Elite monsters are more powerful versions of normal monsters that have a chance to spawn upon the death of one of its lower-levelled variants.
Many elite monsters tend to have triple the maximum hit of their normal counterparts. In addition, some have a special effect or attack that they can use in combat. Most elite monster kills reward players with 220% extra Slayer experience, if on task, compared to what would be earned from the normal monster. Most elite monsters also give three rolls on the monster's drop table.
The chances of elite monsters spawning can also be improved by up to roughly 4% by using fellstalk incense sticks. Once an elite monster has spawned, it is only attackable by the spawning player (and the spawning player's co-op slayer partner) for three minutes (unless they move a significant distance away). Afterwards, the elite ring circling the monster will change colour slightly and anyone may attack it. If ignored, elite monsters despawn on their own after some time.
Types of Elites[edit | edit source]
Normal Elites[edit | edit source]
If on a Slayer assignment, one elite monster is guaranteed to spawn (unless the task was received before the update on 27 July 2015). Otherwise, elite monsters generally follow a spawn rate of 1/1000 whilst off-task, doubling to 1/500 whilst on-task.
Special Elites[edit | edit source]
Other elite monsters, listed below and referred to as "special elites", are different than the normal lineup of elite monsters. They follow a different spawn rate than others:
- Elite soulgazers, rune dragons, and edimmu have a 1/50 spawn rate; being on or off-task is irrelevant.
- The spawn rate of elite soulgazers can be increased to 1/10 if the player is under the effect of seeker's charm.
- The spawn rate of elite edimmu can be increased with tier 2 or higher luck.
- The spawn rate of elite rune dragons cannot be affected by any modifiers.
- There is a 1/512 chance for an elite rune dragon to spawn as "Barry the Destroyer", which guarantees a Kethsi outfit scroll upon killing it.
- Cyclossus only spawns if the player is wielding of a rune defender or better.
- WildyWyrms randomly spawn after killing a lava strykewyrm, which is also accompanied with a server-wide announcement.
Some of these special elites also possess a drop that their normal variants do not possess:
- The Cyclossus can drop dragon defenders and cyclopean helmets
- Elite Edimmu can drop a pet item of its kind
Only the elite soulgazers follow the same triple drop roll as with the normal elites listed above; the other four special elites only have one roll on the main drop table, albeit improved.
|Rune dragon||Elite rune dragon|
|Barry the Destroyer|
Names[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 14 September 2020 (Update):
- Fixed an issue where Slayer Introspection could prevent the guaranteed Elite Slayer monster spawn if players reduced the size of the task.
References[edit | edit source]