Forum:Chia betrayed our friendship!
Joke title aside just a PSA since an admin recently had his account hacked it may be a good time for anyone with an easily guessable password to update it. Or just update it if it's been awhile. Remember, Don't be a Chia. fetus is my son and I love him. 19:20, May 27, 2016 (UTC)
MolMan 19:42, May 27, 2016 (UTC)
- As an aside, does anyone want to try and educate the person on that thread who thinks an account hack and a site hack are the same thing? I'm getting bored of his idiocy and his rampant unthinking hatred of the wiki.
20:21, May 27, 2016 (UTC)
- Don't see a point. Just downvote all that his says with all power available. MolMan 20:22, May 27, 2016 (UTC)
I'm an agent working with wikia and i believe this was a coordinated effort of the international web division of the Yakuza who attacked chia. We'll be releasing a statement shortly. KλT 20:24, May 27, 2016 (UTC)
- It may also have been the fabled criminal mastermind known only as "The 13th Friend". MolMan 20:25, May 27, 2016 (UTC)
Serious comment - Here's a timeline of the events (in UTC):
- 17:04 - Chiafriend12 (compromised) edits several pages (the main page and the key pages linked from the top of it), replacing the page with links to a RuneScape private server
- 17:04 - Coelacanth0794 immediately reverts the edits and blocks Chia for a week
- Chia's account does not unblock himself, so I suspect the compromiser is an ameteur and doesn't really know what he's doing
- 17:04 - A few chats explode
- 17:08 - Coel revdels the revisions and edit summaries
- 17:10 - I contact VSTF
- ~17:15 - Chia is phalanxed (globally blocked). He is contacted via Facebook by a few people.
- 18:56 - Chias join IRC. We explain what's going on and he works on finding out what the security problem was on his end. I'll leave it to him to explain more, if he wants.
When Chia sorts stuff out, he can be unblocked by VSTF, and
will retain his adminship for now. Edit: Chia has requested his adminship be replaced by rollback for the time being. He can request his adminship back from a 'crat in future if he likes. I am assuming everyone is ok with that - do say if you are not.
Urbancowgurl777 said in chat that someone attempted to login to her account too, and she got a temporary password email (relevant hilights - full diff). So, sysops be wary. As always, don't click links in emails to login - manually navigate your browser to Special:UserLogin and login there. 21:42, May 27, 2016 (UTC)
- HA HA! I NINJA-ED YOU TO THE PSA. fetus is my son and I love him. 22:38, May 27, 2016 (UTC)
Support great idea, we should ban Chia indefinitely --21:49, May 28, 2016 (UTC)
Closed - Okay you've had your fun. You're probably preaching to the choir with your PSA anyways as it's unlikely any inactive sysops will see this thread. Due to a complaint from Elune, let the record show that I strongly approve of this forum title. --LiquidTalk 03:50, May 30, 2016 (UTC)
- yay! fetus is my son and I love him. 16:46, May 31, 2016 (UTC)