|Family Crest (#24)|
|Release date||9 April 2002 (Update)|
|Main developer(s)||Paul Gower|
|Quality assurance||Unknown edit|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Family Crest is a quest during which the player retrieves the Fitzharmon family crest pieces from the three brothers to return it to their father.
Official description[edit | edit source]
The Fitzharmon family crest has gone missing, and the family honour has been lost.
Can you find the crest and return it to Dimintheis in Varrock?
There are three different rewards available, but you can only choose one; so choose carefully!
Overview[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Dimintheis in south-east Varrock, next to the Fancy Dress Shop.|
|Member requirement||Members only|
|Requirements||Skill requirements are not boostable unless marked with a [B] for boostable.
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.
|Enemies to defeat||
The crest[edit | edit source]
To start, speak with Dimintheis, whose house is in the fenced-off area in the south-eastern section of Varrock. He'll tell you that he belongs to the noble family of Fitzharmon, but without his family's crest, he can't prove his heritage and take back his estate from the King.
His sons took the crest when they left to defend Varrock against the hordes of zombies sent forth by an evil necromancer, and he doesn't know what happened to them afterwards. He has, however, heard rumours that his eldest son, Caleb, is now an aspiring fish chef and is currently staying with a friend just outside the western gates of Varrock.
Caleb[edit | edit source]
Caleb can be found by Gertrude's house, located just outside the western entrance of Varrock. Talk to him, and he'll say that he and his brothers broke the crest into three parts to avoid any one of them inheriting their father's wealth. In their shame, they took a piece of the crest each and set out their own ways, unable to face their father.
Since a broken crest is of no use to anyone, he agrees to exchange it for some fish that he needs for a special and unique salad he is currently making. What you need is a shrimp, salmon, tuna, bass, and swordfish — all cooked. If you need to catch the fish yourself, head west towards Gunnarsgrunn to fish the salmon (use "Lure", feathers required) and then teleport to Catherby where you can fish for the tuna and swordfish (use "harpoon" in cage/harpoon spots), shrimp (use "net" in net/bait spots) and the bass (use "net" in net/harpoon spots; this may take a minute as you would frequently haul other items). If you are fishing and cooking your own fish, you will need up to level 50 Fishing and 45 Cooking for the swordfish. There is a range in Gertrude's house.
Once you have all of it, give the cooked fish to Caleb and he'll give you the crest part as promised, along with a little bit of info: the gem trader in Al Kharid might know more about the location of one of his brothers, Avan.
Make sure that you ask Caleb about his brothers' whereabouts, otherwise the gem trader's dialogue options will not include Avan.
Avan[edit | edit source]
Talk to the gem trader in Al Kharid about Avan. He remembers talking to a 'high and mighty' person of noble blood, looking for jewellery made from 'perfect gold'; he had directed him north towards the gold pit in the desert, the Al Kharid Mine.
Head there and talk to Avan, the man with a yellow cape wandering around the pit entrance. He tells you that he is trying to win the affection of a certain lady by gifting her a ruby-studded ring and necklace made out of 'perfect' gold. You can mine uncut ruby from the Uncommon gem rock at the north end of the mine and cut them (requires 20 Mining and 34 Crafting). Unfortunately, the gold here in the desert isn't nearly good enough for him. He'll tell you about a dwarf named Boot who might know the whereabouts of this 'perfect' gold.
Make your way to the Dwarven Mines below the Ice Mountain, a short distance northeast from the Falador lodestone. Boot can be found in a cavern to the south-west of the general store; talk to him and ask him about the elusive gold. He'll tell you that the highest quality of gold can be found in a small dungeon near Witchaven, although it isn't really easy to get to it.
Make sure to get good food and armour before heading into the Witchaven dungeon, as there are monsters that may harm lower levelled players (level 35 Hobgoblins, level 67 Ogres and level 92 Hellhounds). Home teleport to Ardougne and head east then south to an "old ruin entrance", and climb down it.
Keep following the path and then head south to a locked door to the east that leads to a room that holds a couple of hellhounds, along with the 'Perfect' gold rocks. To the north and south are two rooms with levers in and outside of them – you'll have to do a lever puzzle to unlock the gate to the caged area.
Remember that if you logout while doing the puzzle you will have to start over:
- Head to the northern lever located outside the room and pull it up.
- Head to the southern lever, located inside the room and pull it up.
- Return to the northern room and pull the lever outside the room down.
- Enter the northern room and push the lever in there up.
- Leave the room and pull the one outside the northern room up.
- Go back to the southern room and pull the inside lever down.
- Now you are free to enter the room with the hellhounds.
Mine two gold ores in the room and head to any furnace to smelt them into perfect gold bars, there's one just west of the Al Kharid lodestone. Next, make the perfect ring and perfect necklace by using the perfect gold bar on the furnace with two rubies in your inventory.
Johnathon[edit | edit source]
The last brother — Johnathon — is staying in the Jolly Boar Inn, near the Lumber Yard. He is upstairs in one of the bedrooms. Climb up the stairs to talk to him; he'll tell you that he got bit by a poison spider. Use the antipoison on him, and he'll be very grateful and relate to you about what happened. Apparently, Johnathon attempted to kill a blood demon called Chronozon. Unfortunately, Chronozon defeated him, and in his efforts to escape, he was bitten by the poisonous spider. When you ask him for the third part of the crest, he says that he dropped it while fighting Chronozon and that you must go retrieve it.
Chronozon is located in the Edgeville Dungeon, which is in the ruined building just south of the bank. Climb down into the dungeon and keep going north along that path, taking a left at the farthest corner.
You may make use of the safespot in the north-west side of the cave, behind the space between the stalagmite and the torch. You may have to kill the aggressive poison spiders, but they can't attack you once you are in position.
You must use each of Air, Water, Earth, and Fire Blast to defeat Chronozon (they can be auto-casted, and abilities work). You must continue to attack using the blast spell until you receive the message "... Blast seems to have done all it will to Chronozon", at which point you must switch to another Blast spell. After you cast the blast spells successfully, you can fight Chronozon however you like. If you leave the area or logout during the fight, Chronozon will be restored to full health and you will have to recast the spells, even if you had already weakened him.
Once you've killed him, he will drop the crest part. Simply grab it and leave.
The crest reassembled[edit | edit source]
Now that you have all three crest pieces, put them together by using any one part with another to make the family crest and then make your way back to Varrock. Give the crest to Dimintheis, who will be very pleased to have it back.
Congratulations, quest complete!
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 1 quest point
- Family gauntlets, which can then be enchanted into Chaos gauntlets, Cooking gauntlets or Smelting gauntlets. If you want one of the other pairs, you can right click on your current gloves to switch for 25,000 gold.
- Access to the hellhounds in Witchaven Dungeon
- Ability to store gold and silver ore and bars in the metal bank and the ore box
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys and 2 Hearts of Ice
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Family Crest ( 0) – Complete this Experienced quest.
- Varrock achievements
- Seers' Village achievements
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
Family Crest is directly required for the following quests/miniquests:
- Children of Mah
- Full completion of Curse of the Black Stone
- Full completion of Desperate Times
- Dimension of Disaster
- Dimension of Disaster: Curse of Arrav
- Dimension of Disaster: Defender of Varrock
- Dishonour among Thieves
- Fate of the Gods
- Full completion of Heart of Stone
- In Memory of the Myreque
- Kindred Spirits
- Koschei's Troubles
- Love Story
- Mahjarrat Memories
- Full completion of Missing, Presumed Death
- Full completion of Nadir
- Nomad's Elegy
- One of a Kind
- Rebuilding Edgeville
- Recipe for Disaster
- Recipe for Disaster: Defeating the Culinaromancer
- Recipe for Disaster: Freeing Sir Amik Varze
- Ritual of the Mahjarrat
- River of Blood
- Sliske's Endgame
- Tales of Nomad
- The Branches of Darkmeyer
- The Curse of Arrav
- The Light Within
- The Lord of Vampyrium
- The Lost Toys
- The Mighty Fall
- The Temple at Senntisten
- Full completion of The World Wakes
- While Guthix Sleeps
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 30 April 2018 (Update):
- Fixed a grammatical error with Dimintheis's dialogue at the start of this quest.
- update 26 November 2018 (Update):
- Text during this quest when talking about how to defeat Chronozon now specifically states Blast spells are required.
- patch 7 January 2014 (Update):
- Players will now need to recast all of the blast spells if they leave the fight with Chronozon after successfully casting blast spells.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- While talking with the Gem Trader, he says "I know there's gold out there, in them there sand dunes," a reference to the saying "there's gold in them there hills," (referencing a gold rush in real life).
- After the PvP Wilderness was returned, Chronozon was hard for some players to deal with because he was in a PvP area, even though Jagex had promised to move all quests out of the wilderness. After some ranting in the forums (now archived), a tunnel was added that took him out of the Wilderness to his current, non-PvP location.
- Orry, the NPC watching over the beacon just north of the Jolly Bear inn, will refuse to talk to the player if Johnathon is still ailing. After the player has used an anti-poison on Johnathon, the usual options for beacon-NPC's are available again.
- Before the Evolution of Combat, chaos gloves increased bolt spell's max hit by 40. After the evolution of combat they stopped working due to a bug. It has since been fixed and they now provide a 10% damage bonus when using bolts spells.
- When first receiving the family gauntlets the player can instantly destroy them and talk to Dimintheis again to receive the cooking gauntlets.
- Johnathon still states that Chronozon must be damaged with each of the four spells of death, despite Evolution of Combat removing the Death rune requirement from the blast spells, prior to being fixed.
- You used to be able to use Deathtouched darts to complete the quest without 59 magic, but it was updated to require 59 magic to start.