Hi all. When I was playing in-game, we were discussing what we can do about the recent vandal bot that keeps coming up. This idea comes from Legaking. He me permission to suggest it here.
The idea is... What if we used those boxes with pictures of numbers and letters that users would have to put in? This would not be in effect all the time, just when the bot is active. I'm not sure what they are called. Instead of fully-protecting the Wikia, we can add this in temporarily. This way normal users can edit, but not a software program. I have seen this used on other sites, such as YouTube and Yahoo answers. It is a very effective way to prevent spamming/vandalism.
Could this work? Can we add something like this?
- It is called CAPTCHA and we already have one in place, when users create accounts. It is useful to stop bots from creating accounts, but it only takes 10 seconds to create an account, which the user is doing manually, so unfortunately that helps us none. If you're referring to requiring CAPCHA to edit every page, you might want to discuss that with central to see if it's even possible. Karlis (talk) (contribs) 17:57, 7 February 2009 (UTC)
i said we should have every page like so that this evil bot wont workLegaking 19:22, 7 February 2009 (UTC)
- Well certainly it would need a community consensus as it drastically changes the rate users can edit. But before this is discussed, somebody needs to ensure that it can actually happen. You might want to ask a staff member on central wikia. Karlis (talk) (contribs) 19:31, 7 February 2009 (UTC)
- As Special:Protectsite is an outdated feature, I doubt it. Karlis (talk) (contribs) 19:37, 7 February 2009 (UTC)
So, basically an extension exactly like Special:Protectsite, except it makes the site need a captcha to edit for anyone who is not emailconfirmed and autoconfirmed and the account is not at least 2 months old). Sound good? - TehKittyCatTalk Wikian-Book 20:25, 7 February 2009 (UTC)
- Ok a bit more in detail:
- Like Special:Protectsite, except it makes editing require entering a captcha.
- To not be affected by the captcha the user must be:
- A bot, have rollback, be a sysop or bureaucrat.Edit: Removed rollback per below
- Or be emailconfirmed and autoconfirmed and have an account active at least two months.
- TehKittyCatTalk Wikian-Book 20:33, 7 February 2009 (UTC)
Sounds pretty good. Just remove rollback from list of allowed to edit. Why? Because rollback is given to just about anyone that asks, and this vandal is persistent enough to prob make 3 or 9 or 99 accounts, and get rollback on some of them. --Degenret01 00:00, 8 February 2009 (UTC)
- Ok, I agree. I was thinking, well if the rollbacks are the ones reverting the vandals' damage then they should not be affected, but if they are here 2 months then they won't be affected anyway. But, thinking back seeing how someone could use the vandal bots and then revert the vandal's edits to seem like they are not a vandal and have a use for rollback. Then we would have mass vandalizing using rollback 0_o.(Now I feel like a conspirator, but it is the sad reality.) - TehKittyCatTalk Wikian-Book 04:39, 8 February 2009 (UTC)