Forum:Concept Art Page?
Hey, never posted in this forum before, but i'll give it my best shot ^_^
As of recent, Jagex happen to have released quite alot of concept art images in dribs and drabs so to speak in various places all over the internet. Now I for one hate trying to remember which piece of concept art is hosted where and etc. So I was wondering if it would be possible to create a concept art page to collect all the runescape related concept art Jagex releases to the public so that it is easy to find, and can house any relevant information or discussions on particular pieces of art.
Now I have made quite a few edits, and can create this my page myself, but alot of this artwork is demed "Site x exclusive" concept art, so my biggest concern is the issue of copyright.
I was wondering if someone could shed some light on this issue, as this is a project I would very much like to undertake, but due to copyright, I fear it may not be legally possible
Thanks in advance guys :P Gr33nday345 20:19, September 20, 2009 (UTC)
Comment - All concept art by Jagex is only realeased on FunOrb, RuneScape, or the Jagex websites. So, any other concept art in places elseware are not created by Jagex. Plus, the image and media policy states:
Images must be created by the wiki community, not by other fansites or the Game guide.
So, even if it is by Jagex, we can't use it. — Enigma 02:24, September 21, 2009 (UTC)
Comment - Enigma thats ridiculous. Per RS:IAR we can do what we please. As for legality, Jagex themselves said fansites can use the concept art ( Question 2 specifically). And once again, this would qualify as fair use even if they just released it and didn't say anything. TEbuddy 03:43, September 21, 2009 (UTC)
Comment - Concept art is not only released on official Jagex sites, hense the reason I actually created this thread... There are quite a few 'supported rs fansites' now, and Jagex has released exclusive concept art to them depicting future content such as Zemoregal's Fortress   the new look style for dragons (fist featured in unstable foundations)  the skeletal horror and bone arena from RABM2   and the new look abyssal whip , each piece of concept released to a fansite, each bearing the rs logo.... Gr33nday345 06:22, September 21, 2009 (UTC)
- All the links are broken...? — Enigma 23:27, September 21, 2009 (UTC)
- Reload it once it says it is broken and it will work, RuneHQ I presume is trying to prevent othrs from linking to the images. - TehKittyCatTalk Wikian-Book 01:03, September 22, 2009 (UTC)
Comment - As per consensus before, we want to avoid any legal suits with JaGeX, so RS:IAR should be used within legal limits pertaining to real life. Chaos Monk Talk • Sign 01:15, September 24, 2009 (UTC)
- What is that even suppose to mean? TEbuddy 02:02, September 24, 2009 (UTC)
- That basically means we shouldn't copy stuff from a JaGeX based website, since that's a little thing called copyright infringement. We do not have their permission to post anything that they themselves made (No, screenshots are different, I'm not going to go into that). Surely you can understand the possible legal issues? Chaos Monk Talk • Sign 02:16, September 24, 2009 (UTC)
- Did you not read anything posted? When someone says "We retain the right to revoke your permission to use our stuff" it can be safely assumed that in order to revoke permission, we have to have that permission in the first place. Also, fair use. Also, they are giving stuff to fansites on purpose with the intention of it being used. Please, bring significant legal proof to the table or dont repeat the same thing over and over again. TEbuddy 02:21, September 24, 2009 (UTC)
- And all I am saying is that only mentioning it like we need to be weary makes it seem like you don't understand what copyrights are and how exactly they can be used in a legal situation. I am no lawyer so please I don't mean to seem condescending, but in a situation like this where we have permission and fair use applies anyway, it is no reason to not do something. I dont mean bring to the table as some sort of criteria you have t meet so dont take it personally, we are in a discussion and its a figure of speech. TEbuddy 19:51, September 24, 2009 (UTC)
"A Cole asks: Are you going to continue to give 3rd party sites exclusive concept art, etc. without posting it on your own site? (Whether it be a day or a week after the initial release on the 3rd party site - You don't want to encourage site advertising to fake sites now, do you?)
Mod Kelvin: The short answer is yes. :) We’ve been building relationships with fansites, and releasing exclusive concept art to them is our way of saying "thanks for being awesome; we absolutely love what you do for our community".
If someone is dead set on copying images, they’ll do so regardless of whether we release concept art to other sites or have it on our own. Rest assured, however, that the ICU team in Player Support invest a significant amount of time in looking for and removing fake sites - we take copyright issues very seriously."
Closed We may only use JaGex fanart, none from other sites. If we do not already have one, a "fanart" template would be a good way to link them all together.--Degenret01 09:34, December 12, 2009 (UTC)