Festival of the Dead
|Festival of the Dead|
|Release date||2 October 2012 (Update)|
|End date||28 November 2012 (Update)|
|Reward||Skull mask, bonus prayer experience|
|Head developer||Mod Hunter|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Festival of the Dead was a temporary member's only Holiday event released on 2 October 2012 (not to be confused with the 2012 Hallowe'en event). The event was centred around celebrating the lives of deceased NPCs, and bringing them back to life for the celebration. It was only available for members.
During this event you may choose to celebrate the lives of up to 5 different deceased NPCs from the game.
Participating in this event earned your character a Skull mask and up to a total of 251,000 bonus Prayer experience (depending on how many of the tasks are completed). The bonus experience was not granted immediately as it would by experience lamps (where experience is immediately awarded); for this holiday event's bonus Prayer experience, it was granted similar to the form of double experience weekend, in that only as you earned experience in Prayer, then you would get double Prayer experience (up to the maximum bonus Prayer experience you had earned in the holiday event), with the following restrictions:
|100% bonus Prayer experience|
|Did work with:||Did not work with:|
|POH Altar bonus||Ectofuntus|
|Killing Ghasts||Bonus Xp Weekend|
|Burying bones (incl. Bonecrusher)||Prized Pendant of Prayer or Pendant of Prayer (the multiplier does work when burying bones or scattering ashes using them)|
|Scattering Ashes||Teleporting Prayer urns|
|Cremating Shades and/or Vyrewatch||Calculated bulk experience rewards (Experience lamps, Experience books, Penguin points, Fealty reward of the Clan cloak, etc.)|
Players could participate in this event by speaking to Father Joakim, who was located next to a large coffin in two locations: south of the Lumbridge Cemetery and behind the church south-east of Burthorpe. There is no difference in gameplay between the two locations.
This event was made up of five celebrations, each requiring a higher prayer level and the completion of more quests than the last.
Tasks[edit | edit source]
If you choose to complete multiple tasks, you may do them in any order desired. However, you may only have one task active at a time, and while that task is active, the items for other tasks will not be available (although you may make all the Clay skulls at once and have them in your inventory). Tasks already completed are marked with a green checkmark. You may also repeat tasks, but no additional experience awards are earned. If you attempt to be assigned a task which you have already completed, Father Joakim will give you the opportunity to either proceed or cancel the duplicate task.
There are four steps for each task:
- Speak to Father Joakim, who will assign an item relating to the dead person whose life is being celebrated. You must go to the location of the item and return with it.
- You must retrieve a set of decorative "Flowers of the dead" from the crate next to the coffin.
- You must create 3 Clay skulls from soft clay (if asked, Father Joakim will give you the first 3 soft clay, but you must supply any further for additional tasks). Creating skulls gives 10 Crafting experience.
- Click on the coffin or speak to Father Joakim with the above items in your inventory, and a dialogue and cutscene will follow, eventually awarding you with the bonus Prayer XP. Dialogue choices given do not make a difference in the final outcome of the cutscene(s).
Note: The individual items for each NPC can not be obtained prior to starting each tribute; they must be gathered individually upon starting each event.
|Name||Requirements||Items needed||Location||Bonus XP reward|
|Void Knights||Void knight seal||Pest Control Island.||5,000|
|Drunken Dwarf||Beer and kebab||Troll Stronghold.||20,000|
|Fight Pit warriors||
||Firecapezorz's cape||Fight Pits. Teleporting to the Fight Pits via the TokKul-Zo takes you directly to it.||50,000|
In addition to the bonus Prayer experience, players also receive a Skull mask after the completion of any one of these tasks, assuming they do not already own one. If destroyed, it may be retrieved from Diango in Draynor Village. It can also be stored in a Toy box in a player-owned house. Clay skulls or additional flowers of the dead, while obtainable from the crate at any time during the event, may not be banked, stored, or traded.
Ceremonies[edit | edit source]
Zamorakian Cultists[edit | edit source]
Void Knights[edit | edit source]
Drunken Dwarf[edit | edit source]
Fight Pit warriors[edit | edit source]
The second Woman and Man do not dance.
Duradel[edit | edit source]
Attending Duradel's ceremony are:
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The teaser picture shows the event in Burthorpe, east of the Altar of Guthix.
- The Player spoof Cow1337killr that appears during the Fight Pit Warriors cutscene is previously seen in the quest Animal Magnetism.
- The event coincides with the real-world Festival of the Dead.
- If you killed Caitlin and Kayle in the quest The Blood Pact, they do not appear when you celebrate the death of Reese. Instead, you get dialogue choosing whether you are glad you killed them, or if you regret killing them.
- In an unannounced update, the Festival of the Dead area and Father Joakim were removed from their other location in Burthorpe (near the church in South-East Burthorpe). He still resides near Lumbridge Cemetery towards the Lumbridge Swamp.