Elite Dungeons are a set of dungeons that function similar to Raids. The first elite dungeon, Temple of Aminishi, was released on 25 June 2018 as part of a set of three dungeons with the same narrative. This was followed by the Dragonkin Laboratory and the Shadow Reef. The overarching story that connects these three dungeons is introduced and explored in the quest Curse of the Black Stone.
There are two modes when entering an Elite Dungeon: normal mode, a standard play of the dungeon; and story mode, an easier version where all enemies in the dungeon have 50% less health and deal 90% less damage, but most achievements cannot be completed, nor do the enemies drop anything apart from the bosses, who drop only lore books. The drop rate of the lore books is increased in story mode. The amount of Dungeoneering tokens is also reduced by 90% in story mode. Dying in the dungeons, regardless of setting, are considered unsafe deaths.
Both modes have two options: solo and group (2-3 players), using the Grouping System before entering. While teams can attempt the dungeons in groups anywhere from 1-3 players, this is up to personal preference. Solo runs have a slower kill time but generally yield better rewards, while group encounters clear faster but have reduced rewards.
Completing the quest Curse of the Black Stone grants players a permanent effect of taking 10% less damage from monsters in the elite dungeons. This effect stacks with the Enfeeble and Weaken curses. It also allows players to unlock an ability that enables both the loot chest and with the chance to double loot.
Dungeons[edit | edit source]
Temple of Aminishi[edit | edit source]
The Temple of Aminishi is the first elite dungeon, released on 25 June 2018. It features three bosses: the Sanctum Guardian, Masuta the Ascended, and Seiryu the Azure Serpent. The dungeon is inside the Temple of Aminishi which is located on the island of Aminishi and only requires completion of Impressing the Locals to access. The island can be accessed via a boat from Port Sarim.
Rewards from the dungeon include ancient scales, materials which are required to upgrade sirenic armour into its elite variant, Masuta's warspear, a tier 82 halberd-type weapon, and seasinger, Tetsu sword upgrade kits, and Death lotus extract which upgrades the ports weapons from tier 85 to 88. Cosmetics are also available including a Sakadagami outfit. The enemies in the dungeon can also drop steadfast scales with the use of the dungeon's lucky charms.
Dragonkin Laboratory[edit | edit source]
The dungeon features three bosses: Astellarn, Verak Lith, and the Black Stone Dragon. The laboratory is located in the Deep Wilderness Castle Ruins, but the area is safe, and teleports are available to quickly access the area. Unlike the Temple of Aminishi and the Shadow Reef, which is divided into multiple sections, the laboratory is contained within one full map.
Rewards from the dungeon include draconic energy, materials which are required to upgrade tectonic armour to its elite variant, and three codices to upgrade the Fury, Flurry and Barge abilities into their mutated counterparts. The enemies in the dungeon can also drop glaiven wing-tips and draconic visages with the use of the dungeon's lucky charms.
The Shadow Reef[edit | edit source]
The third and final elite dungeon, The Shadow Reef, was released on 25 February 2019. The Shadow Reef is set in Ulthven Kreath and draws on lore from Pieces of Hate, Nomad's Elegy, Til Death Do Us Part, and the Pirate quest series.
Unlike the other two dungeons, the Shadow Reef contains 16 potential mini-bosses, compared to 13 in the Temple of Aminishi and Dragonkin Laboratory. The dungeon features three bosses: The Crassian Leviathan, Taraket the Necromancer, and The Ambassador.
Rewards from the dungeon include components to create the eldritch crossbow, black stone hearts used to create three damage dealing sigils (against demons, dragons, and the undead), black stone arrow tips, and the shadowy egg which unlocks a pet. The enemies in the dungeon can also drop ragefire glands with the use of the dungeon's lucky charms.
Mechanics[edit | edit source]
Monsters[edit | edit source]
Many "mob" type monsters roam around in the settings they are found in. These mobs generally consist of either low or moderate health opponents found in clusters, or high health opponents often found in smaller numbers. Some of these monsters are linked to barriers throughout the dungeon, and in order to progress through them players must kill most if not all of the "linked" enemies. They are always found near the barriers they are guarding.
The enemies of these dungeons are significantly different compared to other common mobs in Gielinor; if one enemy spots a player, nearby enemies will also become aggressive, and can do so through corners or doorways that would limit their line of sight. One common trait shared between most monsters is that they are aggressive towards the player closest to them, regardless if distant players have Incite active or use Provoke. Like the demon boss and WildyWyrm, damaging monsters makes players eligible for rewards even if they did not deal the majority of damage.
Bosses & Mini-bosses[edit | edit source]
In each Elite Dungeon there are three boss fights, and four random mini-bosses appropriately themed for the dungeon for every new Elite Dungeon created.
Mini-bosses fall under three categories; "plain" mini-bosses who have no mechanics, "normal" mini-bosses who either use abilities or have special mechanics, and "challenging" mini-bosses who use mechanics similar to their original boss fight.
All three elite dungeons contain several "plain" mini-bosses, though the Dragonkin Laboratory is the only elite dungeon to have exclusively mini-bosses under this category. The Temple of Aminishi and Shadow Reef contain several "normal" mini-bosses. The Shadow Reef is the only elite dungeon which contains "challenging" mini-bosses.
The first two bosses must be defeated in order to progress further into the dungeon. These two bosses come with a variety of special mechanics which can prove deadly if not dealt with accordingly. The final boss is always assigned as part of a Soul Reaper assignment, and killing the bosses are requirements for the Final Boss title (along with its insane variant). All bosses' mechanics scale accordingly based on the amount of players in the arena when combat is initiated, and have two kill counters; normal ones which are kills fought in group encounters (even if a member leaves if the dungeon started with two or three players), and "hard" kills in which the boss is killed in a solo encounter.
Upon killing a boss or mini-boss, players who dealt damage to them will be awarded with 5,000 dungeoneering tokens.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
Elite dungeons use a chest-looting format like the Sophanem Slayer Dungeon. It is automatically set to auto-loot, in which defeated enemies automatically drop their rewards into the chest. Players can disable this feature and have a 20% chance for drops to be doubled. It can hold up to 32 different rewards, and excess rewards will be dropped on the ground instead and can be doubled even if the auto-loot feature is active, but at a reduced rate.  The elite dungeons share the same reward chest; a player's chest can have items from the Temple of Aminishi, Dragonkin Laboratory, and the Shadow Reef at the same time. The chests also serve as quick-teleports to checkpoints located throughout their respective dungeon.
Whenever this effect activates, a message in the chat box will appear stating, and bypasses the limited filter option.
After completing Curse of the Black Stone, players may buy an elite dungeons chest perk for 750,000 Dungeoneering tokens, which allows the chests inside the dungeons to act as a bank, though no healing effect is provided. The chests also provide a 20% and 5% chance to double drops obtained from boss and common monsters respectively in the dungeon, even when autoloot is enabled. Autoloot can still be disabled to get the full 20% chance of double item drops from common monsters.
Completing all three dungeons in consecutive order through Normal Mode will award players with an elite chest at the end of the Shadow Reef. These runs can be done in solo or groups.
Spotlight[edit | edit source]
|The Shadow Reef3 Jul|
|Temple of Aminishi4 Jul|
|Dragonkin Laboratory5 Jul|
|The Shadow Reef6 Jul|
|Temple of Aminishi7 Jul|
|Next: 1 day (wrong?)|
The three elite dungeons operate on a "Spotlight" system, similar to the minigame spotlight. Every day one of the dungeons is in the spotlight, which provides that dungeon with:
- an extra 25% Dungeoneering experience
- one additional miniboss spawn
- 20% reduction of death reclaim costs
The spotlight cycles through dungeons in their canonical order. The dungeon currently in the spotlight is indicated in the Grouping System selection interface.
Winter Weekends[edit | edit source]
During the Winter Weekends Elite Dungeons session, the dungeons are provided with the following bonuses:
- Doubled lore book drop rate from bosses
- 25% additional Slayer experience if applicable
- An additional ancient scale or draconic energy whenever the drop is rolled
- One free death per run in a manner similar to that of the soul phylactery, resetting at 00:00 UTC
Elite Dungeon Reward Shop[edit | edit source]
The Elite Dungeon Reward Shop is located south of Daemonheim near the Daemonheim Rewards shop, at the southern beach of Aminishi and near the entrance to the Dragonkin Laboratory. Bryll Thoksdottir sells general (elite) Dungeoneering related rewards as well as other useful items.
Items that do not degrade in elite dungeons[edit | edit source]
All tier 92 armour items do not degrade in an elite dungeon.
- Trimmed masterwork helm
- Custom-fit trimmed masterwork helm
- Custom-fit trimmed spiked masterwork helm
- Elite sirenic mask
- Elite tectonic mask
- Elite sirenic mask (Third Age)
- Elite sirenic mask (barrows)
- Elite sirenic mask (blood)
- Elite sirenic mask (ice)
- Elite sirenic mask (shadow)
- Elite tectonic mask (Third Age)
- Elite tectonic mask (barrows)
- Elite tectonic mask (blood)
- Elite tectonic mask (ice)
- Elite tectonic mask (shadow)
- Trimmed masterwork platebody
- Augmented Trimmed Masterwork Platebody
- Custom-fit trimmed masterwork platebody
- Augmented Custom-fit Trimmed Masterwork Platebody
- Custom-fit trimmed spiked masterwork platebody
- Augmented custom-fit trimmed spiked masterwork platebody
- Elite sirenic hauberk
- Augmented elite sirenic hauberk
- Elite tectonic robe top
- Augmented elite tectonic robe top
- Augmented elite sirenic hauberk (Third Age)
- Augmented elite sirenic hauberk (barrows)
- Augmented elite sirenic hauberk (blood)
- Augmented elite sirenic hauberk (ice)
- Augmented elite sirenic hauberk (shadow)
- Augmented elite tectonic robe top (Third Age)
- Augmented elite tectonic robe top (barrows)
- Augmented elite tectonic robe top (blood)
- Augmented elite tectonic robe top (ice)
- Augmented elite tectonic robe top (shadow)
- Elite sirenic hauberk (Third Age)
- Elite sirenic hauberk (barrows)
- Elite sirenic hauberk (blood)
- Elite sirenic hauberk (ice)
- Elite sirenic hauberk (shadow)
- Elite tectonic robe top (Third Age)
- Elite tectonic robe top (barrows)
- Elite tectonic robe top (blood)
- Elite tectonic robe top (ice)
- Elite tectonic robe top (shadow)
- Trimmed masterwork platelegs
- Augmented Trimmed Masterwork Platelegs
- Custom-fit trimmed masterwork platelegs
- Augmented Custom-fit Trimmed Masterwork Platelegs
- Custom-fit trimmed spiked masterwork platelegs
- Augmented custom-fit trimmed spiked masterwork platelegs
- Elite sirenic chaps
- Augmented elite sirenic chaps
- Elite tectonic robe bottom
- Augmented elite tectonic robe bottom
- Augmented elite sirenic chaps (Third Age)
- Augmented elite sirenic chaps (barrows)
- Augmented elite sirenic chaps (blood)
- Augmented elite sirenic chaps (ice)
- Augmented elite sirenic chaps (shadow)
- Augmented elite tectonic robe bottom (Third Age)
- Augmented elite tectonic robe bottom (barrows)
- Augmented elite tectonic robe bottom (blood)
- Augmented elite tectonic robe bottom (ice)
- Augmented elite tectonic robe bottom (shadow)
- Elite sirenic chaps (Third Age)
- Elite sirenic chaps (barrows)
- Elite sirenic chaps (blood)
- Elite sirenic chaps (ice)
- Elite sirenic chaps (shadow)
- Elite tectonic robe bottom (Third Age)
- Elite tectonic robe bottom (barrows)
- Elite tectonic robe bottom (blood)
- Elite tectonic robe bottom (ice)
- Elite tectonic robe bottom (shadow)
Achievements[edit | edit source]
|6||The Many Hands That Write||Yes||Collect the following lore books from bosses inside the Temple of Aminishi.||20|
|7||The Book of Elei||Yes||Collect all 22 pages of Elei's Diary in the Temple of Aminishi (X/22)[sic]||20|
|5||Aminishi? Completed it, mate.||Yes||Defeat every miniboss inside the Temple of Aminishi.||20|
|20||Oops! Wrong Cult!||Yes||Enter the Temple of Aminishi wearing H.A.M. clothing.||5|
|21||Died by the Blade!||Yes||Die by the blade!||20|
|8||I'll Pulverise You!||Yes||Use Pulverise on Masuta the Ascended at the same time he uses it.||20|
|9||Force of a Great Typhoon||Yes||Defeat Masuta the Ascended without any stacks of the calm waters effect.||30|
|10||Swift as the Coursing River||Yes||Defeat Masuta the Ascended with 65% of the calm water effect or more.||30|
|11||Strength of a Raging Fire||Yes||Defeat Masuta the Ascended with at least 7 thrashing waters still remaining.||50|
|12||Here Is My Handle||Yes||Defeat the Sanctum Guardian after being hit by her water spout 10 times.||20|
|13||Outflanked 'em in the Sanctum||Yes||Defeat the Sanctum Guardian without anyone taking any damage from her purple corruption.||30|
|14||Crassian en Masse||Yes||Defeat the Sanctum Guardian with exactly 10 crassians still alive when she dies.||30|
|15||Arc Reactor||Yes||Beat Seiryu without anyone taking damage from the shadow tendrils.||30|
|16||Malignant Enigmas||Yes||Kill 18 shadow enigmas in 6 seconds.||30|
|17||Bless You, Seiryu||Yes||Make Seiryu sneeze.||5|
|18||The Purple Dart||Yes||Defeat the Violet Lotus miniboss using elite death lotus darts.||10|
|19||What Does Monster Examine Say About His Combat Level?||Yes||Deal over 9000 damage to Goku the Unrelenting in one hit.||10|
|37||Chill Out, Bro!||Yes||Hit at least 4 magma golems at the same time with Tsunami.||10|
|31||Not a Moth||Yes||Defeat the Black Stone Dragon without taking damage from any shadow flames.||20|
|27||Broodmother||Yes||Defeat Verak Lith without anyone dispersing their damage into a pile of eggs.||30|
|25||We Will Fight in the Shade||Yes||Defeat Astellarn, with your entire group having taken less than 10,000 total damage from her solar storm throughout the fight.||10|
|39||Elder Souls||Yes||Defeat the Emberbound Soul while having the chronicle absorption curse active.||10|
|40||Ebony and Irony||Yes||Heal yourself using Resonance against Alanogard the Black while wielding a black dragonhide shield.||10|
|38||Spiderlogical Warfare||Yes||Defeat Spyndra with one of Araxxi's legs, eyes, fang or web in your inventory.||10|
|35||Smoulders and Skully||Yes||Kill Smoulders while wearing the demonic skull.||10|
|32||Four in Hand||Yes||Defeat all 4 black hands, within 10 seconds after defeating the first, during the Black Stone Dragon fight.||10|
|30||Shadow Wave||Yes||Wave goodbye to a black hand.||5|
|29||Get Back, Hand!||Yes||Use Forceful Backhand against a black hand during the Black Stone Dragon fight.||5|
|28||Dragonhide Infanticide||Yes||Defeat Verak Lith while ensuring every ricocheted attack is absorbed and dispersed into a pile of eggs.||20|
|26||A Quest for Understanding||Yes||Defeat Astellarn while at least two pulsars are still active.||20|
|34||You Won't Like Me When I'm Sangri||Yes||Kill Sangri the Red while under the effect of Berserk.||10|
|22||Elite Dungeons and Dragons||Yes||Defeat every miniboss inside the Dragonkin Laboratory.||20|
|36||Psychedelic Relics||Yes||Disassemble 5 rare relics from elite dungeons. (X/5)||10|
|3||Dragonkin Laboratory||Yes||Complete all of the listed achievements.||50|
|1||The Elite||Yes||Complete all of the listed achievements.||0|
|2||Temple of Aminishi||Yes||Complete all of the listed achievements.||50|
|24||Tactless Analysis||Yes||Collect all 22 pages of dragonkin research in the Dragonkin Laboratory. (X/22)||20|
|4||Shadow Reef||Yes||Complete all of the listed achievements.||50|
|41||Griefing the Reef||Yes||Defeat every miniboss inside the Shadow Reef.||20|
|42||Of Kraken Ink||Yes||Collect the following lore books from bosses inside the Shadow Reef.||20|
|44||Hail Hydra||Yes||Hit the Crassian Leviathan using Ice Barrage.||10|
|45||Hydra Halitosis||Yes||Defeat the Crassian Leviathan without ever being stunned.||5|
|46||Get Shredded||Yes||Defeat the Crassian Leviathan after taking at least 30,000 damage from its sweep attack.||10|
|47||Harassing the Crassian||Yes||Defeat the Crassian Leviathan after allowing it to fully regenerate from below half health.||20|
|48||Sinister Crystal||Yes||Defeat Taraket the Necromancer while the corpse carrier is still alive.||20|
|49||Dextrous Crystal||Yes||Defeat Taraket the Necromancer while the bloated monstrosity is still alive.||20|
|50||Tank and Spank||Yes||Defeat Taraket the Necromancer while both the bloated monstrosity and corpse carrier are still alive.||40|
|51||Unworthy Dead||Yes||Kill 15 summoned skeletons within 6 seconds during the encounter with Taraket the Necromancer.||20|
|52||Clenched||Yes||Defeat the Ambassador without destroying any sinister fragments.||50|
|53||Happy Trails||Yes||Defeat the Ambassador without anyone taking any damage from his purple corruption.||20|
|54||Instability Never Phased Me||Yes||Defeat the Ambassador after surviving explosions from 4 unstable black holes.||30|
|55||Crawfish Boil||Yes||Disintegrate 12 crassian ritual keepers simultaneously during the Ambassador encounter.||30|
|56||Island Getaway||Yes||Defeat Hanto while it is at least 4 tiles away from where it started.||5|
|57||Kraken the Whip||Yes||Hit Boggoth using a lava whip's special attack.||5|
|58||She Smells Sea Smells by the Sea Floor||Yes||Show Shrine Maiden Elei some sushi.||5|
|59||I've Got Your Face||Yes||Defeat Quetzathog while wearing a black mask.||5|
|60||Demon Duty||Yes||Defeat Yor'Ger the Deceiver while on a Kal'gerion demon slayer task.||5|
|61||I'm the Masuta Now||Yes||Defeat Masuta the Descended while wielding Masuta's warspear.||5|
|62||Monkey Sadness||Yes||Defeat Bossy McBossface's first mate.||5|
|63||The Black Stone Trilogy||Yes||Defeat Seiryu the Azure Serpent, the Black Stone Dragon and the Ambassador consecutively.||20|
|64||A Mini Shipment||Yes||Loot the trunk in the Temple of Aminishi.||5|
|43||Umbral Diplomacy||Yes||Collect all 22 pages of Umbral Diplomacy in the Shadow Reef (X/22)[sic]||20|
|23||Dragon Ink||Yes||Collect the following lore books from bosses inside the Dragonkin Laboratory.||20|
|33||Goopy Bloop Boop||Yes||Knockback a Laboratory Slime.||5|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 18 May 2020 (Update):
- Combat experience calculations in Elite Dungeons now award a ratio of experience relative to the damage dealt to the defeated NPC.
- patch 17 February 2020 (Update):
- Players can no longer receive the first two bosses from Elite Dungeons as Reaper assignments.
- patch 3 June 2019 (Update):
- A stockpiled message is no longer displayed if the Elite Dungeon chest hits the item limit when 2 or more items fill it.
- The message to say if a drop inside an Elite Dungeon was doubled is no longer filtered.
- update 28 May 2019 (Update):
- The ability to bank inside an elite dungeon and double drops without toggling has been added as a reward option for 750,000 tokens.
- Players can now teleport between Elite Dungeons using the chests outside each dungeon if they have completed the 'Impressing the Locals' quest.
- Combat dummies can be placed near and within the sight of an elite dungeon chest inside the dungeon.
- Completing an elite dungeon now counts towards the daily Dungeoneering challenge.
- Clearer message to denote if an item has been stockpiled in the elite dungeon chest.
- Players can now teleport to other elite dungeon entrances with the chest outside each dungeon.
- Lucky charms of one elite dungeon can be converted into a lucky charm of another elite dungeon.
- All shops have been merged together and can be accessed at any elite dungeon location.
- patch 15 April 2019 (Update):
- Added duo loot tables across all three elite dungeons.
- Buffed the loot slightly of the elite chest and added a 1/15 chance to receive an 'ultra' elite chest that contains addition loot.
- Buffed the base loot of Temple of Aminishi on trio mode.
- Buffed the based loot value of all bosses inside the Shadow Reef, most noticeably the Ambassador.
- Added several rare high value drops to the non boss creatures and lucky charm in the Shadow Reef.
- patch 8 April 2019 (Update):
- Players will no longer get ED1 spotlight effects occurring in other Elite Dungeons.
- update 25 February 2019 (Update):
- Boss timers added when starting a boss fight.
- New Elite Dungeon, The Shadow Reef is released.
- Elite dungeon final bosses can now be assigned without having to rely on Reaper's Choice perk.
- patch 25 February 2019 (Update):
- Fixed a potential crash in busy areas.
- Fixed a crash happening when recycling resources.
- Fixed a crash in Elite Dungeons when using the Java client.
- patch 28 August 2018 (Update):
- Teleporting with chests and through doors in elite dungeons no longer requires you to be out of combat.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ June - RuneScape's Month Ahead (2018). 2 June 2018.*
- ^ July - RuneScape's Month Ahead (2018). 29 June 2018.*
- ^ RuneScape Winter Reveals (RuneFest 2018). 6 October 2018.*
- ^ Jagex. Mod Chaose's Twitter account. 9 September 2018. Mod Chaose: "Full chests don't give the full 20% chance, by design. You need to intentionally toggle it off."
|Elite Dungeon Reward Shop|