Forum:Capitalization of disambigs and player-owned things
A. General disambigs[edit source]
Recently there was a discussion on Discord about the capitalization of the words in disambiguation parentheses (e.g., the plant in Watermelon (plant)). In light of someone earlier today changing the capitalization on a bunch of pages, I figured we should have a thread on the topic.
Currently, we are very inconsistent when it comes to how we capitalize them. Some are uppercase, some are lowercase. We should have a guideline for this, to be consistent.
- All lowercase, except for proper nouns
- Capitalize the first letter only
- Capitalize every word
B. Player-owned things[edit source]
In addition, there is also inconsistency regarding player-owned things—ports, houses, and farms. They are inconsistently capitalized around the wiki—the Player-owned port article only has "Player" capitalized, and it's usually capitalized (in sentences, for example), but many pages use "Player-owned port" (in the middle of a sentence, unnecessary capital P), or "Player-Owned Port". So, we should also have a guideline for how to capitalize the player-owned things.
- Use lowercase, e.g. player-owned port
- Capitalize the first letter only, e.g. Player-owned port
- Capitalize the three words, e.g. Player-Owned Port
- Skill names are indeed considered proper nouns when used as such, so the Farming skill, but I am farming (as per RuneScape:Style guide#Wording). 08:55, 7 February 2020 (UTC)
Support A1, B1 - Mostly indifferent between A1 and A3, but A1 is better I guess, as long as consistency is there. and per cat, skills names captalized is big importantChoppe (talk) 22:38, 6 February 2020 (UTC)
Support A1, B1 - As per everyone else re: skills Badassiel 22:54, 6 February 2020 (UTC)
Support A1, B3 - A1 because even though RS:DAB doesn't explicitly say it, it's what all the examples do. I slightly prefer B3 over B1, since
Player-Owńed Ports Player-Owned Port is listed in the minigames interface alongside Castle Wars, which we don't usually refer to as castle wars. Though I'm fine with B1 as well, as long as we're consistent. 23:01, 6 February 2020 (UTC)
Support A1, B1 - A1 seems obvious to me, just based on the few disambiguation pages I've been on. I think technically B3 is what Jagex does with updates, but we are a strong, independent wiki, B1 it is. IWolffi (talk) 23:13, 6 February 2020 (UTC)
Supprt A1/B4 - A1 is better because there's no reason to capitalize anything but a proper noun in this case. In the case of Watermelon (Plant), "Plant" is neither a proper noun nor a new sentence, it's just describing what came before it. Capitalizing doesn't conform to any grammar rule, and probably goes against it, so I'd prefer to leave it uncapitalized.
For B, I'm less certain. POP is a minigame, does that mean it's a proper noun? To go off I Am Me's example, it's "Castle Wars," not "castle wars." I think it does deserve capitals, but following the proper rules of grammar would make it "Player-owned Ports," not "Player-Owned Ports." Per Wikipedia's style guide, "Do not use a capital letter after a hyphen except for a proper name: Graeco-Roman and Mediterranean-style, but not Gandhi-Like." I think the Chicago Manual of Style agrees with this, because I found a source that says (at least a decade ago) "Do not capitalize the second element if (a) it is a participle modifying the first element or (b) both elements constitute a single word," but I'm trying to find a copy and see if this was updated at all. ɳex undique 00:19, 7 February 2020 (UTC)
- Reasoning for "Player-Owned Port" is due to it being capitalized as such in game. Chen (talk) 00:21, 7 February 2020 (UTC)
- Oh, that's annoying. It's not even consistently used though, since Portnight says "player-owned port", VIP - Very important Portmaster says "player owned port," but the Achievement subcategory itself also says "Player-Owned Port". As long as we're deciding to not follow Jagex's main example (and since it seems they don't even have an absolute standard themselves), idk I still think we should go for the grammatically correct option. ɳex undique 00:37, 7 February 2020 (UTC)
Support A1/B4 - As per Nex, B3 at a stretch, otherwise B2. No to B1.06:53, 7 February 2020 (UTC)
Support A1/B1* - It should both be lowercased, however cases like the Player-Owned Port achievements which is taken verbatim from the game should remain verbatim however inconsistent it may be. 08:55, 7 February 2020 (UTC)
Support A1/B1* - All lowercase is probably better (I'm probably someone who tends to add to many capitals because German and also titles). But for non-disambig such as actual page names they should match the in game name. For in text references the capitalization should probably all be lowercase or match the target page name.13:38, 7 February 2020 (UTC)
Support A1/B1 -15:14, 9 February 2020 (UTC)