Deep Sea Fishing
Deep Sea Fishing is a Fishing activity that is accessed by talking to Goomah in the Fishing Guild. It is available to players from level 68 fishing (the same requirement to enter the Fishing Guild) and involves fishing in the Deep Sea Fishing hub.
- 1 Minnow
- 2 Magical fishing spots
- 3 Swarm fishing
- 4 Jellyfish
- 5 Fishing frenzy
- 6 Sailfish
- 7 Random events
- 8 Extras
- 9 Update history
- 10 Trivia
Minnow[edit | edit source]
Minnow fishing can be done at the south-east portion of the platform with level 68 fishing. Magnetic minnow can be caught 1-3 at a time and are stackable. They can be turned into manta ray, sea turtle, or great white shark bait if the player guts 300 magnetic minnows. They can't be cooked, but the player can eat them for 100 life points each. This activity is low intensity as the minnow shoals will move every few minutes, but they give less experience than other fishing methods. The rowboat north along the platform from the minnow shoals can be used as a bank. Fishing them gives between 45,000 experience an hour, at level 70 Fishing, and 87,000 experience an hour, at level 99 Fishing.
Magical fishing spots[edit | edit source]
All over the platform, and useable at Level 79 Fishing), magical fishing spots can be found containing manta rays, sea turtles and great white sharks. These are only usable if manta ray, sea turtle, or great white shark bait from the minnows has been obtained beforehand. The spot will then allow the gathering of 50 fish, at which point the player will have to use another bait. Fish from the random event boosts, the Fury shark outfit's set bonus, or the Fishing cape perk do not count towards the 50 fish limit.
Swarm fishing[edit | edit source]
The south-west portion of the platform hosts a giant swarm net, which can be used at Level 68 Fishing. Fishing at the swarm can yield a range of fish from mackerel all the way to sailfish even if the player couldn't normally catch the fish.
Jellyfish[edit | edit source]
Two types of jellyfish can be found on the northern portion of the platform: green blubber jellyfish (Level 68 Fishing) and blue blubber jellyfish (Level 91 Fishing). They can be cooked into their cooked equivalent and be eaten without losing adrenaline. At level 99 Fishing, fishing green blubber jellyfish gives around 61,000 experience an hour and fishing blue blubber jellyfish gives around 100,000 experience an hour.
The jellyfish may occasionally electrify themselves. Fishing at an electrifying spot causes a debuff stack to accumulate with each catch. This can be gradually cleared by fishing at a non-electrifying spot, which reduces the debuff by 2 stacks for each catch. If it reaches 10 stacks, continuing to fish at an electrifying spot will cause the player to be stunned for 10 seconds (this can be cleared with Freedom). If the player is stunned by an electrifying jellyfish, the debuff will transform into a 2.5 minute cooldown, which will refresh itself if the player is stunned again during that time. The cooldown prevents the player from fishing electrifying jellyfish spots. The player can continue to catch non-electrifying jellyfish, but they will have no effect on the debuff during this time. The debuff vanishes completely after the cooldown ends. A bank boat is near this platform, so players can bank their items.
Fishing frenzy[edit | edit source]
Towards the north-west portion of the platform, fishing frenzy spots can be found where the player must continually fling fish from the constantly changing fishing spots, requiring Level 94 Fishing. This method does not gain any fish, but it will give plenty of experience. It is possible to achieve the highest fishing experience per hour in game using this method. Continuously fishing gives a "streak" bonus of +1% xp boost for every 10 catches (up to 20% xp boost with a soft cap of 200 streak). The streak will be halved if the player is inactive for 6 seconds, but it will not decrease further until another fish is flung and inactivity is reached again. Success rate depends on the player's Fishing level (up to a maximum of 100% success rate at level 99).
At level 99 Fishing, fishing frenzy gives around 285,000 base experience an hour. At level 99 fishing, one can also gain at least 26,300 item experience an hour for their Fishing rod-o-matic, augmented crystal fishing rod, or augmented tavia's fishing rod.
Gaining a streak of 200 will grant the Frenzied achievement.
Sailfish[edit | edit source]
Sailfish can be found on the north-eastern portion of the platform, requiring Level 97 Fishing to catch. There are three types of sailfish spots that can appear: one swift, two regular, and one rare calm spots. Swift spots give more xp and have a higher catch rate, but they disappear quicker, while regular spots will last longer but have a lower catch rate. There is also a rare chance that players may encounter a calm sailfish spot, and these calm spots last longer than normal sailfish spots. Sailfish can be cooked into their cooked equivalent. Cooked sailfish can also be made into sailfish soups with spices in player-owned ports (which requires the player to have completed the full Eastern Soups Recipe Scroll). A magical net west along the platform from the sailfish spots acts as a deposit box. Fishing sailfish gives around 90,000 experience an hour at level 99 Fishing.
Random events[edit | edit source]
This hub has random events and interactions that take place in the centre of the area. These increase experience rates, as well as give temporary boosts to fishing. When a random event appears there will be a public chat announcement, the skybox will change to a nighttime setting, and the D&D icon will appear in the centre of the area.
Whirlpool[edit | edit source]
A giant whirlpool appears in the middle of the platform, and players may donate money to receive the titles previously only available from the Well of Goodwill. This money does not go to charity. It is simply removed from the game. The whirlpool is also harvestable for random fish.
If more than 10,000,000 is donated, a random deep sea fishing boost lasting 10 minutes is given to players when the event ends, or for 30 minutes if the player was on the world when the event started. If the pool has a golden glow, this is an indication that enough money has been donated.
The achievement Make A Wish is completed when throwing money into the whirlpool.
|[Name] the Wishful||1+|
|[Name] the Generous||10,000,000|
|[Name] the Millionaire||100,000,000|
|[Name] the Charitable||1,000,000,000|
|[Name] the Billionaire||5,000,000,000|
Travelling merchant[edit | edit source]
A travelling merchant can occasionally appear at the centre of the hub hosting their shop, permanently offering an improved uncharted island map for 800,000 coins, as well as a selection of three other items that rotate daily. The merchant stocks useful items such as crystal triskelions, barrels of bait, deathtouched darts, and Motherlode Maw currency items among others. Once purchased, items will be marked as sold and cannot be purchased again on the same day. The merchant's stock changes at daily reset, 00:00 game time.
Purchasing any item from the merchant will complete the achievement, Up for sail.
Arkaneo[edit | edit source]
The legendary sailfish Arkaneo arrives in the middle of the platform and lasts ~50 seconds. She swims around in circles rapidly before departing. The player cannot interact with her. After she leaves, the player is granted all three of the deep sea fishing boosts for 15 minutes if the player was on the same world when she arrived, or 5 minutes if the player hopped worlds.
Deep-sea encounters[edit | edit source]
If unsuccessful, hop to another world with more players, such as the official world 116.
- Sea Monster - Rapidly feed the Sea Monster using crates of rotten fish found in nearby fish barrels, or raw fish from your inventory. Successfully completing this event will grant a 10% chance to gain an additional catch. This buff lasts 10 minutes if the player world hopped, or 30 minutes if the player was on the same world when the event started.
- Jellyfish Invasion - Kick several small jellyfish off the docks scattered in the hub. The player cannot interact with the giant jellyfish in the water in the middle of the hub. Successfully completing this event grants a 5% fishing experience boost for 10 minutes if the player world hopped, or 30 minutes if the player was on the world when the event started.
- Whale - Rescue a fisherman swallowed by the Whale by fishing out minnows from it. Successfully completing this event will grant a 10% fishing catch rate boost. The boost lasts for 10 minutes if the player world hopped, or 30 minutes if the player was on the world when the event started.
- At the end of the event, a fisherman is spat out from the Whale and teleports up at the same time as the Whale dives; Examine: I bet he had a whale of a time.
Extras[edit | edit source]
Achievements[edit | edit source]
There are 7 Fishing achievements related to the Deep Sea Fishing hub:
- Boosted animal ( 20) – Have all deep sea boosts active at the same time
- Fancy turtle-back ( 5) – Interact with the deep sea treasure turtle.
- Frenzied ( 20) – Obtain the highest boost available in the 'Fishing Frenzy' activity
- Make A Wish ( 5) – Throw coins into the deep sea whirlpool.
- My precious! ( 10) – Find and return Gregg 'Groggy' Herring's lost ring
- Ruler of the Sea ( 20) – Successfully complete all deep sea encounters
- Up for sail ( 5) – Purchase an item from the deep sea travelling merchant
Gregg's ring[edit | edit source]
While fishing, Gregg 'groggy' herring's ring can be found and returned to Gregg. He can be found in the crow's nest at the top of the tall mast on the Deep Sea Fishing hub (two-storey building with nets). He is above the Fish Flingers' Fisherman on the upper level. This will complete the achievement My precious!. Note that you must shout to him from the lower level by clicking on 'Bang ladder' just to the south, as there is no option to climb the ladder.
Boosts[edit | edit source]
Three different boosts can be acquired while fishing on the hub. These are:
- Barrel of bait, granting a 10% chance to gain an extra catch for 3 minutes.
- Broken fishing rod, granting a 10% bonus catch rate for 3 minutes.
- Tangled fishbowl, granting 5% extra fishing experience for 3 minutes.
- Message in a bottle (Deep Sea Fishing), gives the option to choose one of the above boosts for 6 minutes.
These boosts have to be activated by using the corresponding item. They can also be randomly activated together by Tavia's fishing rod or its augmented version. Activating all three Deep Sea Fishing boosts at the same time is a requirement for the Boosted animal achievement. Having the bonus from whale event active then activating tangled fishbowl and barrel of bait will also complete the achievement.
Seagull[edit | edit source]
Players can shoo away a seagull to gain Fishing experience.
Minnowman[edit | edit source]
A Minnowman appears near the minnow shoals asking for minnows. The player can contribute magnetic minnow to the Minnowman to receive Fishing experience once the Minnowman leaves the area (caps at 1,940 experience at level 99 Fishing).
Seasinger[edit | edit source]
A siren will sing the names of players, and if responded to, the player will gain a small amount of Fishing experience.
Captain Deathbeard[edit | edit source]
Captain Deathbeard will pass by in a rowboat, asking for directions. If responded to, the player will gain a small amount of fishing experience once he leaves the area.
Fisherman[edit | edit source]
A fisherman will fall in the water and the player can check on them if they are doing okay. If the fisherman responds to the player, they will gain a small amount of fishing experience once the fisherman gets back on the dock.
Treasure turtle[edit | edit source]
The treasure turtle will give you a free clue scroll reward if you're on the same world as it spawns. Otherwise, it will only unlock the achievement.
Pelican[edit | edit source]
Players can feed a pelican a fish to gain Fishing experience.
Fishing notes[edit | edit source]
Players may receive fishing notes randomly while fishing. These can be read for Fishing experience.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 9 March 2020 (Update):
- A "Deposit All Raw Fish" option has been added to the magical nets at the Deep Sea Fishing hub.
- This option will deposit any raw fish in your inventory but won't deposit anything else, such as urns or Deep Sea Fishing hub boosts. This doesn't include magnetic minnows, however, as they can still be turned into bait.
- A "Deposit All Raw Fish" option has been added to the magical nets at the Deep Sea Fishing hub.
- patch 18 November 2019 (Update):
- Added sound effect to the deep sea fishing notes when redeeming XP.
- patch 3 April 2018 (Update):
- Polycolours have been added to the Whale and hanging Sailfish at the Deep Sea Fishing hub.
- patch 26 March 2018 (Update):
- Players will no longer be able to attract fish to magical fishing spot if they don't have high enough fishing level.
- The broadcast when receiving a rare item from the treasure turtle will include the source in the broadcast message.
- The duration on the calm sailfish spot has been increased.
- The Sea monster encounter is now easier to complete.
- The Whale encounter has been made slightly more difficult.
- The Jellyfish encounter is now slightly easier to complete.
- All encounters are now easier to complete on less populated worlds.
- Your fishing streak when frenzy fishing will now be halved rather than lost entirely when failing to maintain the streak.
- The swarm of fish will now grant invention experience on the augmented crystal fishing rod, rather than just the on the rod-o-matic.
- The locations for each of the fishing activities have now been labelled on the world map.
- patch 12 March 2018 (Update):
- The Sea-monsters message has been updated to avoid confusion when using a raw fish in which he isn't interested.
- Prawnballs are now obtainable through all Fishing activities at the Deep Sea Fishing hub.
- Raw great white sharks can now be used to feed the Sea Monster in the Deep Sea Fishing encounter.
- The Deathbeard distraction at the Deep Sea Fishing hub now consistently gives XP.
- The cooldown timer when fishing for Electrified Jellyfish can no longer be reset.
- Sign of the porters now works with the Deep Sea Fishing spots.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Dwarf multicannons and portable skilling stations cannot be placed on the platform, although a portable deposit box can.
- During the whale deep-sea encounter, Misty states "Captain, there be whales here!" This could be a reference to Scotty's line in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. He states it when the humpback whales, George and Gracie, are beamed aboard the ship to be taken back to the 23rd Century.
- Moored boat's examine text is a tribute to the late English actor Roger Moore.
|Fish and bait|