Forum:.OGG readers, and what to do with Adventurers' Tales
As a wiki, we stride strive to become a good one. We already are, but there is one thing that we could defely use. As used by Wikipedia, having the ability to play .OGGs while a reader is reading an article could make the experience on this site better.
- Having trouble pronouncing something? An .OGG could be played to show the reader how to say it. (I would be willing to do this.)
- If anyone was willing to do such a thing, we could have narrations of articles.
- Plus some other stuff, which escapes my ming mind at the moment.
Someone in #Wikia a while back said that to get an .OGG player, all one would have to do is request a staff member to install it, and it should be pretty much as simple as that.
- The OggHandler extension has been installed in RuneScape Wiki. The extension allows Ogg audio and video files to be played in wiki pages, using the same syntax as for image files.
- To embed an Ogg file, use:
- which gives:
- To upload an Ogg file, just use the Special:Upload. It may seem weird that audio files are stored in the Image namespace. But soon (hopefully in MediaWiki 1.14 update), the Image namespace will be replaced with the File namespace. Wikipedia now has been updated to MediaWiki 1.14, and Wikia would be doing it sooner rather than later. 19:55, 21 December 2008 (UTC)
But on another note, do we need RuneScape:Adventurers' Tales anyone anymore? [[w:c:runescapefanfiction:Main_Page|RSFF]] covers that now. If we deleted it (or whatever a verdict may turn out to be), it wouldn't really do any damage, as the actual content is in the respective users' userpages.
- I should stop trying to type stuff when I'm so tired. :")... Chiafriend12I have 12 friends. 19:18, 4 October 2008 (UTC)
Support Nice idea. But how do you convert media to .ogg?I feel the power.
Support - I like the idea of having .ogg's for articles (definition). And you don't need to worry Chia, I wont let your ideas escape your "ming" (lulz). =) CFLM Talk # Sign 06:04, 4 October 2008 (UTC)
Support - It's a very good idea. Only difficulty is the large amount of articles, and we'd need to recreate oggs every time someone makes an edit. ---- [talk] [highscores] 01:54, 7 November 2008 (UTC)
Support One good thing about this is Firefox 3.1 will have built-in .ogg support. A lot of words from RS are pronounced a lot of different ways,it would be great to know the proper way. - TehKittyCat 17:57, 8 November 2008 (UTC)
comment Rather than changing everything to ogg, which would mean that to keep it up to date you'd need mayby 50 people who are expert at doing it, can pronounce all the words correctly and have little in teh way of an unintelligible accent changing it continually, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week without break. Rather than that, why don't we have a page with all the hard to say/pronounce words on a certain page, which uses .ogg formatt, so that people can learn how to pronounce the words.--Zilenserztalk! Join the RSWP today! 14:28, 14 December 2008 (UTC)
Support I have a microphone by Logitech and I use it to talk on skype all the time. It has exceptional quality for what I paid for. Im willing to pronounce some words.Jmo, 08:07, 27 December 2008 (UTC)
- Support - I've been waiting for the wiki to start using .ogg files. I will be happy to record stuff but not narrate articles or pronounce words. Lol, I can't wait until we have all these American voices narrating articles. It'll be hilarious!!! And a solution to recreating oggs when someone makes an edit: we just post a date and it can be updated another time. So if people see it is old they can just read it themselves. Also, new sound files might have to go through some kind of authorisation process because I can imagine the sound files we'll get from some people.... Cheers, Chicken7 >talk 13:52, 27 December 2008 (UTC)
- Oppose/Support - Look how often articles are updated. Every edit that is made to a page the OGG will have to be rerecorded. If you want entire pages to be read aloud, have a download link somewhere for a program that reads the text that is there, not once was. I think only the hard to pronounce words should have sound. That way we just get OGG files for all the words that are hard to pronounce, and they never have to be changed. --— Enigma 17:42, 1 January 2009 (UTC)
Neutral - Adventurers' Tales are fan-fiction, and I feel that they should belong in RSFF. I would like to suggest that a note is given to the authors to move their content to RSFF, and we put a note on the page to say "We have moved to RuneScape Fan Fiction, please list your stories in RSFF."12:01, 4 October 2008 (UTC)
- We may indeed be seperate, but both are run by the same community. Chiafriend12I have 12 friends. 19:18, 4 October 2008 (UTC)
Support discontinuation - Per myself. Not really deleting it, but maybe removing most of the content and replacing it with 'yadda yadda, this has been discontinued and stuff, please use the RuneScape Fan Fiction Wiki instead'. Chiafriend12I have 12 friends. 19:18, 4 October 2008 (UTC)
Same community? How do you know that? Just because you and a few other RS-Wikians go on, doesn't mean everyone does. What would we do with the old ones? Merge them into the other wiki? We're separate wikis! C Teng talk 16:36, 18 October 2008 (UTC)
- RSFF is part of the RSW community because nine out of ten users there (Heck, we don't even have ten active users XD) edit here also. And I meant "discontinuation" as in 'accepting no new submissions', or something. For the stuff already in the respective userpages, it would stay there, per RS:DEU. Lastly, I know both are separate wikis, but that definitely hasn't stopped our 'crats (two at least, I'm pretty sure) and others from trying to dump articles into another wiki. Go talk to them on that matter ;). Chiafriend12I have 12 friends. 03:23, 22 October 2008 (UTC)
- Support Keeping
RSFF is for solely tales/fan fiction. the RSW is for All things runescape, including runescape tales. However, I think that Tales/stories should be created on the author/editor's page or subpage, otherwise we'd have to make a category for stories, so they didn't get mixed up with fact. Thanks.--Zilenserztalk! Join the RSWP today! 14:23, 14 December 2008 (UTC)
- Support Deleting
I checked the page and the first five "stories" are pretty much only a title, with no actual writing. Therefore, I agree (in a way) with Zilenserz in that users can write stories on their own sub-pages, but the general page should either be removed, or replaced with a message notifying users that the page is no longer active and that they can post stories on their own sub-pages. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Kazel01 (talk).