|Release date||14 September 2020 (Update)|
|Reset||1st of month at 00:00 UTC|
|Skills||Invention, Crafting, Runecrafting, Smithing|
|Infobox • Talk page|
The Effigy Incubator is a monthly D&D which was released on 14 September 2020 taking place in a secret lab on Anachronia. To access it, players need to complete the Sins of the Father miniquest. With the assistance of Vicendithas, players can use a variety of materials to create effigies, which they can then subsequently take along on their travels to fill with knowledge. Once filled, players can crack them open to reveal a reward depending on the type of effigy.
This D&D does not provide a chance to get skilling pets in either the active or inactive node state.
Getting started[edit | edit source]
Before you can get started, you'll need to have completed Desperate Measures and have at least Level 85 in either Invention, Crafting, Runecrafting or Smithing. Then speak with Mr Mordaut on Anachronia to begin a short miniquest to unlock Effigy Incubator.
To get to the D&D after the miniquest, go north out of the Anachronia base camp. Walk down the stairs, not the agility shortcut.
The D&D is within the large Dragonkin Statue to the north west - enter through the door.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
The D&D event allows a player to use the effigy incubator for 5 minutes each month. During these five minutes the materials for the effigies can be collected. The event is started by pulling the lever on the incubator. The effigies themselves can be created using kerapac's workbench at any time, provided the player has the necessary materials.
Calibrating the incubator[edit | edit source]
The calibration process can be done before starting the event. Talk to Vicendithas to set up the incubator. He will shout out which valves to turn: either yellow, orange, red or green. These valves are located near the incubator. After correctly turning three valves, the incubator is calibrated.
Gathering materials[edit | edit source]
Each effigy needs 20 materials of a certain type and an effigy casing.
- Enriched dragonflesh (Crafting) for volatile effigies
- Enriched anima nugget (Runecrafting) for erratic effigies
- Enriched scrap metal (Smithing) for explosive effigies
- Enriched nicknacks (Invention) for unstable effigies
- Effigy casing
Materials can be collected from hotspots. Gathering from these hotspots give a chance to spawn effigy remnants which give extra materials (two per collection instead of one). Gathering from effigy remnants may also occasionally produce an uncharged effigy of the corresponding type. If you leave the area before using the enriched materials, they will be lost, and incubator points will be awarded in exchange.
Effigy casings can be collected at the centre of the room. If you do not collect sufficient effigy casings during the allotted 5 minutes, you will not be able to collect them afterwards and thus you will NOT be able to convert your enriched materials into effigies.
Constructing effigies[edit | edit source]
- Volatile effigy (uncharged) (2,500 Crafting XP)
- Erratic effigy (uncharged) (2,500 Runecrafting XP)
- Explosive effigy (uncharged) (2,500 Smithing XP)
- Unstable effigy (uncharged) (2,500 Invention XP)
Powering effigies[edit | edit source]
Interact with the incubator hatch to put up to 15 uncharged effigies into the incubator. It will take a short time to charge them, so meanwhile one can go back to gather materials. When the effigies have been charged, they can be collected at Vicendithas. When collecting the powered effigies from the incubator, there is a chance to also receive a starved ancient effigy. If you leave the area before charging the uncharged effigies, they will be lost.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Before starting, have some empty inventory spaces; 13 should be fine. Pull the lever to start the game if you've already turned the valves.
Time remaining: 05:00 - 02:00
- Collect enriched materials from around the centre, and focus on one type of material
- Collect the randomly spawning material drops on the ground
- Collect from effigy remnants as they spawn to get materials much faster
- Aim for 160 of the same material if you got two effigy remnant spawns
- With no effigy remnants, you can only get around 100 materials in 3 minutes
Time remaining: 02:00 - ~00:50
- Collect effigy casings from the middle according to how many materials you obtained
- 160 materials requires 8 effigy casings (1 minute 15 seconds to gather)
- 100 materials requires 5 effigy casings (50 seconds to gather)
Time remaining: ~00:50 - 00:00
- Run to the workbench and construct your effigies (uncharged)
- 8 effigies takes 24 seconds to construct
- 5 effigies takes 15 seconds to construct
- Run to the incubator and deposit the completed effigies before time runs out so they get doubled. You can retrieve them after the time ends.
- Surge or Bladed Dive can help, especially at the start and end.
- It is possible to construct 9-12 effigy casings but any more than 9 is very difficult solo. You can siphon off other players' effigy remnant spawns.
- If doing the D&D twice with the use of a reset token, the first run can be spent solely for gathering materials and all of the effigies can be deposited at the end of the second run, as the leftover materials after the timer runs out are not taken away. Alternatively, depositing at the start of the second run is an option, as you are right next to the incubator.
Additional activities[edit | edit source]
On average 30 materials can be gathered per minute. Each minute the hot spots change into one of the four materials. This can be the same material as before, but the next time it will usually be different. Thus a hotspot will typically only hold one or two minutes of the same material before rotating. A hotspot can last longer than two minutes and remain unchanged for four or longer, but it is fairly rare.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
Shop[edit | edit source]
Incubator points are accumulated by handing in materials, and can be spent in The Effigy Incubator Reward Shop. A maximum of 10 effigies can be bought each month (in addition to any made during the activity) regardless of type. A monthly reset D&D token will not allow you to purchase more effigies from the shop.
Purchasing the effigy pets requires Effy to have been obtained.
Effigies[edit | edit source]
Effigy stars and lamps can only be used on the associated skills. There is a chance of an effigy lamp being upgraded to a dragonkin lamp, and effigy stars to a dragonkin star; dragonkin lamps and stars can be used on any skill and grant increased experience.
Up to 1000 of each effigy can be stored in a Brooch of the Gods.
|Explosive effigy||Cooking, Fishing, Mining, Woodcutting||Effigy star|
|Unstable effigy||Divination, Farming, Hunter, Runecrafting||Effigy star|
|Erratic effigy||Divination, Farming, Hunter, Runecrafting||Effigy lamp|
|Volatile effigy||Cooking, Fishing, Mining, Woodcutting||Effigy lamp|
Effigies from the incubator function similarly to urns:
- First they are crafted as (uncharged) effigies
- They are then put into the incubator and make (empty) effigies, which can be stored in a Brooch of the Gods
- Gaining experience in an associated skill activates it into an in-progress effigy
- After 60,000 experience is gained, the effigy becomes (full)
- Full effigies can be cracked open to get an effigy lamp or star that can be used on one of the associated skills, with a chance of being upgraded into a dragonkin lamp or star that can be used on any skill
- Effigies take priority over an urn for filling - only one can be filled at a time.
Comparison with Urns[edit | edit source]
In the experience it takes to fill an effigy (60,000 experience), the player could fill urns with an experience gain equivalent to 12,000 experience (15,000 experience if using an urn enhancer).
The following table shows the levels at which the player will benefit more from using the effigies rather than using urns.
for >=12k exp/bxp
(better than urns)
|Level required |
for >=15k exp/bxp
(better than urns with enhancer)
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Sins of the Father ( 10) – Complete this Novice miniquest.
- Cracking open a cold one ( 5) – Fill an effigy with knowledge then crack it open.
- Cracking open a four pack ( 10) – Fill and crack open at least one of each effigy.
- Effigy scavenger ( 10) – Hand in a total of 1000 effigy materials to Vicendithas.
- Following In The Footsteps ( 20) – Find out the outcome of the research continued by Vicendithas.
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 6 April 2021 (Update):
- Fixed an issue with the Effigy Incubator that was causing players to lose effigies.
- patch 28 September 2020 (Update):
- Ironmen will now gain Bonus XP from Effigy Incubator reward stars rather than Direct XP.
- Updated examine text for Effigy Incubator effigies to distinguish between those that give lamps and those that give stars.
- The Brooch of the Gods will now pull started effigies from your Bank when you have effigies of the same type in your Brooch or Backpack.
- Added a warning when teleporting out of an active Effigy Incubator session.
- Enhanced materials, effigy casings & unincubated effigies will now be traded to Vicendithas when leaving the area instead of being removed from players' Backpacks.
- A short delay has been added to the Sins of the Father miniquest to prevent players from clicking out of a dialogue box.
- patch 21 September 2020 (Update):
- You will now be given an example effigy during the Effigy Incubator tutorial so that it is less confusing when it is taken away.
- An issue that caused Effigy pets to show incorrect colours when textures were turned off has been resolved.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Mod Hooli. JagexHooli comments on This Week In RuneScape - 14/09/20. Reddit. 14 September 2020. (Archived from the original on 17 September 2020.) Mod Hooli: "The nodes do not provide a chance to find a Skilling Pet - whether the D&D is in an active state or not."
|Distraction and Diversions locations (Lite)|