The enchanted gem is an item used in the Slayer skill. They are sold by all Slayer Masters for one coin.
Activating the gem remotely contacts the player's current slayer master. Dialogue options allow the player to ask about their progress on the current task, who their slayer master is, where the master is located, and tips about fighting the assigned monster. The gem has a right-click option to quickly check how many monsters must be killed to complete the assignment. Before the right-click option was added, checking how many kills were left would be interrupted by combat, so players had to wait until the monster was defeated before checking their progress.
New Slayer tasks cannot be obtained through the gems; a player must talk to the Slayer Master in person.
An alternative to the gem is a charged and equipped Combat bracelet, which informs the player of their current Slayer task count every 10 kills. Another alternative is activating the Slayer counter (Gameplay > Interfaces > Information Windows). The counter is a small rectangle which shows the number of kills left in the current task. Hovering the mouse over the counter identifies the assigned monster and, for players with access to the sunken pyramid, whether the monster's soul has been captured.
Since the Social Slayer was introduced on 11 July 2012, players can now invite each other to speed up slayer assignments by using a ring of slaying or an enchanted gem on the partner. Note that both must be on the same assignment or at least one partner must have no assignment at all.
The enchanted gem is a component of the Commorb, obtained from Sir Tiffy Cashien, and the ring of slaying. If mass production of rings of slaying is required, Vannaka and Mandrith are the closest to a bank. Note that all Slayer Equipment shops share a stock of 300 enchanted gems and 5 enchanted gem packs, each containing 50 noted enchanted gems. The Burthorpe Slayer Equipment shop, which has a separate stock, contains another 300 gems and 5 packs. A total of 1100 enchanted gems may be obtained if all gems and packs are bought from both shops at one time. The packs restock to 5 on daily reset. On top of this, each shop also restocks 1 pack every few hours. This usually adds up to 2 packs per day per shop before daily reset hits, but occasionally 3 can be purchased per shop. The single gems do not restock on daily reset and take roughly 24 hours to restock to 300 gradually.
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 9 December 2019 (Update):
- Checking your kills left from an enchanted gem and grim gem now displays the text in an infobox, instead of only sending the feedback to game messages.
- patch 4 November 2019 (Update):
- When activating an enchanted gem to contact Turael/Spria, he/she will now state he/she is in Burthorpe, not Taverley.
- patch 10 June 2019 (Update):.
- Activating a slayer gem while on a task for Mandrith now contacts him instead of another slayer master.
- ninja 26 March 2018 (Update):
- Added Enchanted Gem packs to the Slayer store for 75 gold a box. Each box contains 50 noted enchanted gems with a base stock of 5 boxes that restock at midnight.
- patch 18 May 2015 (Update):
- The "Kills left" option on the enchanted gem in the Bank interface now displays the correct message.
- patch 10 August 2009 (Update):
- Obsolete programming technique involved in Slayer gem code has been resolved.
- patch 22 June 2009 (Update):
- The description for the location of ghouls wasn’t very useful if you were getting advice via the Slayer gem.
- The Enchanted gem is referred to as a 'Slayer gem' when all the charges on a Ring of slaying are used. "The ring collapses into a Slayer gem, which you stow in your pack." It is also referred to as such in the message when the player learns to craft rings of slaying.
- After While Guthix Sleeps has been completed it is still possible to contact Duradel by asking the master "Have you got any tips for me?" after a task has been completed, if you have the correct requirements they will pass you over to Duradel.
- Before the HD update, when contacting a slayer master via the gem, it would show the slayer master in a light blue oval instead of just a face.
- If you try to invite yourself to a Social Slayer task, you will get the message: If you want something done properly, you need to do it yourself...but not on this case.
- The default contact of the enchanted gem seems to be Duradel, even for free players who has never had a Slayer task. He will then refer players to a Slayer Master more appropriate to their combat level, which can also be members-only ones that free players cannot reach.