The fishing rod-o-matic is an enhanced fishing tool researched at level 22 Invention. It can be used to fish in most fishing spots when wielded. In spite of the animation played when using the tool, bait such as feathers or fishing bait are still required for the appropriate fishing spots.
When they are first made, rod-o-matics are stackable in the bank. Upon equipping it for the first time, they become unstackable, but can be converted back into a stackable version if it has no experience or gizmos attached to it by right-clicking.
The rod-o-matic is commonly compared to the augmented crystal fishing rod; the differences between the two are further expanded upon below. The main appeal to the rod-o-matic is the cost; it's possible to obtain the materials for a rod-o-matic for under 200,000 coins, which is much lower than the potential 600,000+ price tag of a crystal rod, not including the cost of potential crystal siphons. This makes the rod-o-matic a cheaper way of training Invention through Fishing, but brings slower Fishing experience as it both does not have the bonus to fishing experience that the crystal rod does, and requires the player to disassemble various items to obtain the components needed to make it.
This item uses charges stored in the universal charge pack. When the charge pack runs out of charges, the item loses stats and gizmo effects, and can also no longer gain any equipment experience. Function will resume when the pack is recharged with divine charges.
|1,430 XP||120 XP||3 (1.8s) ||-|
| Invention level||22|
| Discover: Fishing rod-o-matic|
| Members only|
|Flexible parts||80||235||[r 1]18,800|
|Base parts||60||8,093||[r 2]485,580|
|Dextrous components||6||5,835||[r 3]35,010|
|Swift components||4||21,538||[r 4]86,152|
This is an auto-generated list (update now
), and shows the first 100 items alphabetically. For all items, click here
Comparison of augmented fishing tools[edit | edit source]
- Base charge drain rate of 0.31 charges per second
- Equipment experience gained is 11.8% of the base Fishing experience of the fish caught
- Requires research unlocked at level 22 Invention
- Siphons and disassembles as a tier-70 item for experience
- Two sockets for tool gizmos, which can hold potentially useful perks
- No base Fishing rate buff
- Can be used to catch most types of fish, including the fishing nodes at Croesus
- No quest/other requirements for any materials
- Making the Fishing rod-o-matic requires a Fishing rod, costing 1,182 coins on the Grand Exchange or 5 coins at fishing shops
- Various components are needed to make the Fishing rod-o-matic, which may be fairly expensive
|Augmented crystal fishing rod
- Requires level 90 Strength, Ranged, Agility, and level 93 Fishing.
- An unaugmented crystal rod requires Plague's End and the ability to craft it must be unlocked for 3,000 crystal urchin points from the Prifddinas Waterfall Fishing Shop
- 5% more likely to catch fish
- Can only catch fish which can be caught with a fishing rod, fly fishing rod, or heavy rod with the exception of net fishing at Swarm. It does not function at Croesus.
- Making a crystal rod requires a crystal tool seed, costing 183,191 coins
- A crystal rod requires either 150 Harmonic dust or 102,000 coins to 510,000 coins to create - the minimum price is reached after 5 enchantments
- Various components are needed to make an augmentor, which may be fairly expensive; alternatively, an augmentor may be purchased on the Grand Exchange for 440,504 coins
- Total cost is 725,695 coins at minimum price for crystal rod. Less coins spent if various components already obtained.
- An Equipment siphon siphons experience at a tier 70 equipment rate. It can be made or may be purchased on the Grand Exchange for 93,029 coins
- The Crystal tool siphon siphons experience at a tier 90 equipment rate providing up to 162,000 more experience, at an increased cost of the siphon
- Various components are needed to make a crystal tool siphon, which may be fairly expensive; alternatively, it may be purchased on the Grand Exchange for 1,146,298 coins
The fishing rod-o-matic can be levelled up by using it. The equipment experience required for each level and the effect of disassembly is as follows:
|Table of experience and effect
|Extra Invention experience (tier 70)
||Disassembling this item has a 50% chance to return installed gizmos.
||Disassembling this item gives double materials.
||Disassembling this item never gives junk.
||This item drains 10% less charge when used.
||Disassembling this item gives triple materials.
||Disassembling this item gives an extra random uncommon material.
||Disassembling this item returns all installed gizmos.
||Disassembling this item gives quadruple materials.
||Disassembling this item gives the maximum extra Invention XP.
||Siphoning this item gives the maximum extra Invention XP.[note 1]
||Siphoning this item has a 50% chance to not consume the siphon.
||This item drains 12.5% less charge when used.
||This item can now be used with an Equipment separator.
||Siphoning this item no longer consumes the siphon.
||Using the Equipment separator on this item has a 25% chance to not consume the separator.
||This item drains 15% less charge when used.
||Using the Equipment separator on this item has a 50% chance to not consume the separator.
||Helpful perks will activate 10% (multiplicative) more frequently. See Perk benefits for a list of perks that are known to be affected.
- ^ Although siphoning an item at level 12 gives the most extra Invention XP, siphoning an item at level 9 gives the greatest Invention XP/Item XP, or Invention XP/hour.
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- ninja 18 July 2022 (Update):
- Bladed Dive can now be used with the following items, when wielded with laceration boots or an appropriate off-hand item:
- Augmented tools: crystal hammer, crystal hatchet, crystal pickaxe, crystal tinderbox, dragon hatchet, dragon pickaxe, Imcando pickaxe and inferno adze.
- Crystal tools: chime, chisel, hammer, hatchet, knife, pickaxe, saw and tinderbox.
- Hammer-tron, Pyro-matic and the uncharged fishing rod-o-matic.
- Enhanced tools: fishing rod-o-matic, hammer-tron and pyro-matic.
- Sculpting chisels: Bandos, Guthix, Saradomin, Seren and Zamorak.
- Catalyst fragments (combined, farmer's, hunter's and runecrafter's) from Sliske's Endgame now count as an off-hand item for Bladed Dive, similar to other skilling off-hands.
- patch 14 October 2019 (Update):
- Players no longer erroneously receive a message about having no charges on a fishing rod-o-matic.
- patch 26 March 2018 (Update):
- The swarm of fish will now grant invention experience on the augmented crystal fishing rod, rather than just the on the rod-o-matic.
- patch 12 March 2018 (Update):
- The rod-o-matic spot animations no longer play while fishing for Sailfish. This makes the Swift sailfish spot distinguishable.
- ninja 3 October 2016 (Update):
- Using a tool gizmo on an unused rod-o-matic now converts it to the used version and immediately adds the perks.
- patch 4 July 2016 (Update):
- Walk animation overrides will now correctly display with a sheathed rod-o-matic.
- patch 20 June 2016 (Update):
- Unused Fishing rod-o-matics can now correctly be destroyed.
- ninja 13 June 2016 (Update):
- Newly-created Fishing rod-o-matics now stack in the bank. Existing rod-o-matics that have no gizmos or item XP can be converted into this new stacking variant with a right-click option.