Forum:City Template boxes
In most of the articles, like Lumbridge, in the right City template, there is a map in the image-place. As I'm a WikiFairy, I prefer placing a screenshot of that area, like I did in Uzer Mastaba. I don't know if this has been discussed before, and it probably is something small, but can we replace the maps by screenshots? The map can be placed somewhere in the article.
- Support - Per above. . 16:26, 24 May 2009 (UTC)
- Neutral, leaning towards map - IMO, it would be better to have a map of the place. It helps people know exactly where the area is in relation to other commonly known areas.
- Question - Lumbridge is a big city, and a map best represents the city. How would you take a single screenshot for Lumbridge? 13:47, 25 May 2009 (UTC)
- Screenshot of the world map, and if too large resize it proportionally.
- Is that the answer on Az question, or a suggestion? And Azliq, it would be useful to take a shot of the most recognizable place, like this Lumbridge castle (check?) The map can then be placed directly under the template box, or somewhere else. . 18:12, 25 May 2009 (UTC)
- The Lumbridge castle is not Lumbridge. Unless the area is small enough (i.e. Uzer Mastaba) where you can get a single screenshot which includes the entire area, a map might be the most suitable image for the template. Places like Varrock, Lumbridge, Ardougne, etc. are just too big to be represented by a single screenshot...
- By the way, the example given above is definitely not representative of Lumbridge. It just shows a person in a middle of an enclosed area. One can hardly tell if the area is within the Lumbridge castle. 14:58, 26 May 2009 (UTC)
Keep Maps - There's usually plenty of images of the city elsewhere in the article (or space to put such images), yet the map is the most important image on the page (IMHO) and hence goes near the top.18:22, 25 May 2009 (UTC)
Keep Maps - Like Gaz Lloyd said, there is plenty of space to put images. In the lumbridge article there's this big index, and to the right there is just white space. You could move a picture of Lumby under the Info template, like Nardah. IMO it would look nicer to have a screenshot at the top instead of the map, but people recognize towns earlier from the map rather then a screenshot. 00:20, 27 May 2009 (UTC)
Keep maps - Because of the way Template:Infobox City is designed, it is limited to one image in the area for them. Since we can't have both with the current coding for the template, I find it more preferable to have the image which would display the generality and layout of the location more. I suppose that the infobox could always be changed to allow two images on top of each other; one for the map, and another for scenery of the town. But since that isn't currently possible, I'd go for keeping it used for maps. Chiafriend12Loon is best buttlord 04:38, 28 May 2009 (UTC)
Keep maps - Many areas are large, larger than one screenshot can handle. Maps would show more of what the town looks like, for easy access to the features of it. Perhaps screenshots could go in a gallery or in a part of the article? ~MuzTalk
- Close this discussion, please. We keep the maps! I thought, lets bring this up, as it was never really clearly said. . 05:57, 29 May 2009 (UTC)
Closed - Author request; the image in Template:Infobox City will remain a map. 10:10, 29 May 2009 (UTC)