The Elder Crown, also known as the Locator, the Crown of Saradomin or the Crown Archival, is an Elder God artefact that has the unique ability to enable its user to locate other Elder Artefacts anywhere in the Multiverse, but it also enables users of other Elder Artefacts to locate the crown and its user. This makes it both useful and, as most gods seem to want to collect Elder Artefacts, dangerous, similar to other Elder Artefacts. It was one of the earliest artefacts to be discarded by the Elder Gods, for they no longer saw the necessity in locating them.
The crown, through the ages, has been essentially used exclusively by Saradomin, one of the oldest of the young gods. It has been in his possession since even before the Naragi God Wars, which took place before the First Age of Gielinor. Because of the crown's unique ability, it seems to be of extreme importance to Saradomin. Since the crown can also be located and is very desired, Saradomin has had numerous conflicts with other deities in order to hold it.
With the crown, Saradomin hunts other artefacts, and he managed to steal the Stone of Jas from Zamorak just before the Gielinorian God Wars. When Zamorak returned from his banishment, having ascended to godhood, he attempted to reclaim the stone and declared war on Saradomin.
The crown is only able to locate the plane an artefact resides on, not the exact location.
History[edit | edit source]
Early history[edit | edit source]
The Locator's history is almost unknown, but it was one of the Elder artefacts that wasn't discarded on Gielinor. It was at some point eventually found and claimed by Saradomin who used it to ascend to godhood himself. It is later revealed that this was what Zaros had intended for, as Saradomin was a fairly formidable god, and by allowing him to retain possession of the Locator, would ensure that he would always know its current location throughout millenia.
Forceful requisition[edit | edit source]
During the Sixth Age, Zaros began to enact his plan with the Elder Gods. The Locator was one of the items he needed to do so, and he tasked Azzanadra and Trindine with reclaiming it from Saradomin. Although the two Mahjarrat confronted him during a commencement ceremony at the White Castle's courtyard, they were unable to complete the task. Zaros then teleported in and forcefully took it from Saradomin, seeing it as his by birthright.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The symbol in the middle of the crown is identical to Saradomin's symbol and it's likely that Saradomin adopted this symbol as his own, just like Armadyl's followers attributed the symbol on top of the Staff of Armadyl to him, and Bandos adopted the shape of the Kyzaj as his.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Saradomin, "The Death of Chivalry", RuneScape. "I wore the Elder Crown, and thought it granted me the right to rule."
- ^ TzHaar-Ga'al-Kot, "Azzanadra's Quest", RuneScape.
- Player: What's the Locator?
- TzHaar-Ga'al-Kot: Tool of the masters. Used to locate other tools.
- ^ Wizard Valina, "Azzanadra's Quest", RuneScape. "[...] Saradomin was a human before he discovered a powerful magical artefact, the Crown of Saradomin, which turned him into a god."
- ^ Mod Crow. "Campfire - Answers." 27 June 2013. General Forums.
- ^ Mod Osborne. "Lore Q&A with Mod Osborne." 18 March 2013. RuneScape Forums.
- ^ Jagex. Official lore livestream with Mod Osborne Official lore livestream, 2 August 2013.
- ^ Guthixian memory, "Tribute to Guthix", RuneScape. "One [artefact] was worn by Saradomin: the blue giant. It had drawn Tuska and Skargaroth to our...my world. The crown located other artefacts, but it would - in turn - attract those who kept them..."
- ^ Mod Emilee. "Game Update FAQ - 14/09/11." September 2011. Recent Game Updates Forums.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Osborne's Twitter account. 8 October 2013. (Archived from the original on 14 October 2013.) Mod Osborne: "As a note, the Crown can find a planet with elder artefacts on - that's its limit."