Forum:Addressing the player/adventurer/world guardian
(So I'm fairly certain very little people will care about this but I do and I'm insufferable.)
Per policy, articles must be written in third person objective perspective meaning that addressing the player in second-person (ie "you") is not allowed (except in guides) and opts for "the player" or "players" instead.
However in quite a lot of articles, particularly those written from an in-universe perspective (ie lore and history) the usage of "an/the adventurer" and "the World Guardian" is quite common. Player character#History demonstrates inconsistent usage of both "the player" and "the adventurer".
I'm proposing the following options to deal (or not deal) with this:
- Amend the policy to add "adventurer" and "World Guardian" as...
- a. Enforced terms when referencing the player for in-universe sections and thus edit all such references where appropriate
- b. Acceptable terms when referencing the player for in-universe sections only
- Don't change the policy and...
- a. Enforce it so instances of "adventurer" and/or "World Guardian" are changed to "player"
- b. Do nothing, change nothing, its not an issue
Support 1a - Obviously this is what I'm hoping for, I am a lorehound after all. I wouldn't be too upset if 1b was decided upon tho.03:42, 21 November 2018 (UTC)
Support 2a/b, or Use common sense based on the context of the page - Pretty much what Haidro said. And I guess I'm one of the few that does care about this, since it would affect transcripts.
Support 1b, where adventurer/World Guardian is preferred but not required.07:09, 21 November 2018 (UTC)
Support 2b - Not sure we need a policy for this. If it makes sense to use World Guardian on a page then feel free to do it, otherwise do what you want provided it’s still 3rd person. jayden 10:05, 21 November 2018 (UTC)
Support 1b - Primarily due to the divide between quests set before and after the 5th Age start.20:17, 21 November 2018 (UTC)
- Forum:Plural vs. Singular Player references in articles, Forum:1st, 2nd or 3rd person., Forum:Style guide additions. I think that's all of them. - Ryan PM 09:24, 22 November 2018 (UTC)
Closed - adventurer/World Guardian can be considered appropriate third person terms in relevant contexts, such as lores and histories; they not however required/enforceable. I believe the policy you refer to would be RuneScape:Style guide#Point of View, which I have updated to mention these terms. 19:15, 27 November 2018 (UTC)