Ernest the Chicken
|Ernest the Chicken (#7)|
|Release date||21 January 2001 (Update)|
|Main developer(s)||Paul Gower|
|Quality assurance||Unknown edit|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Ernest the Chicken is a quest available to all players. It was one of the first quests developed. Players must discover what has happened to the missing Ernest, who went into Draynor Manor to ask for directions and never returned.
|“||Veronica is very worried. Her fiancé went into the big spooky manor house to ask for directions. An hour later and he's still not out yet.||”|
- Developer: Paul Gower
- Conversion: James B
- QuestHelp: Nishal K
- Audio: Ian T
|Start point||Veronica, south of Draynor Manor gates.|
|Member requirement||Free to play|
|Requirements||Skill requirements are not boostable unless marked with a [B] for boostable.
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.
|Enemies to defeat||
Enter the manor and climb up the staircase and then climb the ladder to the left of the stairs to reach the top floor. Talk to Professor Oddenstein, who will explain that Ernest was turned into a chicken, when he was helping on an experiment with his 'pouletmorph' machine. However, to change him back, the professor needs parts that were stolen and hidden by the poltergeists in the manor.
To get the pressure gauge, you will need some fish food and poison. The fish food is in a blue box, found on the 1st floor[UK]2nd floor[US], in the room across the staircase to the south. To get the poison, you need to go to the small north-western room on the ground floor[UK]1st floor[US].
Once you have obtained both items, use the poison with the fish food to create some poisoned fish food. Go outside the manor through the east door and look for the fountain on the south-west corner of the garden. Use the poisoned fish food with the fountain to kill the piranhas and search the fountain to get the gauge.
From the fountain, head north and look for a compost heap. Search it with a spade to obtain a grimy key. Return to inside the manor and go to the room behind the staircase.
Go to the western-most room on the ground floor[UK]1st floor[US]. Search the candle sconce on the right to gain access to a secret room. Look for a ladder that leads downwards, and climb down into the basement. There will be doors and levers around you. Follow the steps given below to obtain the oil can.
- It is not possible to use Telekinetic Grab to pick up the oil can.
- Players can reset the puzzle by leaving the basement and going back, using the Home Teleport if necessary.
All levers start in the "up" position.
- Pull levers A and B up.
- Enter door 1 to reach the north-east room and pull lever D up.
- Enter doors 2 and 3 to reach the main room and pull levers A and B down.
- Enter doors 3, 4, and 5 to reach the north-west room and pull levers E and F up.
- Enter doors 6 and 7 to reach the north-east room and pull lever C up.
- Enter doors 7 and 6 to reach the north-west room and pull lever E down.
- Enter doors 6, 8, and 3 to reach the main room.
- Enter door 9 and grab the oil can.
Climb back up the ladder to the bedroom, then pull the lever next to the empty bookcase to pass back through the wall.
Go all the way up to the top floor and talk to Professor Oddenstein. Give him the items and he will fix his machine, which will turn Ernest back into a human.
- 4 quest points
- 3,000 coins
- 10 eggs
- 300 feathers
- Access to the killerwatt plane (members-only)
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys and 2 Hearts of Ice
- Music unlocked
- Ernest the Chicken ( 0) – Complete this Novice quest.
- Any Odd Chicken ( 5) – Claim Professor Oddenstein's extra rewards after the 'Ernest the Chicken'.
Required for completing
Ernest the Chicken is directly required for the following quests/miniquests:
- patch 15 December 2009 (Update):
- The following quests have received a number of minor changes and improvements: Cook's Assistant, Ernest the Chicken, Restless Ghost, Rune Mysteries, Sheep Shearer. If you have already completed these quests, it may be worth your time talking to the Lumbridge cook, Fred the Farmer and Professor Oddenstein (outside Draynor Manor).
|Removed or significantly changed|
|Italics denote that the quest was demoted to a miniquest.|