|Release date||4 December 2012 (Update)|
|Infobox • Talk page|
The Fight Cauldron is located South-East of the Main Plaza in the TzHaar city. It is the fourth TzHaar minigame to be released, after the Fight Pit, Cave, and Kiln respectively, and can only be accessed after completion of The Brink of Extinction. Summoning familiars may not be brought into the Fight Cauldron. Within the Fight Cauldron, players battle endless waves of TokHaar monsters to receive combat experience, obsidian shards used to smith the level 60, hybrid obsidian armour, and other miscellaneous drops.
Overview[edit | edit source]
The Fight Cauldron takes place in a medium-sized square-shaped arena that is entered from a hot vent door to the west. Players may leave the minigame at any time by exiting the vent door, or by allowing themselves to be killed; as the Fight Cauldron is a safe minigame, players who die will respawn at the Fight Cauldron bank in the TzHaar City with their items intact and fully restored stats. However, potion boosts will wear off, overload timers will be depleted, and you will lose half of the shards that you earned while in the arena.
The Fight Cauldron will spawn waves of TokHaar monsters, one after the other. These monsters are stronger versions of those found in the Fight Kiln, though not all of the Kiln's monsters appear in the Cauldron. The monsters that can appear are:
|Name||Combat level||Combat style(s)||Weakness||Shards|
Hot floor[edit | edit source]
The arena's floor is divided into a 3x3 grid of squares. At regular intervals, some of these squares will begin to glow with heat; after a few seconds, players standing on a glowing square will take damage equal to 20% of their maximum life points every game tick. The square will cool off after about 10–15 seconds and will be safe to stand on; however, the same square of floor can heat up twice in a row. The middle northern square is always hot because of the sacred lava constantly pouring down onto it. It is not possible for all nine squares to simultaneously glow with heat; at most, the eight surrounding squares will glow while the ninth square in the middle will remain safe. It is necessary that players keep an eye on the floor at all times to avoid taking massive damage.
Possible waves[edit | edit source]
- 1x TokHaar-Hur
- 2x TokHaar-Hur
- 3x TokHaar-Hur
- 4x TokHaar-Hur
- 1x TokHaar-Tok-Xil
- 2x TokHaar-Tok-Xil
- 1x TokHaar-Mej
- 2x TokHaar-Mej
- 1x TokHaar-Xil
- 2x TokHaar-Xil
- 1x TokHaar-Ket-Zek
- 1x TokHaar-Yt-MejKot
- 1x TokHaar-Ket
- 2x TokHaar-Ket
- 1x TokHaar-Ket Champion
- 2x TokHaar-Ket Champion
- 3x TokHaar-Ket Champion
- 1x TokHaar-Xil, 1x TokHaar-Mej
- 1x TokHaar-Hur, 1x TokHaar-Xil, 1x TokHaar-Mej
- 1x TokHaar-Ket, 1x TokHaar-Xil, 1x TokHaar-Mej
- 1x TokHaar-Ket Champion, 1x TokHaar-Xil, 1x TokHaar-Mej
- 1x TokHaar-Hok
Strategies[edit | edit source]
Rewards[edit | edit source]
Unlike the Fight Cave, Fight Kiln, and TzekHaar Front, the Fight Cauldron does not have an end, a final boss to fight, or a reward for completing it. The reward is a number of obsidian shards based on how many and what type of opponents players defeat. Players are simply assailed by wave after wave of TokHaar until they die or leave. However, if players die, the number of shards rewarded is cut in half, so it is better to leave.
Obsidian shards are rewarded after the end of the game. Stronger monsters are generally worth more shards. 12 obsidian shards may be smelted at a furnace into an obsidian bar, which may be used by players with high Smithing levels to create obsidian armour, powerful multi-class armour that is exceptionally effective against TzHaar and TokHaar monsters. Each armour piece provides a damage reduction against their attacks, for a total of 45% (or 55% including the kiteshield) for the full set; additionally, each helm (warrior, ranger, and mage) increases the accuracy of its class's attacks by 10%. The shards can also be used to repair the armour. The armour does not degrade when used outside of the TzHaar City and its minigames; however, it also does not provide the damage reduction or accuracy boost.
Aside from obsidian armour, double combat experience is awarded for defeating the TokHaar monsters. As the Fight Cauldron is a safe minigame, it is a risk-free, competition-free method for training combat skills.
Near the hot vent door that leads into the Cauldron's arena is a coffer, into which players may donate TokKul for a temporary increase to the damage reduction of obsidian armour when fighting TzHaar or TokHaar. 15,000 TokKul buys a 10% increase in damage reduction, bringing the total for a full set to 55% (or 65% including the kiteshield). This boost lasts 20 minutes. Paying 45,000 Tokkul allows the 10% extra damage reduction to last the maximum duration of an hour.
The TokHaar monsters can also drop various items, including noted uncut gems up to Dragonstone, Soft clay, Onyx bolt tips and extremely rarely, an Uncut onyx. If you are challenged by TokHaar-Hok and manage to defeat him, you will be rewarded with an Antique lamp worth 20k experience in either Attack, Strength, Defence, Constitution, Magic, Ranged, Summoning, Slayer, Herblore, or Prayer, with the lamp having a level 80 requirement to use on any of the skills.
Achievement[edit | edit source]
- TokHaar-Mok ( 25) – Defeat TokHaar-Hok in the Fight Cauldron minigame using only obsidian equipment.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- ninja 27 May 2014 (Update):
- The TzHaar bank area within the Fight Cauldron now gives the benefits of other banks when walked into.
- patch 15 October 2013 (Update):
- An issue with the Fight Cauldron that caused permanent screen shaking has been resolved.
- patch 22 July 2013 (Update):
- Lava grilles in the Fight Cauldron now take longer to heat up and burn for a shorter duration.
- Obsidian armour absorbs damage from Fight Cauldron lava again.
- patch 18 March 2013 (Update):
- The TokHaar-Tok-Xil, TokHaar-Yt-MejKot and TokHaar-Ket-Zek now award x3 XP when killed.
- All other TokHaar now award x2 XP when killed.
- There is no longer a chance of two TokHaar-Yt'MejKot or two TokHaar-Ket-Zek spawning.
- There is now a chance that TokHaar-Hok will spawn and challenge the player to a one-on-one rematch. The player can choose to decline the duel, or defeat TokHaar-Hok for a 20k lamp in a choice of combat skill, including Summoning, Herblore, Slayer and Prayer.
- Players no longer need to collect dropped obsidian shards during the fight. A number of obsidian shards are now awarded upon leaving the Fight Cauldron. This quantity is halved if the player dies in the Fight Cauldron.
- The number of obsidian shards awarded by the TokHaar-Yt'MejKot and TokHaar-Ket-Zek has been increased, to better suit their difficulty.
- NPCs now have a chance to drop a variety of items, including onyx bolt tips, TzHaar weapons, gems up to dragonstone and ore up to runite, and an extremely rare chance of dropping an uncut onyx.
- Drops will not despawn until the player leaves the instance, giving plenty of opportunity to collect them.
- A TzHaar-Ket banker has been added just outside the barrier into the Fight Cauldron arena, for convenient banking. He will also provide any obsidian shards the player has earned if there wasn't room to receive them.
- The set of mobs the player was fighting will now be remembered if the player leaves the arena before defeating the wave, to discourage re-entering or dying to make a certain configuration spawn.
- patch 13 May 2013 (Update):
- The types of TokHaar fought on the lava grille sections before TokHaar-Hok have been changed so that only one type (melee, ranged or magic) will spawn at once.
- Enemies fought during the quest and in the Fight Cauldron no longer regen health out of combat.
- TokHaar-Hok has been rebalanced with the most recent combat changes in mind. He now deals 25% less damage, drains prayer points 25% slower, has a lower block chance and his hitpoints have increased to 50,000.
- The rematch during the Fight Cauldron with TokHaar-Hok is now the old quest version of TokHaar-Hok. This includes summoning of additional TokHaar.
- TokHaar-Hok will now only challenge you to a rematch once every 30 minutes in the Fight Cauldron.
- TokHaar killed in the Fight Cauldron award you again with 2x-3x normal XP.
- Obsidian armour's damage reduction has been increased to restore its effectiveness in TzHaar minigames. (The damage reduction is still only applied in the TzHaar City and connected areas.)
- Obsidian armour damage reduction is now effective against any damage taken while inside the TzHaar volcano, not just NPC attacks.
- Obsidian armour damage reduction is now displayed on object tooltips.
- The chance for obsidian armour to degrade has been changed. It no longer degrades outside of TzHaar areas, has a 50% chance to degrade inside, and that chance is reduced to 20% when under the effect of a TokKul donation coffer buff.
- The cost of the obsidian armour buff in the Fight Cauldron has been halved, to 15,000 TokKul.