Most fishing spots in RuneScape are one of five types: Net/Bait, Lure/Bait, Cage/Harpoon, and Net/Harpoon (members-only) and Harpoon/Net (after Swan Song, members-only). Net/Bait spots require a small fishing net to net fish whilst Net/Harpoon spots require a big fishing net to net fish. Harpoon/Net requires a small Fishing net.
The overall locations of fishing spots.
Each spot can catch the following fish:
There are also Barbarian fishing spots near Otto's Grotto where Leaping fish can be caught. Additional types of spots can be found at the Piscatoris Fishing Colony, where different kinds of fish can be caught. There are also 'ominous fishing spot's at Mudskipper Point, but these cannot be fished from. If you click any fishing spot multiple times, a pop-up message will appear, which states "You only need to click once!" This is likely an awareness message sent towards new players of RuneScape.
The spots move to a nearby location after a random time, which according to timing ten movements happens on average every 4 minutes and 12 seconds.
- The fishing spots are treated as NPCs by the game engine, as evident by their text colour.
- When a fishing spot changes location, if clicked on as it changes, the player will run to the new location to start fishing. This is most likely because the fishing spot teleports itself rather than disappearing.
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- ninja 11 May 2015 (Update):
- Some blocking on Shilo Village's jungle plants has been removed to make switching fishing spots easier.
- patch 10 March 2014 (Update):
- Quickly switching from one fishing spot to another no longer stops the player from fishing.
- ninja 27 January 2014 (Update):
- Monkfish fishing spots now have "Net" as the primary option instead of "Harpoon".
- patch 24 April 2013 (Update):
- An unreachable fishing spot in the lake north of Castle Wars has been made reachable again.
- patch 6 October 2010 (Update):
- Resolved an unreachable fishing spot.
- patch 9 November 2009 (Update):
- En'shore'd that a Fishing spot is no longer partly on land.
- patch 18 August 2009 (Update):
- Stopped a fishing spot partially moving onto land nearby.
- patch 20 January 2009 (Update):
- A Fishing spot previously inaccessible is now available once more near Shilo Village.
- The mogre Fishing spot's clickable area has been increased as it was a bit smaller than we'd like.