An Ex-ex-parrot is an undead pet parrot that originally belonged to Achmed the Brutally Violent.
Players can obtain it after completing the Rocking Out quest. Level 71 Summoning is also required. To obtain it players must do the following:
- Talk to Bill Teach (choose the option 'Rocking Out') on his ship in Port Phasmatys, or on Mos Le'Harmless. He will give you a Magical cage
- Talk to 50 Ships Mufassah located upstairs in the northern bar on Mos Le'Harmless. He will give you a dead parrot, called an Ex-parrot.
- Use the Ex-parrot on the magical cage.
- Use the cage on the Slab (with the black mask symbol on it) found directly WEST of the Mos Le'Harmless Cave (cave horrors cave) entrance, giving the player an Ex-ex-parrot in a magic cage.
- Take the Ex-ex-parrot out of its cage
- If desired, use the chisel on the Slab, chipping off Rock fragments for food.
The slab is due west of the Cave Horror cave entrance.
A player reviving the Ex-parrot.
The Ex-ex-parrot eats Rock fragments which are chipped away from the Slab found just west of the Cave horror cave on Mos Le'Harmless. The rock fragments do not stack in your inventory. The Ex-ex-parrot gains hunger at a level much slower than other pets. A rarely used method for feeding the Ex-ex-parrot is to put it back in the Magical cage and using it on the Slab, though this is very inefficient. The Ex-ex-parrot has no growing to do, so it will never mature into a different form. Unlike other pets, players can understand the Ex-ex-parrot without needing 10 extra Summoning levels past the original requirement.
The Ex-Ex-parrot can be stored in the menagerie of a player owned house and can also be fed using the player owned houses pet feeder.
The Ex-ex-parrot doesn't need to be fed to stay with you even though it will still get hungry over time. Despite it getting hungry, it won't run away.
- The name "Ex-ex-parrot" is a reference to the classic Monty Python "Dead Parrot" sketch, in which John Cleese exclaims "This is an EX-PARROT!" Also, in the sketch, John Cleese says, "This parrot has ceased to be!" The examine text (This parrot has unceased to be!) seems to reference that.
- The parrot's speech all pertains to the Samuel Taylor Coleridge poem "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner". Specifically, the woman who is life within death, the painted ship upon the painted ocean, the beginning of the poem where the Mariner starts telling his tale to a man attending a wedding, and the shooting of the albatross which led to the becalming of the ship.
- When the Ex-ex-parrot says "Wanna hear a story?" and "A long one!", it may be a reference to the movie Paulie, the majority of which is a flashback told as told by the titular parrot, Paulie.
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- patch 11 June 2013 (Update):
- A spelling mistake with the ex-ex parrot transformation has been corrected.
- patch 8 July 2009 (Update):
- Corrected typos in the following: Hunt for Red Raktuber, Soul Wars Tutorial, the ex-ex-parrot, Mosol Rei's chat, Ana from the Tourist Trap quest, evil tree examines, Mourning's Ends 1 and 2 text, and a few Agility courses.