Forum:Community has gone too far
I know I haven't been the most active person as of late, but I'm going to try to concentrate on the matter at heart here.
Personally, I'm disgusted by the way many of our members are acting. I personally don't have an affection for Parsons, but I'm not going to treat him like crap, even if he makes a stupid forum thread. God knows I've done the same myself.
All the signature stuff has gone on too long. I don't think Parsons was right, but I don't think anyone quoting him in their signature is right either.
I don't even think we need consensus here, I think we need to adhere by policies. I think this is a strong breach of UTP, and I also think it reflects very badly on the wiki as a whole.
I'm sure it started as a joke, just to have fun, which is fine. But when I see more signatures with a line from the above linked forum than without it, I can tell you things have gone on too far. HaloTalk 16:30, September 26, 2010 (UTC)
Comment - It's a joke, ask Parsons, he doesn't care.16:49, September 26, 2010 (UTC)
- I don't care if Parsons cares. It's not funny anymore, it's over the top and ridiculous. It reflects badly on our wiki as a whole. HaloTalk 16:51, September 26, 2010 (UTC)
Comment - I dint know about this, now you all hurt my feeling! i thought u all liked me, i thought i was helping! that forum was a mistake and i said that, now your making fun of me behind my bad! that just really upsets me. --17:13, September 26, 2010 (UTC)
- Given that, I'm removing it from all signatures. With or without consensus, that is a breach of UTP. You can bitch at me later. HaloTalk 17:41, September 26, 2010 (UTC)
- There's a list on Psychos page. 17:53, September 26, 2010 (UTC)
Comment - I believe the majority of them have been removed. Note: this should not be closed because I'm expecting some people will want to bitch at me, and I would prefer here to my talk page. Cheers, HaloTalk 18:12, September 26, 2010 (UTC)
- I left edit summaries on most of them, but I forgot on a few. Sorry on those I forgot. HaloTalk 18:20, September 26, 2010 (UTC)
O_O - (Edit conflict with Halo)I didn't realise that all of the Psycho Robot references in signatures were quotes from that thread. Now that I know, I'm completely shocked by the way some of our community was treating Parsons. I've just lost a lot of respect for certain members of this community. People should know better than that. I'm a regular user and I approve this message.
Comment - I agree with TLUL, I didn't quite understand what that signature stuff was all about, but finding out it was from Parsons's thread is quite shocking, really. I find this to be very disappointing, we know better.18:28, September 26, 2010 (UTC)
Comment - I wasn't originally aware of what the quotes in some users' signatures meant until I went looking through a few of these users' talk pages last night to see what this new "fad" was about. I was shocked to find out the origin of these quotes and the emotional effect these quotes could have on Parsons, but unfortunately, I didn't feel at the time that it was my place to do anything since I didn't want to start a big fuss by forcing users to change their signatures without reaching consensus on the matter, so the only thing I did about it was not to become involved until now. I agree with Halo that this is a serious breach of RS:UTP, and even though I personally think that he should have waited until consensus was reached before changing other users' signatures so as to avoid a heated debate over whether the changes were warranted or not, I do agree that he did do the right thing regardless. I know that these quotes were just supposed to be a harmless prank, but since Parsons wasn't aware that this little joke was being made at his expense until Halo started this discussion, this prank was in poor taste altogether. Sorry for the huge wall of text, but I just felt that I needed to throw my two cents into this discussion since I'm also disappointed about the behavior of some of the more respected users on the Wiki.  18:34, September 26, 2010 (UTC)
- Be bold, Ignore all rules/use common sense, user treatment, and Parson's above comment. <- My consensus. HaloTalk 18:44, September 26, 2010 (UTC)
- Ah, good point. In any case, I'm glad you're courageous enough to do the right thing without worrying what others might think. That's my biggest problem, it seems.  18:48, September 26, 2010 (UTC)
Comment - I'll admit the joke went too far. But the intent was never to make fun of parsons or to hurt his feelings, the only reason I added it into my sig was because I thought it was funny-sounding and would make a good motto/sig. However I'm not exactly sure what this thread is supposed to accomplish. It seems like nothing but a venue for people to post how shocked and appalled they are. While I can see why they could be, it doesn't seem like a very productive line of discussion. Yes we were wrong, and yes they should be removed. Is there anything more to say?19:08, September 26, 2010 (UTC)
- Close it if you want. There is nothing else to say. But people will want to know what happened, and I assure you someone will want to chew me out. HaloTalk 19:23, September 26, 2010 (UTC)
- Cmon guys, let's quote things from this thread now! JOEYTJE50TALK pull my finger 20:46, September 26, 2010 (UTC)
Hello --Forgotten noob 21:18, September 26, 2010 (UTC)Forgotten Noob
Comment - I think that Halo acted appropriately in this case. I added it to my signature to have a little joke, but if it offends Parsons, then it should be removed, regardless of what any consensus says. That being said, I doubt anyone will want to chew Halo out, so I'm making this a notice of intent to anyone that does, that he or she has about 24 hours to yell at him before I close this. --LiquidTalk 21:30, September 26, 2010 (UTC)
Comment - Do I get the honour of having it removed from my signature template page by Halo? 00:40, September 27, 2010 (UTC)
- I don't dare hope to remove all traces from it from the wiki, and as it's just in your history (just like anyone else), I left that alone. HaloTalk 00:59, September 27, 2010 (UTC)
Parsons, I'm sorry for the way I and some other users treated you. It should never have happened and I should not have taken part. Halo acted appropriately. I hope you can forgive us for what we've done. ʞooɔ 03:40, September 27, 2010 (UTC)
Comment - At first I thought everyone was bagging out Psycho... And then I changed my sig to accuse everyone of smoking dwarf weed. I shouldn't have changed it to a quote after that, sorry Parsonsda - [Pharos] 10:24, September 27, 2010 (UTC)