Forum:"Leaks" and others
Over the past few months, there has been a lot of warring and discussions about what are and what isn't a Leak, the general consensus to determine if it's a Leak comes from edit wars and pretty much what users like/don't like.
I have several proposals on the matter to finally define what is a Leak and add other definitions in order to remove redundancies/loopholes.
Proposal 1: Teasers
What is a teaser? A teaser is an in-game preview of an update Jagex has said is going to happen before or haven't announced it actually happens.
Examples: Kethsi, Strange power, Earthquake, Avalani, Frozen door/GWD earthquake.
"Wait, doesn't this override with Unannounced phenomenons?" Partially yes, we can link a "main article" and write a summary about it.
Proposal 2: Upcoming updates
What is an upcoming update? An upcoming update is an update Jagex is developing and have openly said there are going to release or have shown them, in other words, updates on the way.
Examples: The Ritual of the Mahjarrat, Penguin Quest 3, Nex armour from the Wilderness vote videos, Skybox and Water from the Deadliest Catch video.
Proposal 2.1: Press/Media Images - Subsection in Upcoming updates
Press/Media images are images(duh) released by Jagex to the public to be used in articles, news, etc... These are usually outside of the players knowledge until a player, they depict Jagex's test servers which show things like Bloom, Particle Fire and other Particles, updated Water, updated scenery or items and such things, why aren't these leaks? Well, while they aren't said by Jagex directly to the players, they are released willingly.
"What about the infamous whiteboard leak?" Well, this is tricky, while it was released to the press, it shows an update schedule NOT FROM Behind The Scenes, Jagex never shows these, so this is both, a Leak an a Press/Media image and should be shown in both articles, same goes to the infamous but fake ROTM release date, since it was pretty much a JMod gone rouge.
Proposal 3: Leaks
What is a leak? A leak is an image/picture/video about an update Jagex doesn't want to be seen or was released/shown by accident, how do we know this? Because there is a very high chance this will be removed.
Simply adding these 4 to a category called "Future Updates".
Any questions/suggestions will be discussed here.
Support 1, 2, 2.1, 3 and 4: As nominator20:19, July 19, 2011 (UTC)
- Answer - Obvious joke is obvious? :/
20:32, July 19, 2011 (UTC)
- That doesn't explain how it's a leak
20:48, July 19, 2011 (UTC)
- facepalm* Really? It's a joke it doesn't have to make sence .-. 20:52, July 19, 2011 (UTC)
- That doesn't explain how it's a leak
- Demons > Normal demons > Greater demon, for example, Updates > Futures updates > Leaks. 20:59, July 19, 2011 (UTC)
Question - Okay, cool story. What exactly is it you propose?09:47, July 20, 2011 (UTC)
- To have a set definition of what a Leak, and other stuff are, re-categorize everything and add corresponding pages to each type.
03:57, July 21, 2011 (UTC)
- Okay, then support. However, I oppose the "unannounced phenomena"-thing, as stated in the RfM. 06:58, July 21, 2011 (UTC)
- I think (as I read it again) in a nutshell is that there is a difference between a leak and a teaser. A leak is something Jagex does not intend to show the general public at that time. A teaser is a pic, or something posted by them to show something upcoming. I so think that we should re-classify as such Atlandy 12:20, July 25, 2011 (UTC)
- Yes and since it already exists, there is no need to discuss it. 18:51, August 4, 2011 (UTC)
Support - I definitely think that there needs to be a definition for a leak, because I always see edit wars concerning them. I agree with Atlandy's definition, the updated bankers were a leak because the focus of the picture was the cape, and the bankers' new graphics were in it accidentally. In the same way, the new armor and the objectives tab were leaks because it was not their intention to release them, the focus of the picture was something else and they were in it accidentally..
However, I agree with your examples of upcoming updates and teasers, so I guess I also agree with your definition of them. ɳex undique 16:25, August 11, 2011 (UTC)
- I'm going to deny this for now in the slim chance that someone has something else to say. I (or someone else) will close this in a few days if nothing else materializes. I should mention that we don't really "allocate" time for threads. They run for however long they need to. I remember closing a thread that was active for a year. --LiquidTalk 19:55, August 15, 2011 (UTC)