|Release date||4 April 2022 (Update)|
|Quest series||Elder Gods|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Overview[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Moia at the surface entrance of Senntisten. Show in map|
|Member requirement||Members only|
|Official length||Very Long|
|Requirements||Skill requirements are not boostable unless marked with a [B] for boostable.
For full storyline comprehension, completion of the following quests is recommended but not required:
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.|
|Enemies to defeat||
Breakout[edit | edit source]
Talk to Moia outside the ancient door acting as the entrance to Senntisten. She will explain that the TzekHaar are trying to flood out into the surface and she had just eliminated the group that did. She also introduces "Hebe" to you. As the TzekHaar should be fighting the garrison inside, she asks you to eliminate them and check in on the defenders.
Enter the dungeon and select the Extinction option, where Seren will narrate a short cutscene summarizing the Elder God Wars. After the cutscene ends, kill all of the TzekHaar situated outside the TzekHaar Front. There are four each of TzekHaar-Hur, TzekHaar-Mej, and TzekHaar-Xil. The bank chest inside can be used if you need to get equipment.
After killing the TzekHaar, head inside the cathedral.
Preparations[edit | edit source]
Inside, Saradomin will be surprised by Adrasteia's appearance as he had specifically ordered her to stay on Hallow and introduces the group to her as his daughter. Saradomin will then be upset at Moia's presence due to Zamorak's betrayal, but Moia insists she is working on her own accord and Adrasteia backs her claim. Ask the gods about the status of the fronts and the eggs, of which they tell you the elders' forces are pushing harder due to Zamorak's withdrawal.
Countermeasures[edit | edit source]
Croesus Front[edit | edit source]
Talk to Gorvek or Hannibus, who will tell you that Croesus is slowly advancing. Make your way to the normal graveyard where you will find that Croesus has somehow moved closer to the cathedral. An extremely simplified version of the original fight will play out; deplete the four mutated fungal nodes found where the normal nodes usually are (calcified fungus, fungal algae, fungal spores, and timber fungus). Croesus will only attack with the Spore Bombs, Hard Fungus Fall and Slime Mould attacks; the other attacks are not enabled.
After depleting the last mutated node, Croesus will be sent into a dormant state. Return to the cathedral and speak to Saradomin, who sends you to the Glacor Front as Azzanadra is by himself holding off the Arch-Glacor.
Glacor Front[edit | edit source]
Ignore the glacytes on the way and speak to Azzanadra, who tells you he had to have the others retreat after Enakhra abandoned them. You will need to kill the generating glacors on the aqueduct as they are spawning many glacytes to the arena. The Arch-Glacor will attack as soon as you enter, so don't tarry too long.
The Arch-Glacor will only use magic and ranged auto-attacks, along with the Pillars of Ice and Glacytes mechanic; the latter only summons two melee-using glacytes with 5,000 health. Burn each ice pillar one at a time and use the portal to enter the aqueduct and kill the glacor. For the last glacor, burn both the western and middle pillars. After doing so, Azzanadra will thank you and tell you to return to the cathedral.
Nodon Front[edit | edit source]
Saradomin will tell you that a large amount of Siege engines have been placed and are heavily bombarding the cathedral. Both Nex and Kenton Decarte are having little success in destroying the cannons.
Man the abandoned siege engine and destroy the enemy cannons. Kerapac will appear and resummon them; simply repeat until he grows bored and destroys the cannon. Destroy any remaining cannons leftover. TzKal-Zuk will then emerge from the TzekHaar Front, demanding your attention. Saradomin will order you to face Zuk while he orders Armadyl to help him destroy the eggs. Seren seems to consider this for a moment but instead teleports them and herself out of the dungeon. You will now be tasked with finding Seren while Saradomin and Armadyl face Zuk.
Searching for Seren[edit | edit source]
You will be brought out of the dungeon after following the dialogue. Talk to Moia, Adrasteia or Hannibus. Moia will search Gielinor for Seren while Hannibus suggests you speak to Vicendithas as he was studying anima, believing that it could be a way to track the eggs. Moia will hand you a communication device if you have any developments for her. If you've completed Fate of the Gods, get The Measure.
Vicendithas will be surprised by your arrival and you will inform him of the situation with the Elder Gods. He reveals that he was creating a device to measure the ambient anima of a planet's runescape. You will suggest the Measure at first, but he declines, as the Measure was meant for fine-tuning. He asks if the Locator is available, but you tell him that Zaros stole it from Saradomin. He will then take the Measure if you have one available. Talk with Hannibus until Vicendithas finishes the device. He will use it, but find that Gielinor's runescape is normal, indicating that Seren took the eggs elsewhere. Use the device and you will inform everyone to meet at the World Gate.
Hopping worlds[edit | edit source]
Head to the World Gate. The group will suggest where to go, so suggest Tarddiad as it was where Seren first met the elves. After talking to the group, move to the south-eastern settlement and investigate the two crystals. The group will then relocate to the area just northwest of it. Investigate the crystal and then move up north and speak to Angof. Angof will learn of the reason to your visit and tell you that Seren only visited once after reforming, but did not come. Kerapac will then arrive and demand the eggs. Angof will summon the locals to stall him, allowing the group to escape back to Gielinor.
Adrasteia will suggest going to Naragun due to Seren's relationship with Guthix. Enter the World Gate again to go there and speak to the group. Proceed to Search the area speaking to the individual group members along the way. You will not find any fruitful results, so return to the World Gate. You will find Kerapac blocking the way. While he would gladly try to fight Jas if he could, he cannot bring himself to due to his control. The group will then escape through the portal. Vicendithas will then suggest Kethsi, seeing that the Stone of Jas used to be held there and abused by its inhabitants. Enter the world gate once more to get there.
Kerapac will intercept the group again, but this time you will reason with him to restrain himself as he too wants to harm Jas even if it means dying constantly. Vicendithas will then ask if there was a planet where all of the eggs were housed; you will immediately recognise it as Freneskae. Enter the World Gate; Vicendithas will confirm Seren is on the planet. Moia will offer a teleport straight to the Cradle. Talk with the group again and then enter to the Elder Halls.
Final stop[edit | edit source]
Seren will explain that she teleported the eggs because she did not want the Elder Gods, her family, to become extinct. Recalling her past, she chose to return to Freneskae's Elder Halls to rest. You will then hear rumbling above; go up to investigate. A dark portal will have appeared, emitting dangerous quantities of shadow anima. Go back inside and talk to Seren. Seren will explain that the portal is one of the two Shadow Breaches. Moia will ask if it was the same one, but Seren explains that there was always two; one contained on Gielinor and the other wild. However, it should have not have been able to reach Freneskae and she assumes that Zaros had played a role in its arrival. She suspects that whatever Zaros did, the Shadow Breach is trying to find the eggs. More sounds will come, which you recognise of that as Kerapac.
You will ask Vicendthias and Moia to come, while Hannibus and Adrasteia stay behind to guard Seren. Kerapac will then sense Jas' arrival, but he defies her, using the Needle to delay her advance. He will tell you to head into Erebus to find something to end Jas for good, wondering what you are due to your immunity to it.
Erebus[edit | edit source]
The toxic air of Erebus means that the player cannot remain in the alternative universe for long. You will need to find something in Erebus to harm Jas. Due to the crippling nature of shadow anima, the player is initially restricted to walk speed.
Scattered across Erebus are Shadow animica rocks, motes of shadow anima and both telekinetic and abyssal souls. Telekinetic souls are used to move boulders while abyssal souls are used to open inactive rifts; only one of each soul can be carried at a time. To attune yourself to Erebus, absorb the shadow anima and crush collected shadow animica. Players are initially allowed to remain for a minute before being ejected out, resetting most progress but any collected souls will remain in the inventory. Souls will also respawn inside the realm.
- At 20% attunement, the player's movement speed is increased slightly.
- At 40% attunement, the player can stay in Erebus for an additional 15 seconds.
- At 60% attunement, the player can run.
- At 80% attunement, an additional 15 seconds are added.
- 100% attunement is required to activate the idol at the end of the "maze".
- After 20 attempts, additional time can be optionally added.
- While exploring Erebus, prioritise gathering 100% anima. The steps below assume the player has as much anima as allowed for each area. Use the quick action button to leave early when needed.
- Grab the telekinetic soul and use it to move the boulder in the nearby area. Grab the abyssal soul.
- Grab another telekinetic soul.
- Use the abyssal soul to enter the inactive rift nearby. Upon entering use the telekinetic soul to move the boulder to the lodestone with three circles around it.
- Go back and grab the telekinetic soul at the start to move the other boulder. Collect the abyssal soul underneath it.
- Use the abyssal soul on the inactive rift to the east. Grab the telekinetic soul nearby and move the last boulder.
- Enter the lodestone. The player will find a relic of the titans which acts as a checkpoint by setting everything prior to this step in place.
- Grab a telekinetic and abyssal soul before moving across as the anima bridge is one-way.
- Move the boulder out of the way and activate the portal.
- Harvest the unimaginable memories.
- Grab another abyssal soul.
- Use the memories on the boiling rift, then use the soul on the rift.
- Activate the idol.
Upon activating the idol, a shadow leviathan will be alerted to its activation. Sliske's masks will tell you to leave before it arrives and you will find yourself back on Freneskae.
Banishing an Elder God[edit | edit source]
A cutscene will begin when Jas will break through the Needle's effects. Before she could do anything, a shadow leviathan emerges from the breach and fights Jas. Kerapac tips the balance towards the leviathan's favour, but with the Needle broken, he too is dragged into Erebus alongside Jas before the breach shuts. Collect the fragments and then talk to anyone. An Echo of Kerapac will appear, delighted that he had finally gotten his vengeance against Jas, and that despite being in danger himself, will relish whatever torment Jas suffers along with him. Hannibus tries to reconcile Kerapac and Vicendithas, but none have any words to exchange.
Go back down into the Elder Halls. Seren will be alarmed as she realises that the Needle is now broken and a shadow breach is loose on Gielinor. The group will try to convince her the best way to deal with the eggs, with Hannibus suggesting Iaia to let them die in peace. Seren refuses to let them die and teleports away, leaving behind a rift.
Twilight of the gods[edit | edit source]
There is currently a bug where dying during the boss fight will lead to being unable to progress through the quest.
The rift will lead into Iaia, prompting the group to realise that Seren intends to hatch the eggs on the planet. She ignores the group's pleas, believing that they're trying to kill the Elder Gods off. With no choice, the group settles on evacuating as many Ilujankans as possible. Hannibus will lead the group to Elder Chahoua. Chahoua believes the end of times has come, but Vindicta refuses to let everyone die and tries to get the few younger ones to leave. The group will scatter to begin the evacuation efforts; you will be tasked with finding any in the current village.
Speak to the Pastkeeper, Craftmaster, Pondkeeper and Plantkeeper. The pastkeeper will refuse to leave but hand you a pastkeeper amulet to give to Sharrigan. The Craftmaster will ask you to collect some tools around his workshop before he leaves. The pondkeeper will ask you to catch some of the fish by the nearby pond, giving you a fish bucket and small fishing net. Catch four fish and return to him. The plantkeeper will refuse to leave, but her sister does and asks you to collect seeds from four plants around the village before she goes. Two of the plants are next to the pair, while the other two are further down south.
After everyone from the current village leaves, the group convenes to start evacuating the next one. However, Seren begins the process of calling the Elders as they need to come at a precise moment to pass their memories down. While she does not like this path, she does acknowledge your soul and what Guthix had seen to appoint you as his World Guardian. Vicendithas will suggest delaying the process by using the Needle's shards and map down the most optimal spots.
After placing two shards, Seren will begin initiating combat with the player. This is an unsafe battle with three phases, and your gravestone will be placed by the World Gate if you die. However, each phase serves as a checkpoint, so if you teleport or die during the fight, you will resume from the start of the phase you left off at.
In the first phase, she will create a Light Lord and Dark Lord. Kill the Dark Lord first via the shadows it summons, who leave behind a core to cleanse one for 1,000 damage per hit. A total of ten shadows need to be killed to reduce the Dark Lord's health to zero. After the Dark Lord is dead, click the leftover energy rifts and move them onto the Light Lord a total of four times to kill him and lower Seren's barriers, allowing you to place a third shard.
The second phase of the battle features Seren summoning a Vestige of Mah and a Mah Wisp, along with several Muspah. Kill the Muspah to make the wisp vulnerable to damage, then attack the wisp. You only have a short period of time to damage the wisp, after which Seren will summon more muspah of gradually increasing size and combat level. Therefore, focus on maximum damage every time you are able to damage the wisp, using high-damage threshold and ultimate abilities and special attacks. Using Soul Split while damaging the wisp can help recover some health if you need it. Once the wisp is destroyed, the manifestation fades away, allowing you to place a fourth shard and move to the battle's final phase.
The third and final phase begins with Seren summoning remnants of herself that launch waves of fire on command, dealing around 2,700 magic damage per hit. This hit will ignore most defensive abilities. Soon after, she will have the eggs rumble around the arena, emitting shockwaves of similar damage and effect. The damage can be reduced with the use of the Aegis aura and the Animate dead spell. Resonance can be used to heal off of the shockwaves if necessary. Afterwards, the eggs will summon aspects that attack with magic and have 1,500 life points, while incorporating the fire waves and egg bursts. Killing the aspects is not necessary; you only need to survive for roughly two minutes. Tank armour is strongly recommended here, as is a shield, for use of Barricade and Resonance. A powerburst of vitality can also prove helpful for increasing your chances of survival. Prioritise avoiding the eggs and the waves of fire by running perpendicular to the waves. Staying in the waves by not moving or running horizontally within them will deal continuous hits and kill you quickly.
After surviving this wave, Adrasteia will urge you to leave through the gate, but Moia will betray you and shut it off before you are able to reach it, declaring that Zamorak will be grateful for the World Guardian's death and leaving you stranded. You may attempt to use the gate but it will not respond.
Death of Iaia[edit | edit source]
The Elders then arrive and hatch the eggs, destroying Iaia; somehow, you survive. You will then find yourself in your mind consciousness, where Seren expresses surprise that you were somehow spared from the Great Revision, before noticing that Guthix's enhancement had protected them; however, the power you acquired from Erebus is gone. Seren herself was spared because the Elders recognised her. As the hatchlings emerged from a non-perfect world, they're far weaker but she promises to keep them on Iaia and protect them from the dangers of the universe. You may choose to either trust or distrust her but either way she will be set in her decision. She also warns you to stay away from her or her new family before dismissing you.
Dawn after the Great Revision[edit | edit source]
Back at the World Gate, Moia tries to convince the group that you had died when you suddenly appear before them. You accuse Moia of assassination, which she doesn't deny because Gielinor can't be claimed if its protector is around. While she did prioritise Gielinor's safety first, she thought it was also a good chance to eliminate the World Guardian at the same time. Adrasteia will be shocked by Moia's betrayal, but Moia states that she doesn't have the experience of war and teleports away before anyone could react. Hannibus mourns the death of his home world while Vicendithas leaves to console him, who tells you to inform the gods at Senntisten.
Return to the dungeon via the quest option and head back to the cathedral. You will ask the gods where everyone went. Saradomin will tell you that after they were relieved of the eggs, they made short work of the Elders' forces; Zuk was forced back to the Kiln, Azzanadra returned the Arch-Glacor to Leng, while Croesus was completely incinerated. The gods did not know where Kerapac went, as he was missing by the time they reached the colosseum. You will tell them of his sacrifice and what happened to Seren and the eggs. The gods fear that the Great Revision would start anew, but you tell them that Seren pledged to keep them on Iaia, convinced the universe was too dangerous for them. They then ask of Jas, of which you tell them she was banished to Erebus, much to Azzanadra's surprise. You then inform them of Moia's betrayal.
The gods will thank you for your services; Saradomin will leave with Adrasteia to oversee recovery efforts in Falador and Armadyl teleports to Prifddinas to honour the agreement he made with Seren. Azzanadra will ask to speak with you outside, needing some fresh air. Outside, Azzanadra is content with peace and still maintains a firm belief that Zaros is still out there in Erebus, having been forsaken in his wisdom. Azzanadra will thank you for saving the universe.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 4 quest points
- 4 XP lamps (requiring level 75 in the chosen skill and yielding 175,000 experience each)
- Access to the Dream of Iaia
- Access to high-tier resource-limited rates in six skills: Construction, Crafting, Fishing, Fletching, Herblore and Hunter. Anachronia base camp resources can be used for skilling. This is also repeatable content (10 hours of activity).
- Sufficient training unlocks two new skyboxes: Amber Haze and Iaia (Surface)
- The ability to upgrade the pontifex shadow ring into the enriched pontifex shadow ring.
- A Warped gem, which you can collect from Vicendithas in the Effigy Incubator, after visiting Iaia, to combine with the ring of vigour in order to gain its benefits passively.
- Access to 'Accidental' Fletching and Firemaking
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys (Ironman accounts will not receive these)
- Music unlocked
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Extinction ( 0) – Complete this Grandmaster quest.
- Out of the Past ( 10) – Give Sharrigan her mentor's Pastkeeper Amulet.
- To Dream, Perchance to Keep ( 25) – Help Pastkeeper Sharrigan to remember all stories within the 'Dream of Iaia'.
- Bill & Ben's Egg/Salon Joint Venture ( 0) – After Extinction quest, 'eggs'plore Prehistoric Potterington's (sunny)-side-(up) hustle.
- A Hatching Pair ( 5) – After Extinction quest, ask Prehistoric Potterington at the Anachronia dinosaur farm about zygomites.
- Off to See the Lizard ( 5) – Help Galgalar the ilujanka near the incubator south of the Anachronia dinosaur farm.
- Egg McGuffin ( 5) – Help Ben the ancient zygomite near the mystical tree south of the Anachronia dinosaur farm.
- Fibbin' Archery Sequence ( 5) – Help Salusan the ilujanka near the mystical tree on the west coast of Anachronia.
- Can I Offer You An Egg In This Trying Time? ( 10) – Find an unchecked egg in the pile of dinosaur eggs south of Anachronia dinosaur farm.
- Mycotherapy ( 10) – Find an unchecked zygomite while carestyling south of Anachronia dinosaur farm.
- Mycomanagement ( 5) – Help Bill the ancient zygomite near the mystical tree on the west coast of Anachronia.
- Needles from the Skips ( 0) – Show an elder god arrow to Prehistoric Potterington.
- The Plop Thickens ( 5) – Use Potterington Blend #102 Fertiliser or dinosaur 'propellant' on Prehistoric Potterington.
- Potting Is Such Sweet Sorrow ( 5) – Help Bill (near the mystical tree on the west coast of Anachronia) realise his 'pot'ential.
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
Extinction is not currently required for any quests or miniquests.
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Cutscenes[edit | edit source]
Art[edit | edit source]
Development[edit | edit source]
Credits[edit | edit source]
|Gameplay||Mod Shrike, Mod Shrew, Mod Orion, Mod Rowley, Mod Raven, Mod Asherz, Mod Hunter|
|Writing||Mod Shrike, Mod Jack, Mod William, Mod Raven|
|Narrative||Mod Shrike, Mod Raven|
|Production||Mod Stacey, Mod KT|
|Art & Graphics|
|Environment||Mod Blkwitch, Mod Fenix, Lakshya Digital (outsourced)|
|Characters||Mod Soffan, Mod Dragon|
|Concept||Mod BakingaZ, Mod Neil|
|Animation||Mod Wing, Mod Haku, Mod Hing, Mod Paul B, Balisti Studios (outsourced)|
|Poster||Maximus Gugu (outsourced)|
|Quality assurance||Mod Chaose, Mod Cel, Mod Forza, Mod Giara, Lionbridge (outsource)|
|Audio||Mod Grace, Mod Surma, Mod Kas|
|Community Management||Mod Hooli, Mod Azanna, Mod Miva|
|Databox • Talk page|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 25 April 2022 (Update):
- The Pontifex Shadow Ring can be now imbued after finishing the Extinction quest.
- The Ring of Vigour can be now turned into a permanent passive effect.
- Fixed an issue where the player could get soft locked after dying during phase three of the Seren Boss fight.
- Dialogue between the Player and Azzanadra on The Glacor Front will no longer be interrupted by the Glacytes.
- NPCs have been removed from the Elder Halls at the state where the player finishes the Erebus puzzle.
- Cannonfire sound effects are no longer present once the war in Senntisten has concluded. Coast is clear folks!
- Capitalisation and typos update.
- hotfix 4 April 2022 (Update):
- There was an error with how checkpoints operated during the segment of the quest at the Glacor front.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Extinction is the first grandmaster difficulty quest to be released since Sliske's Endgame, which was released on 19 December 2016, 1,932 days before Extinction's release date.
- Vicendithas calls the anima field of a world its "runescape", a term preferred by Charos, rather than an "animasphere", the term normally used by dragonkin.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Jagex. Mod Shrike's Twitter account. 4 April 2022. (Archived from the original on 4 April 2022.) Mod Shrike: "We're aware that some players experiencing issues with checkpointing at the Glacor front during Extinction... This has been hotfixed! Re-enter the instance and you should be good to continue"
- ^ Colossi & The Time of Colossi, written by Reldo, "Lore Hunter", RuneScape. "The runescape is my term for the anima (magical energy) field that surrounds our world. The dragonkin called it the 'animasphere', and I believe it is what the gnomes are inexpertly and superstitiously trying to grasp with their notion of a 'world soul'."