A fire spirit is a common phenomenon that can appear while Firemaking at a bonfire or portable brazier. They are unique to the player; only the player receiving the fire spirit event will be able to see it. It is possible for multiple fire spirits to be active for the player. Fire spirits appear more frequently when a crystal tinderbox is equipped. The crystal tinderbox also provides a 10% chance for three fire spirits to appear at once.
When a spirit appears, the player can click on it to collect it as an item. From there, it can be clicked on to collect rewards. However, the spirits will only last for a minute before disappearing, so players must pay attention in order to spot them. Gnomish firelighters can be struck to collect fire spirits automatically. Alternatively a spirit attraction potion will collect the spirit when it spawns.
A crystal tinderbox gives quintuple the chance of spawning a fire spirit while training Firemaking on bonfires while it's equipped in the weapon slot. The All Fired Up set, consisting of the flame gloves and ring of fire, has the same effect as the crystal tinderbox and can sometimes prevent the crystal tinderbox from degrading.
If the Fairy Fire perk from Memorial to Guthix is enabled, a divine fire spirit will spawn instead.
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 19 August 2019 (Update):
- Fire spirit/divine fire spirit emerging message now appears correctly when in filtered game messages.
- patch 12 August 2019 (Update):
- Fixed an issue where fire spirits found when burning driftwood, would state their host log was Willow.
- ninja 23 April 2019 (Update):
- Collecting fire and divine fire spirits no longer moves the player or interrupts the continuous action of throwing logs onto bonfires.
- patch 1 April 2019 (Update):
- An issue causing the host log from a Fire Spirit derived from using Maple logs on a bonfire to read as Acadia logs in the item tooltip has been resolved.
- patch 25 March 2019 (Update):
- A sound is now played to the player when a fire spirit spawns.
- When catching a fire spirit you are now granted bonus XP for the next 1 - 5 logs you're burning on a bonfire.
- A timerbar has now been added to a Fire Spirit allowing you to see when it'll vanish.
- The five firelighters (blue, green, red, purple & white) now have a 'Strike' option, when clicked a 5 minute buff is added to the player which will automatically consume any fire spirits that spawn (this can stack up to 60 minutes).
- You now have a very rare chance of getting a clue scroll from claiming a Fire Spirit's reward.
- The fired up ring and gloves now have a chance to stop your Crystal Tinderbox degrading when you get a fire spirit.
- Any fire spirits gathered will now become an item in your inventory, allowing you to save up an entire inventory and click on one to open them all at once (should the Firelighter buff be active when gathering a fire spirit this will add a 1.3x boost on the fire spirit drop table).
- patch 28 August 2018 (Update):
- Fire spirits that spawn whilst using protean logs will now grant rewards based on your firemaking level.
- patch 22 May 2012 (Update):
- A new rewards table has been created for free players from fire spirits.
- On the day of release of bonfires, a bug allowed free-to-play players to receive members-only items, such as charms, as rewards from the spirit. This was fixed a few hours after release.
- On the day of release of bonfires, a bug caused players to only get one type of reward. This was fixed a few hours after release.