This article is about the trees found around Gielinor. For the tree grown using the Farming skill, see Elder tree (Farming)
An elder tree is a high-levelled members-only tree that can be cut for elder logs at level 90 Woodcutting. When cutting, players will obtain 325 experience per log, which can be fletched into an elder shortbow at level 90 Fletching, or an elder shieldbow at level 95 Fletching. Elder logs may also be burned by players with level 90 Firemaking for 444.5 Firemaking experience each.
Elder trees function similarly to bloodwood trees in that they are instanced for the player's own use, rather than being shared across all players. Once the player begins chopping wood, a silent timer of five minutes will count down. Once this timer expires, the elder tree will lose its branches and must regrow. The tree will regrow its branches, but through in-game time (lobbying/logging will not restore them), ranging from 5–15 minutes.
The player's Woodcutting level, along with the hatchet used, can increase the rate in which elder logs are obtained. There is no minimum yield from chopping an elder tree, with averages ranging from 5-11 logs per tree, and rarer cases of 20 or higher.
The multichop special move of the beaver Summoning familiar does not work on elder trees, producing the game message: The elder tree is too tough for the beaver to chew through.
A dwarven chainaxe still functions as usual, providing either double resources or double experience.
Signs of the porter and juju woodcutting potions will transport elder logs to the bank for players who have those effects active. Decorated woodcutting urns do also get filled from chopping elder trees.
||East of the Sorcerer's Tower, or north-east of the Legends' Guild
||Fairy ring blr, Seers' Village lodestone, Ardougne Teleport, Ardougne lodestone, Ardougne cloak, Sixth-Age circuit, Cape of legends
||South of Yanille
||Yanille lodestone, Watchtower Teleport, House Teleport (if your house is in Yanille), Yanille tablet
||North-west of Tree Gnome Stronghold bank
||Due west of the spirit tree in the stronghold
(Eagle's Peak lodestone: Shortcut)
||South of Draynor Village bank
||Amulet of glory, fairy ring DIS, Draynor lodestone, Wicked hood
||North of Falador Farm, south-east of Falador.
||Cabbage-port using explorer's ring (3 or 4), Draynor lodestone, Falador Teleport
||South of Varrock, north of the Rat Pen, or west of East Varrock Mine. South of the Zamorak prayer altar.
||Varrock lodestone, Varrock Teleport, Archaeology journal
||Near magic trees, south-west of Lletya
||Crystal teleport seed, Tirannwn quiver, Tirannwn lodestone
||Piscatoris hunter area
||Phoenix lair teleport, fairy ring akq (then go south), Eagles' Peak lodestone, memory strand teleport (then north)
||South of Edgeville, near the Stronghold of Safety.
||Edgeville lodestone, Wilderness sword, amulet of glory, skull sceptre, Slayer cape
||Directly south of Melzar's Maze, or west of POH Portal in Rimmington
||Rimmington tablet, clan vexillum, House Teleport (if your house is in Rimmington), skills necklace, Port Sarim lodestone
At level 90 Farming, Elder saplings can be planted in the elder tree patch located in the Crwys Clan district of Prifddinas. The sapling takes at least 70 hours (just under 3 days) to fully grow. Sior will watch over an elder tree sapling, requesting a payment of 25 morchella mushrooms in return.
Chopping a log from an elder tree the player has grown in the Crwys district and fletching it into an elder shortbow is a requirement for completing one of the Tirannwn Tasks, "Respect your Elders".
- ^ Number of logs obtained per successful action.
- ^ Only rolled when successfully cutting a log while Sana's fyrtorch is used.
- Bird's nests have a chance of falling out of this tree.
At level 24 Hunter, wearing a strung rabbit foot gives a better chance of getting a drop.
At level 80 Woodcutting, wearing a tree-shaking scrimshaw will increase the chance by 300%.
At level 80 Woodcutting, wearing a superior tree-shaking scrimshaw will increase the chance by 400%.
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 16 September 2019 (Update):
- Dropping an object on the corner of the Crwys elder tree will no longer cause it to float.
- Fixed an issue that was preventing an Elder tree from being regrown with magic beans.
- patch 22 July 2019 (Update):
- Elder trees in the Prifddinas farming patch should no longer last mysteriously longer than 5 minutes while chopping.
- patch 31 July 2017 (Update):
- Elder trees will now fill farming urns.
- patch 10 November 2014 (Update):
- Elder trees are no longer grey in low-detail graphics modes.
- patch 1 November 2014 (Update):
- Elder tree textures have been adjusted to make the tree appear less pixelated.
- patch 17 December 2013 (Update):
- The Elder trees to south of Falador and near Edgeville have been added back into the game.
- patch 15 October 2013 (Update):
- A spelling mistake with elder trees has been corrected.
Official concept art of an elder tree.
- There are a number of Easter eggs related to the Elder tree. These include:
- Using compost on the tree gives the message "It's a nightmare to get out of the ground."
- Using blue flowers on the tree results in a message saying "Hmm, Elder Flowers."
- Using purple flowers on the tree results in a message saying "Mmm elderflowers."
- Using any type of Summoning scrolls on the tree results in a message saying "5 was the best.", a reference to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
- Using exactly 5 Summoning scrolls on the tree results in the message "I used to be a woodcutter like you, until I took an arrow in the knee.", another reference to Skyrim.
- Using an enchanted lyre on the tree results in the message "Respect your elders!"
- Using white berries on one results in "How cordial.".
- Using a ring of stone on a tree gives the message "I'd kiln for one of those".
- With the release of the trees, a blank white area appeared next to the Exiled Kalphite Hive, which contained many Elder trees, crystal trees, elder pyre logs and funeral pyres. This was used to test the new trees before release.
- The Elder tree north of the cabbage patch was removed on 11 December 2013 with the release of The Bird and the Beast before being added back six days later on 17 December 2013.
- With the release of elder trees, the elder evil tree had its Woodcutting and Firemaking level requirements increased to level 90 each from 85. This was to match the requirements for the normal version of elder trees.
- ^ Player must be logged in game.