|Release date||14 September 2020 (Update)|
|Reset||1st of month at 00:00 UTC|
|Skills||Invention, Crafting, Runecrafting, Smithing|
|This repeatable content has a hard reset.|
|The next period's content will become available immediately, regardless of whether a player has logged out.|
The Effigy Incubator is a monthly Distraction and Diversion located in a secret lab on Anachronia that can be played after completing the Sins of the Father quest. With the assistance of Vicendithas, players can use a variety of materials to create effigies, which they can then subsequently take along on their travels to fill with knowledge. Once filled, players can crack them open to reveal a reward depending on the type of effigy.
Getting started[edit | edit source]
To begin, head north out of the Anachronia base camp just west of the player lodge. Go down the stairs west of the agility shortcut, walk north past the jadinkos, and head up the staircase to the northwest. The Distraction and Diversion is located within the large dragonkin statue — enter through the door.
You will need at least level 85 in one of the involved skills (Crafting, Runecrafting, Smithing, or Invention) in order to both gather the respective resource, and to make the effigies.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
The Distraction and Diversion event allows a player to use the Effigy Incubator for five minutes each month. During these five minutes the materials for the effigies can be collected. The effigies themselves can be created using Kerapac's workbench at any time, provided the player has the necessary materials.
Calibrating the incubator[edit | edit source]
The calibration process can be done before starting the event. Talk to Vicendithas to set up the incubator. He will shout out which valves to turn: either yellow, orange, red, or green. These valves are located near the incubator. After correctly turning three valves, the incubator is calibrated.
If the activity is reset with a Distraction & Diversion reset token (monthly), it isn't necessary to re-calibrate the incubator.
Gathering materials[edit | edit source]
After the incubator has been calibrated, the encounter is started by pulling the lever on the incubator.
Each effigy requires 20 enriched materials of its corresponding type and one effigy casing in order to craft it.
- Enriched dragonflesh (Crafting) for volatile effigies
- Enriched anima nugget (Runecrafting) for erratic effigies
- Enriched scrap metal (Smithing) for explosive effigies
- Enriched nicknacks (Invention) for unstable effigies
- Effigy casing
Materials can be collected from various hotspots in the area. Level requirements cannot be boosted. There is a chance for an effigy remnant to spawn while gathering materials from hotspots, which provides materials at twice the normal rate. Gathering from effigy remnants may also produce one or several uncharged effigies of its corresponding type. If you leave the area before using the enriched materials, they will be lost, and incubator points will be awarded in exchange.
Effigy casings can be collected at the centre of the room. If you do not collect sufficient effigy casings during the allotted five minutes, you will not be able to collect them afterwards and thus you will not be able to convert your enriched materials into effigies.
Constructing effigies[edit | edit source]
- Volatile effigy (uncharged) (2,500 Crafting experience)
- Erratic effigy (uncharged) (2,500 Runecrafting experience)
- Explosive effigy (uncharged) (2,500 Smithing experience)
- Unstable effigy (uncharged) (2,500 Invention experience)
Powering effigies[edit | edit source]
Interact with the incubator hatch to put your uncharged effigies into the incubator. It will take a short time to charge them and you can leave the chat box open, meaning your timer will stop whilst the progress bar above Vicendithas increases, or you can go back to gather materials. When the effigies have been charged, they can be collected at Vicendithas. When collecting the powered effigies from the incubator, there is a chance to also receive a starved ancient effigy. If you leave the area before charging the uncharged effigies, they will be lost.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Before starting, have some empty inventory spaces; 13 should be fine. Pull the lever to start the game if you've already turned the valves.
Time remaining: 05:00–02:20
- Collect enriched materials from around the centre, and focus on one type of material
- Collect the randomly spawning material drops on the ground
- Collect from effigy remnants as they spawn to get materials much faster
- Aim for 200 of the same material if you get two effigy remnant spawns
- Aim for 180 if you only get one effigy remnant spawn
- With no effigy remnant, you can only get around 120 materials in three minutes
Time remaining: 02:20–~00:50
- Collect effigy casings from the middle according to how many materials you obtained
- 200 materials requires 10 effigy casings (1 minute 30 seconds to gather)
- 180 materials requires 9 effigy casings (1 minute 21 seconds to gather)
- 160 materials requires 8 effigy casings (1 minute 12 seconds to gather)
- 140 materials requires 7 effigy casings (1 minute 3 seconds to gather)
- 120 materials requires 6 effigy casings (54 seconds to gather)
Time remaining: ~00:50–00:00
- Run to the workbench and construct your effigies (uncharged)
- 10 effigies takes 30 seconds to construct
- 9 effigies takes 27 seconds to construct
- 8 effigies takes 24 seconds to construct
- 7 effigies takes 21 seconds to construct
- 6 effigies takes 18 seconds to construct
- Run to the incubator and deposit the completed effigies before time runs out so they get doubled. You can retrieve them after the time ends.
- Surge or Bladed Dive can help, especially at the start and end.
- It is possible to construct 12 effigy casings, but any more than 9 is difficult solo. Players can siphon off of other players' effigy remnant spawns.
- If doing the Distraction and Diversion with multiple players spawning effigy remnants, focus on one remnant at a time as its timer does not start counting down until interacted with.
- If doing the Distraction and Diversion twice with the use of a reset token, it is possible to construct effigies between the two runs, saving time.
- The first run can be spent solely on gathering materials. Effigies from the first run can be constructed after the timer expires but before the start of the second run, and all of the effigies can be deposited at the end of the second run.
- Alternatively, depositing at the start of the second run is an option, as the player is right next to the incubator, but the player will not be able to start running towards the gathering locations during the countdown timer.
- Having the Loot Menu open with area loot turned on will help to collect ejected materials in close proximity, or hidden ones beneath where the player is standing.
Additional activities[edit | edit source]
On average, 30 materials can be gathered per minute. Each minute the hotspots change into one of the four materials, or an empty spot. This can be the same material as before, but the next time it will usually be different. Thus, a hotspot will typically only hold one or two minutes of the same material before rotating. A hotspot can last longer than two minutes and remain unchanged for four or longer, but this is fairly rare. When the hotspot moves to a different location, the player stops collecting from it.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
Shop[edit | edit source]
Incubator points are accumulated by handing in materials, and can be spent in The Effigy Incubator Reward Shop. A maximum combined total of ten additional effigies of any type can be purchased each month in addition to any that are crafted during the activity. A monthly Distraction and Diversion reset token will not allow players to purchase more effigies from the shop.
Purchasing the effigy pets first requires Effy to have been obtained.
Effigies[edit | edit source]
Effigy lamps and stars will give experience and bonus experience, respectively, which may only be used on the associated skills (see table below). There is a chance (approximately 1 in 10) of an effigy lamp being upgraded to a dragonkin lamp, and effigy stars to a dragonkin star; dragonkin lamps and stars can be used on any skill and grant increased experience compared to the effigy versions.
The stars give the equivalent amount of bonus experience as the experience given by the lamps, with the experience varying based on the skill level.
Effigies take priority over an urn for filling—only one can be filled at a time. Up to 1,000 of each effigy can be stored in a Brooch of the Gods.
|Explosive effigy||Enriched scrap metal (Smithing)||Cooking, Fishing, Mining, Woodcutting||Effigy star|
|Unstable effigy||Enriched nicknacks (Invention)||Divination, Farming, Hunter, Runecrafting||Effigy star|
|Volatile effigy||Enriched dragonflesh (Crafting)||Cooking, Fishing, Mining, Woodcutting||Effigy lamp|
|Erratic effigy||Enriched anima nugget (Runecrafting)||Divination, Farming, Hunter, Runecrafting||Effigy lamp|
Effigies from the incubator function similarly to urns:
- First they are crafted as (uncharged) effigies
- They are then put into the incubator and make (empty) effigies, which can be stored in a Brooch of the Gods
- Gaining experience in an associated skill activates it into an in-progress effigy, with only one effigy being filled at a time
- After 60,000 experience is gained, the effigy becomes (full) and a new effigy may begin filling
Comparison with urns[edit | edit source]
In the experience it takes to fill an effigy (60,000 experience), the player could fill urns with an experience gain equivalent to 12,000 experience (15,000 experience if using an urn enhancer).
The following table shows the levels at which the player will benefit more from using the effigies rather than using urns.
for >=12k exp/bxp
(better than urns)
|Level required |
for >=15k exp/bxp
(better than urns with enhancer)
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Sins of the Father ( 0) – Complete this quest.
- Cracking Open A Cold One ( 5) – Fill an effigy with knowledge, then crack it open.
- Cracking Open A Four Pack ( 10) – Fill and crack open at least one of each effigy.
- Effigy Scavenger ( 10) – Hand in a total of 1,000 effigy materials to Vicendithas. (X/1,000)
- Following In The Footsteps ( 20) – Find out the outcome of the research continued by Vicendithas.
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Credits[edit | edit source]
|Art & Graphics|
|Environments||Mod Alex, Mod Blkwitch|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 17 April 2023 (Update):
- Added an alternative method to complete "Following In The Footsteps"
- patch 13 March 2023 (Update):
- Players will now be collecting multiple resources during the Effigy Incubator activity, both while collecting items by clicking on them or by using the looting interface.
- patch 9 May 2022 (Update):
- There is now clearer messaging given to players who haven't started Sins of the Father after completing Extinction when trying to enter the Effigy Incubator laboratory.
- patch 24 January 2022 (Update):
- Fixed a spelling error with remaining time during the Effigy Incubator D&D.
- patch 6 April 2021 (Update):
- Fixed an issue with the Effigy Incubator that was causing players to lose effigies.
- patch 28 September 2020 (Update):
- Ironmen will now gain Bonus XP from Effigy Incubator reward stars rather than Direct XP.
- Updated examine text for Effigy Incubator effigies to distinguish between those that give lamps and those that give stars.
- The Brooch of the Gods will now pull started effigies from your Bank when you have effigies of the same type in your Brooch or Backpack.
- Added a warning when teleporting out of an active Effigy Incubator session.
- Enhanced materials, effigy casings & unincubated effigies will now be traded to Vicendithas when leaving the area instead of being removed from players' Backpacks.
- A short delay has been added to the Sins of the Father miniquest to prevent players from clicking out of a dialogue box.
- patch 21 September 2020 (Update):
- You will now be given an example effigy during the Effigy Incubator tutorial so that it is less confusing when it is taken away.
- An issue that caused Effigy pets to show incorrect colours when textures were turned off has been resolved.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Mod Hooli. JagexHooli comments on This Week In RuneScape - 14/09/20. Reddit. 14 September 2020. (Archived from the original on 17 September 2020.) Mod Hooli: "The nodes do not provide a chance to find a Skilling Pet - whether the D&D is in an active state or not."
|Part 13 of The Elder God Wars quest series|
|Distraction and Diversions locations (Lite)|