Death is unaware of the existence of Erebus, while Icthlarin himself has yet to guide a Zarosian follower there. Azzanadra claims that Erebus is where Zaros' faithful go upon death, unlike the "creation" of the "pretender" Guthix. The realm itself is virtually unknown, as no one has returned from Erebus; however, those attuned to the current of magic are able to sense the soul depart, but not know of its end location, so they simply called the destination Erebus. Funerary urns of miasma were used during rituals to help guide the soul of the deceased to Erebus.
It is later revealed during the Battle for the Monolith that Erebus is a universe of shadows, distinct from the universe Gielinor is located in. It is full of shadow anima that would quickly kill anyone that lacks the correct protection; even Zaros, a divine creation of Mah who could withstand some of the shadow, required an even larger amount to safely traverse. It is said that Erebus has multiple rulers, with Zaros intending to offer an unknown offering to them. One of these rulers is possibly Vos, a mysterious entity that spoke through the slightly-opened Monolith and attempted to convince Aurelius and Kolton to open it further.
Being an area with abundant shadow anima, numerous shadow cacklers and behemoths reside in Erebus. It is unknown if there are any other creatures that reside in there.
Erebus shares some similarities with the Shadow Realm, and whatever connections that exist between them are currently unknown.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
A shadow cackler from Erebus.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In 2016, Mod Osborne revealed that prior to the release of The World Wakes, Jagex had plans for a quest called "In the Mouth of Madness", regarding a Guardian of Guthix named Erebus, who was a floating, sentient prison where Guthix put those who unbalanced the world in.
- In Greek mythology, Erebus was often conceived as a primordial deity, representing the personification of darkness.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Raksha, the Shadow Colossus, RuneScape. "I WILL DRAG YOU INTO EREBUS."
- ^ Azzanadra, "Azzanadra's Quest", RuneScape. "But when a mortal of the faithful dies, their soul passes on from this world to another. Those attuned to the currents of magic can sense its passing, but we do not know the destination. We call that unknown place 'Erebus'."
- ^ Zaros, "Battle of the Monolith", RuneScape.
- Azzanadra: ...Erebus.
- Zaros: Yes. My destination. What I seek cannot be found in this universe, and so I go in search of another. I have the apparatus I require - the material to shield myself, a tool to guide me in that place, and an offering for those who rule there. All that remains is to use the knowledge I have gleamed to open the way.
- Azzanadra: Let me go with you.
- Zaros: No. It would kill you.
- ^ Inquisitior's Memoirs (page 9), RuneScape.
- ^ Mod Osborne. RuneScape Podcast #87 - Free Love And Sheep. 17 May 2016. (Archived from the original on 2 June 2021.) "We put together a quest brief for something called "In the Mouth of Madness", which was about a Guardian of Guthix called Erebus, who was a floating prison. Like, Guthix used to put those who'd unbalance the world in."
|Realms and worlds|