I have found that the organization of the Archaeology information isn't perfect for my needs. My primary information needs are as follows:
- I have reached a new level and unlocked a new excavation hotspot. How do I find it? Which artifacts does it have? How many of them do I need (collections + toolbelt + relics)?
- I have a partially complete collection, where should I go to get the rest of it? Which level do I need?
- I want to browse the list of relic powers, and easily find where to go to unlock it.
Furthermore I think the split of Artifact and Artifact (damaged) is bad and only makes it harder to get all the relevant information. Artifact lists collections, (damaged) lists excavation hotspot. It's nicer to have these on the same page. Hippsomhapp (talk) 19:37, 12 April 2021 (UTC)
Comment - I'm confused. Outside of the restored/damaged artefact pages being combined, what changes are you proposing?
- Excavation hotspots have an interactive map + prose on the page about where to find it. It also shows all of the artefacts available.
- If you go onto the collection page, there is a lighttable in which you can highlight which artefacts you have and don't have.
- Relic power exists, but I guess it doesn't show where to find the item needed for said relic power.
Overall I think that Archaeology is a complex skill with heaps of information and shoving too much of it onto a single page isn't the best idea.19:51, 12 April 2021 (UTC)
- That's fair maybe I should have proposed more concrete changes, I was debating whether to be concrete or let it shake out in the discussion:
- Excavation hotspot pages should include number needed of each artifact.
- Collection pages should include maps for relevant hotspots.
- Collection pages shouldn't put hotspot in a Source column along with soil and Ancient Casket. It makes it hard to tell at the glance which are the hotspots.
- It takes too many clicks to see what is needed to unlock some powers, in particular Berserkers fury. Concrete proposal: Create a step by step guide on Berserker's fury complete with list of hotspots and maps. Same for similar powers. We may want use templates to put the same info in multiple places.
- Hippsomhapp (talk) 20:08, 12 April 2021 (UTC)
- Perfect, appreciate the list. In terms of my thoughts:
- Support - I'm not sure if this would fit into a body of text easily, but some sort of table might be good for this.
- Oppose - I think this might go too far in terms of clutter for one page.
- Support - This is for granularity sake, but I can definitely see the confusion considering players don't focus on soil/casket for their artefacts.
- Neutral - The number of clicks needed is an issue, but I'm also worried this could clutter the page with lots of repeating information. 11:08, 13 April 2021 (UTC)
- Perfect, appreciate the list. In terms of my thoughts:
Comment - One thing I can agree with is that the lack of linking between hotspot and artefact (not damaged) pages is very annoying. I believe we kept the artefact pages separate because of RS:G but I do think that some of the info needs to be on both. Specifically the collection & uses info should be on the damaged page and the sources info should be on the artefact page. 20:31, 12 April 2021 (UTC)
- Maybe we could use something like this infobox (inspired by potions)
|Venator dagger (Damaged)|
|Release||30 March 2020 (Update)|
|Destroy||You will have to find another through Archaeology.|
|On death||Always kept outside Wild|
|A venator dagger that can be restored.|
|Links||MRID • recipe|
|FAQ • doc|
- I agree that linking between hotspot and restored artefact and/or vice versa would be very handy. One possibility would be something like Familiar pages e.g. Steel titan, where the page includes info on the pouch and scroll as well as the familiar itself. Robert571 (talk) 20:39, 12 April 2021 (UTC)
Partial support - let's run through each of the suggestions presented in this thread:
- Support merging damaged and restored artefact pages. For the average reader it is usually more important to get the complete information on an artefact, including drop sources, restoration requirements and disassembly information on the same page. While granularity is good, in this case I feel ease of use is more important, especially because Archaeology artefacts are often searched for. Note that this does not extend (in my opinion) to other Archaeology-related subjects like relic items.
- Neutral on extending hotspot pages with number of artefacts required. This is already covered (in detail) on Archaeology training. We could modularise the templates used there and also have those on the hotspot pages, but I do not feel like it is an absolute necessity.
- Oppose adding maps to collection pages for the hotspots. All collection pages include lighttables that show which artefacts are required for that collection, and each row in that lighttable has a clickable link to the hotspot(s) where it can be found, which in turn have interactive maps to show their locations. Adding maps to these pages would make them very cluttered, so the extra click down here makes more sense to me.
- Support cleaning up the Source column on collection pages. 99.9% of the time you'll want to know which hotspot the artefact is from, since both soil and ancient caskets are not exactly the main way that people get artefacts due to the randomness of artefacts that you get from those sources.
- Oppose adding complete walkthroughs to relic power pages. The example you give with Berserker's fury already has a walkthrough which is as explicit as it needs to be in my opinion. Making a step-by-step guide would make the page very cluttered and bulky and would duplicate a lot of the information that is already present on the relevant linked collection page.
09:21, 13 April 2021 (UTC)
Closed - thanks for using the Yew Grove to raise issues with how this information is presented on the wiki. There is consensus to implement the following changes:
- Excavation sites to include the number needed of each artefact required (should be modularised to keep consistency with the training guide).
- Only include hotspots in the "source" column on collection pages.
- Better linking between hotspot and artefact pages.
- Merge damaged and restored artefact item pages (with a switch infobox). 12:58, 28 April 2021 (UTC)