Forum:Copying Jagex Wiki Pages
Since the Jagex Wiki was introduced many of the links to the old Knowledge Base were deleted on the basis that it was as much a community input, and thus possibly inaccurate, as here. That is not to mention none of the links still work. For anyone interested Smithing thoughtfully archived many of the pages before they were deleted.
Whilst we still have links to the Postbag, God Letters, and the Player gallery, there isn't a policy on whether we can copy Jagex wiki pages verbatim or take parts out of them where necessary. I believe the Game Guide picture policy is unchanged from before the Jagex Wiki was introduced.
The discussion from when the Wiki was first mentioned is here, and the discussion from when it was released can be seen here. As far as I can tell the discussion covered what it might mean in terms of competition and later moved on to editors there copying content and copying images. The opposite does not seem to have been considered.
In terms of competition, as of writing it is no major issue, and editors on the Jagex Wiki are making an effort to stop content copying. Picture copying is still a bit of a grey area although one editor makes a good, albeit ignored, point.
Whilst I realise copying Community powered pages is completely pointless as we can probably write something equal or better ourselves, copying Jagex approved pages may have it's merits provided it's legal. For those of you unaware of the difference this is a community written page and this is a Jagex written page (note the colour of the ribbons on the top left).
Forum: Lores Project asked whether it was permitted to copy in-game dialogue, and we got the all clear for that provided we attributed ownership to Jagex. However, the response received did not cover Jagex wiki content.
|“||Concerning the transcripts of in-game dialogue, you may post them on your fansite as long as our copyright is respected and the transcript is taken directly from read in-game text.
Please bear in mind that while our copyright has to be respected at all times, we recognise you as true fans and it’s a pleasure to read how in-depth you wish to delve into RuneScape.
Originally provided by Cook.
The options are as follows:
- Copy content from all Jagex Wiki pages
- Copy content from Jagex approved wiki pages
- Reference all Jagex Wiki pages
- Reference Jagex approved Wiki pages
- Only reference player submitted content, such as Postbags or God Letters.
Support 5 and
3 4 - on the basis that player submitted content shouldn't change (although there are instances where it does) and Jages wiki content should always be correct. cqm talk 19:08, February 21, 2012 (UTC)
- It is utterly pointless to reference player submitted content. This wiki itself has player submitted content and last time I checked we were way better than them. Why would we even want to reference player submitted content? bad_fetustalk 20:11, February 21, 2012 (UTC)
Support 4 - If I understand this correctly, 4 is stating we can use the data on Jagex written pages as a reference. This sounds about akin to how to would reference the old knowledge base (game guide) back when it wasn't a wiki. It should be noted, of course, that even Jagex written articles aren't necessarily correct - the Knowledge Base had many errors throughout the years. As for player edited articles, I see no reason to use them at all, as not only can we make better articles ourselves, but there articles can very much be wrong. Hofmic Talk 19:44, February 21, 2012 (UTC)
- Just to avoid any confusion, your understanding of 4 is correct. cqm talk 21:57, February 21, 2012 (UTC)
Support 4 & 5 - I don't see any reason why we would need to reference their wiki or copy their terrible junk. If anything, they should be referencing ours, given their current lack of... stuff. We could benefit from referencing Jagex-approved pages (the rules page, for example), and player-submitted content (postbags, for example). Also, we should find out if we can copy/paste postbag transcripts (with a reference to their wiki page on it), as that would look better than having nothing more than a link to their wiki. 21:29, February 21, 2012 (UTC)
- Copying content from the other wiki is a big no-no. Not only is it likely against both our license and theirs, but it's hypocritical and goes against our message. Besides, the content is less reliable and consistent than ours.
- Copying Jagex-approved information from their wiki may or may not be illegal, depending on the scope of the content and the attribution given. I realize that in some cases the official wiki is the only source for some material, but they're the ones that wrote it and it wouldn't be right for us to use it. I will enquire further.
- Referencing all Jagex Wiki pages is a very bad idea -- not only is their content incomplete and lesser than ours, but it's player-made. It would be like us referencing old versions of our own pages as a source. Besides, it gives them a leg up in SEO that I'd like to avoid.
- Provided that their wiki is the only source for information (pronunciation, Gaalsien, etc.), it's acceptable to reference them, although whether we do that in an official manner (with citations) remains to be seen. I'd like to avoid linking to them if we can.
- I have no problem with creating pages that reference or cite postbags, lores, God letters or perhaps the gallery. The content was not created by the editors, and it's in a separate part of their wiki that remains unspoiled. Copying the letters and postbags is a different matter entirely -- I would be inclined to say that we have permission to do this, although I don't know if we actually want to. ʞooɔ 22:04, February 21, 2012 (UTC)
Support 4 and 5 - They cannot be edited by players, so they don't fall into the trap that usually comes from referencing wikis - that the information is user submitted and is subject to error/bias. And unless a Jmod goes rogue and starts putting in false information, they are a reliable resource22:19, February 21, 2012 (UTC)
Support 4 and 5 - I utterly refuse to cite any of the shit editors put on the Jagex Wiki. We are better off citing ourselves. Citing Jagex mod maintained articles and static Jagex approved player submissions is fine. 222 talk 05:13, February 22, 2012 (UTC)
Support 4 and 5 - We know that Jagex approved pages are official and don't present misinformation, therefore, it's best that we only reference them. ɳex undique 02:16, February 24, 2012 (UTC)
Support 4 - Not much to say really, just my two cents. Raglough 13:55, February 24, 2012 (UTC)
Support 4 and 5 - not got anything more to add that hasn't already been said.13:57, February 24, 2012 (UTC)
Comment - it has since come to my attention that articles like Guthix quote God letters which would come under suggestion 2. I would imagine postbags are quoted in various places too. cqm talk 17:30, February 26, 2012 (UTC)
Support 4 and 5 Per Cook, really. Don't go copying their editor's crap (our editor's crap is far superior). Also I think we should avoid copying information from them wherever we can find it ourselves. I suppose that goes without mentioning though. -- Cycloneblaze (user - talk - contribs) 10:14, March 4, 2012 (UTC)
Closed - Jagex approved wiki pages and player submitted content such as postbags and god letters can be referenced01:03, March 19, 2012 (UTC)