jagex to add an option to turn it off, and as it also causes lag, image-takers won't be the only one with complaints. I get around 6 FPS in areas with the new lighting :(. 14:50, February 17, 2014 (UTC)
There's a lot of people shouting about it on pretty much every fansite and the RSOF. I wouldn't be surprised if Jagex pull a Jagex and start randomly reverting and changing stuff more. Oil4 Talk 19:15, February 17, 2014 (UTC)
- No they will make a poll. 21:46, February 17, 2014 (UTC)
- I just want Burthorpe back... -- 18:00, February 20, 2014 (UTC)
Closed - The thread has been dead for over a month. Try to follow the first four points above (while always using common sense for what looks better, but don't get into an edit war over it). The images and media policy will not be changed (yet) due to lack of discussion. --LiquidTalk 14:57, March 26, 2014 (UTC)