Forum:Extended requirements on quest articles
The consensus at this thread was to implement extended quest requirements, but we actually need to do it now. I've decided to move the discussion for this to a new thread.
I recommend reading everything on that page from the section "Extended requirements implementation" and below before commenting here.
Note that this thread is for deciding how to implement the extended requirements. Don't go ahead and do it just yet.
Discuss.21:32, August 24, 2010 (UTC)
- The exact opposite is true, actually. Programming the bot will take much longer, the chances of error will go up quite a bit because it is such an involved task, and it will be much less efficient for these reasons. 15:36, August 30, 2010 (UTC)
Manually - Per what I said to 222.15:36, August 30, 2010 (UTC)
Comment - Please remember we can also standardize the requirements field and use a script, which is basically the best of both worlds.15:58, August 30, 2010 (UTC)
- Actually, I've read through the forum, and I still don't understand exactly what is going on here :P. From what it looks like, a simple find and replace should do the trick, although if it is more complex than that then it might be worth doing manually. Sorry, ajr 16:16, August 30, 2010 (UTC)
- I think (though I am no expert on bots) that the task may be a bit too complex for a simple bot. Programming one that does it well would probably take ± as long as doing it manually, but I'd rather do it manually (because then we can start right now). Oil4 Talk 16:22, August 30, 2010 (UTC)
Bots - I frankly don't care as long as it gets done. But I think we should have someone who can actually program something like this (Ajr seems to know what he's talking about) tell us if it's worth it to use a bot. I have no idea what is actually involved, but Ajr seems to, and I'm very inclined to agree with him. HaloTalk 16:12, August 30, 2010 (UTC)
- Support closure - Just Be bold! (also not commented for 3,948 days). JOEYTJE50TALK pull my finger 12:35, October 21, 2010 (UTC)
Comment - I strongly suggest every one to read what TLUL said, as it clearly demonstrates what is involved in the process of extended requirements. As for my position on bots/manually, I think some (most?) people are more qualified than me to do this and that TLUL's analysis should help them decide. 21:53, September 29, 2010 (UTC)
Comment - I will add it to some quest guides right now. After that, i am starting a yg thread with about if we should add what quests follow after the quest to the Template:Quest details. This thing does not require yg discussion so should be closed. If was most likely just something like "i suggested it but i don't wanna do all work, so i am letting other people do that", well, it worked. JOEYTJE50TALK pull my finger 12:43, October 21, 2010 (UTC)
- I [[w:c:chicken7:User talk:Chicken7#Hover over sigexpand thingy|requested]] a method which would be useful for these extended rewards. Please see [[w:c:chicken7:User talk:Chicken7#Hover over sigexpand thingy|this page]] for more about it. JOEYTJE50TALK pull my finger 13:13, October 21, 2010 (UTC)
- Also, discussing in this thread costs more time than just doing it. JOEYTJE50TALK pull my finger 15:36, October 27, 2010 (UTC)
Closed - Whoever with enough time and dedication and resources to do this is free to do so. The discussion here has produced very little meaningful discussion, but bots or manual methods can be utilized. --LiquidTalk 00:32, November 14, 2010 (UTC)