Forum:External Sponsor Links
Recently (not sure how recently, see further down) Wikia added a new way of advertising - the ability to buy ads to be placed all over the site or on specific pages, for a cost of $5/day per 25% of the site covered, or $5/month per specific page.
I was contacted via email about this by an admin of the site Usfine, a RWIT site. Obviously I reponded that we remove RWIT/gold selling sites ASAP, but thats by the by - the fact that it happened at all is enough to form some sort of danger of a loophole in our anti-RWIT stance on ads.
Whether or not you're aware, on every mainspace page (bar the main page) there's now a section about external links, only shown to logged out users. This appears in both monaco and wikia (probably monobook too), but is not present in the HTML of a page when viewed by a logged in user (unless you change the options in preferences) - its not hidden by CSS. There's also the special page [[Special:AdSS]] where you can apply for the ads.
I'm not sure what to propose or if I can propose anything, but I thought something should be said, so... discuss.15:57, October 21, 2010 (UTC)
Comment - I'm fed up of Wikia, is there no way to have our own site?16:59, October 21, 2010 (UTC)
- There is, but logistically it would be hard. Doesn't mean it's out of the realm of possibilities, just that we shouldn't be worried about that right now, but rather try to find a fix for this, at least temporarily. HaloTalk 17:21, October 21, 2010 (UTC)
Comment - I sent off an e-mail to Wikia asking for them to cut down on the number of external sponsorship links. You'd think that for the price of $20 a day they'd be able to replace those annoying sponsorship ads with (less annoying) real ads, and they'd pull a larger profit. If they don't have a screening process on these ads, they better get one quick, or they'll be getting a lot of queries from us. More usurpation, hooray. ʞooɔ 17:38, October 21, 2010 (UTC)
Comment - Those sponsor links have existed for about as long as [[Special:Outbound]] (which is to say around summer of this year) has been in-use. Seeing as we really can't use [[MediaWiki:Anonnotice]] for the Wikia skin now, there should be a link to the Report bad ads page on one of the other Wikia wikis (not sure if it's the Help Wiki, Community Central, or another wiki for that matter) in the Community Corner, or the Wiki-navigation if we can not have staff remove those links/headers/content. Ryan PM 18:22, October 21, 2010 (UTC)
Comment - Arrgghhh, those ads are getting on my nerves. I honestly thought that a page had been vandalised when I first saw that "Apply for ads" thing. Moving from Wikia is starting to seem more attractive; I researched wiki hosting and found this. I made a test here so have a look and tell me what you think. Real Nub 18:37, October 21, 2010 (UTC)
- Not a possibility imo, as 1. i hate rich text editor and 2. all links have an icon behind it. What is better is keeping the layout and functions as it is, and go to another site that supports that, or create a site ourselves. We don't need any payment other than payment for keeping the site on the internet. This will allow us to remove all ads for other games(giving us the opportunity of becoming a gold/platinum recognised fansite, giving us access to interviews with jagex, and we could remove all of the sponsors. I think making a special site for this wiki is not going to give any financial problems. JOEYTJE50TALK pull my finger 20:12, October 22, 2010 (UTC)
I use the monobook skin and don't see these sponsor links- although I've seen them while logged out, so I know what you're talking about. I even turned off AdBlock+ on an article and looked for ads, and all I saw were two small image ads at the very bottom of the page. So unless I've got something special going on, monobook doesn't display the sponsor links. Another reason to use it, I guess. --Andorin (Talk) (Contribs) 18:41, October 21, 2010 (UTC)
Comment - Is there a way to have it so certian words can stop a website for being added, like runescape and Free gold? It would take a little bit of work from wikia but would remove 99% of the bad adds.05:58, October 22, 2010 (UTC)
- I've got an assurance from Wikia staff that the ads are screened, and they will remove any gold selling ads. ʞooɔ 06:28, October 22, 2010 (UTC)
- That's good, as long as they're screened that does remove a lot of my concerns. 19:18, October 22, 2010 (UTC)
Comment - I cant see them, i edited my skin to remove that crap =p, --20:25, October 22, 2010 (UTC)
- ^^not helping the discussion in any way... JOEYTJE50TALK pull my finger 20:40, October 22, 2010 (UTC)