Forum:Disambiguating (pages with identical names)
I brought up moving Gemstone Dragons back to its original title of "Gemstone Dragons (music track)" in Discord yesterday and found not everyone agreed, so here we are.
We have probably dozens of multiple-word articles whose names only differ by capitalization: Varrock teleport and Varrock Teleport, Bloodied kyzaj and Bloodied Kyzaj, Wolf whistle and Wolf Whistle, etc. Using the exact title shown in-game, and no more, is unnecessarily anal and follows our guidelines to the extreme. It is:
- confusing when reading links, such as in lists on disambiguation pages where users often do not write descriptions
- confusing when adding links, especially with link suggest; editors unaware of a difference between the pages might link to a completely different subject than they intended
- confusing when searching in the global navigation, where almost-identical pages are listed by autocomplete without explanation
I propose we use a parenthetical disambiguation for pages with identical names, which is clearer for both readers and editors. Determining which article should be moved is already covered by RuneScape:Style guide/Disambiguation. As an example, the location Shantay Pass is more commonly referenced and used than the discontinued Shantay pass, making it the primary topic. Therefore, the item should be moved to "Shantay pass (item)".
Support as nominator --09:33, April 17, 2018 (UTC)
Support - Capitalisation should never be the only thing that differentiates the title of articles.10:47, April 17, 2018 (UTC)
Support/Comment - I'm guessing this would include pages such as Deep-Sea Fishing and Deep Sea Fishing, where the only thing separating them is a hyphen. Because I've mistakenly gone onto the wrong page many times. 11:33, April 17, 2018 (UTC)
- I believe the same thing applies to hypen as the capital letters, as this also might get people and editors confused. 18:55, April 19, 2018 (UTC)
Support - Totally agree.13:16, April 17, 2018 (UTC)
Support - I thought this was already a thing.17:51, April 17, 2018 (UTC)
Support/Question - Necessary anal only. As a clarification, would this mean we have Shantay Pass (location) and Shantay pass (item) with the location being the target of a redirect on Shantay [Pp]ass? And then have a cqm 18:44, 19 Apr 2018 (UTC) (UTC)on both?
- I don't think the
(Disambig}is necessary on both pages, as stated on my support comment below 18:50, April 19, 2018 (UTC)
- I disagree. If we feel the need to identify one because it can be confused with the other, then the reverse it also true. Furthermore, deciding which is the more common reference might be clear cut in the examples given so far, but will be subjective at some point in the future. Requiring both be tagged is makes it unambiguous no matter what you end up searching, especially as linksuggest also resolves redirects. cqm 21:29, 21 Apr 2018 (UTC) (UTC)
Support - I think we should have the most commonly refered as the main article and the rest with the
(Disambig) on the title. 18:50, April 19, 2018 (UTC)
Closed - RuneScape:Disambiguation will be updated to state that articles whose only differences in capitalization or punctuation should have disambiguated titles. --LiquidTalk 12:37, April 26, 2018 (UTC)