Forum:Exchange namespace guidelines
With the closing of Forum:Allow users to edit Exchange namespace, it appears that there is a lack of back-up system for when Jagex's GE Database breaks. I would like to propose a series of steps to be taken when this happens again, avoiding unnecessary bureaucracy for something not very difficult or controversial.
When prices on the GED do not update:
- Import Quarenon's GE update script into [[MediaWiki:Common.js]], removing the current script from [[MediaWiki:Group-autoconfirmed.js]].
- Add a notice to MediaWiki:Sitenotice and the main page notifying users of the changes.
When certain items are not found on the GED:
- Import Quarenon's script (linked above) into [[MediaWiki:Common.js]], but only load on the pages that have no GED counterpart - example.
- Adjust the imported GE update script in [[MediaWiki:Group-autoconfirmed.js]] to not load on the broken pages - example. For this simply add pages to the array
- A main page announcement/sitenotice can be added depending on how widespread the bug is.
When either of these occurs:
- Remove the edit button from the Exchange namespace - example. This can be done on specific pages if necessary, but frankly I don't think it hurts.
- Create a thread in the Yew Grove to notify the wiki of your actions, similar to when Special:ProtectSite is used.
- Contact Wikia to remove the exchange protection (reference the above thread when doing so to keep staff happy).
- If possible contact Jagex, either through the fansite support forums or whatever methods are available.
When the bug is fixed reverse whatever changes that have been made, and close the thread.
Support -06:51, April 26, 2013 (UTC)
Support - sounds good.
Oil4 I made this 07:31, April 28, 2013 (UTC)
Closed - Guidelines can be found at RS:EXCHANGE. [[MediaWiki:Common.js]] and [[MediaWiki:Group-autoconfirmed.js]] have been adjusted to accept pages that may be affected should this happen again. cqm 13:56, 16 May 2013 (UTC) (UTC)