Forum:Consensus on calculator landing page
To view the proposed page, place
@import url("/w/User:Sahima_Badir/Calculators/style.css?action=raw&ctype=text/css"); in your common.css file and head over to the pages linked at the bottom.
- Subsections are colour-coded for quick visibility
- Subsections have been split into several categories - General, Artisan skills, Combat skills, Gathering skills, and Support skills
- Other section has been removed and split into several subcategories, since it's not a useful categorisation for the end user
- Calculator format has been removed from the interface as JS and GEMW would mean little to end users. This data is still present in the template and can be re-added quickly if needed
- Individual calculators now have icons for quick recognition. For example, the sign of the porter calculator shows a sign of the porter. Not all icons are obvious, but should help regular users recognise frequently used calculators
- Calculators are further subcategorised into several types to help users identify profit calculators, experience calculators etc.
- Keywords in calculator titles are shown in bold to facilitate skim-reading
- Multi-column layout to reduce page height
- /wiki links!
The options are:
- Support - Update the landing page to User:Sahima Badir/Calculators, with sticky section headers for ease of navigation
- Support (non-stick) - Update the landing page to User:Sahima Badir/Calculators (No Sticky), without sticky headers for the sake of convention
- Oppose - Keep the landing page as it is now
I'll still be taking feedback, but barring any major issues, the current plan is to move this over to mainspace soon and settle minutiae there.
Support - Overall I feel the issue of navigation has been addressed with each of the calculators being more easily identifiable at a glance. Sticky headers, though not standard convention, allow users to scroll quickly through the increasing number of calculators. - Sahima (Talk) 23:20, 6 October 2019 (UTC)
Support - The new landing page is so much more scanable and aesthetically pleasing. I think the sticky headers work particularly well here. I don't think they should become a standard convention, but that shouldn't stop us from employing them in certain cases. LadyWindgrace (talk) 21:32, 8 October 2019 (UTC)
Support - I have a feeling with the new 120 skills and Archaeology, calculators will only grow in number, so keep the sticky headers for now! --WINE OF GOOD HEALTH (Actually Stinko) 21:41, 8 October 2019 (UTC)
Support - The calculator page as it currently stands is not appealing, and difficult to navigate. The proposed changes would drastically improve both these things.17:04, 10 October 2019 (UTC)
Support non-sticky - I like it, but don't think the sticky heads really add anything. i would suggest adding a TOC for the sections to make it a bit easier to navigate rather than just linking to the skills themselves (or adding a nested TOC for headers and skills). As an aside, I noticed that you were trying to target lightmode specifically with CSS, so I've sent Jayden some code to add a lightmode body class to make that easier. cqm talk 14:58, 13 October 2019 (UTC)
Closed - there is support to make the planned changes to the landing page, with a couple of feedback points.15:54, 15 November 2019 (UTC)