Duke Horacio of Lumbridge is the ruler of the duchy of Lumbridge, including the town and surrounding areas. He is a vassal of King Roald Remanis III of Misthalin, whom he is a good friend of. He inherited the position of duke from his father, and is a descendent of Polonius, the original duke of Lumbridge. He has an aunt whom he apparently tries to avoid, sneaking out the back door when she visits for Christmas. He is a widower, his wife Oriana having died before they could have children. He lives on the 1st floor[UK]2nd floor[US] of Lumbridge Castle.
When he was young, he visited the island of Crandor, which was an important city-state at the time. Contact with the city was later lost when the dragon Elvarg awoke and destroyed the place, and the rulers on the mainland were scared that she would turn on them. Due to this, he remained in fear of her, terrified for any who would go and face her.
He maintains the castle with the aid of a cook and servant. He refuses to give them time off, as he considers them core staff. He also has an advisor, whom he knows to be a member of H.A.M. He also helps organise the Lumbridge Guardsmen, whom he consider to be an exemplary force. However, he does not use them as an offensive force unless if he is certain there is cause, often hiring adventurers to investigate possible causes. During the Zamorakian Insurrection of 165, he led his troops to aid King Roald at Silvarea, partaking in the Second Battle of the Salve.
He is a member of the Lumbridge Secret Council, a group who supposedly secretly run Gielinor, but in reality just have a meal and get nothing done. By sheer luck, he was absent from the meeting of Year 169 when the Culinaromancer was released, dealing with the Mysterious Old Man.
He often misunderstands things, such as mistaking fearful screams for screams of joy, and getting homonyms such as hair and heir confused. Despite this, he does what he can to improve the lives of Lumbridge's citizens, whether it be opening up emergency funding to rehome the displaced and increase security, or easing tensions by establishing diplomatic relations with neighbours. He considers Lumbridge to a open and welcoming place, despite the concerns of his staff.
During the annual beach party, he can show up and request a sand replica of Lumbridge Castle.
He keeps a supply of anti-dragon shields, which he only hands out to those attempting to slay truly powerful dragons. If asked for multiple shields, he makes comments about adventurers hoarding supplies. Once Elvarg has been slain, he hands them out to her killer without question.
When a tribe of Dorgeshuun cave goblins accidentally excavated into Lumbridge Castle cellar, they were seen. The witness went to the duke, but by the time they investigated, the goblins had covered their tracks, causing Horacio to doubt their word. After urging from his advisor Sigmund and an adventurer, he commissioned the adventurer to investigate the possibility of goblin invasion. The adventurer found a brooch, which he didn't recognise. When informed that the goblins did indeed exist, he put his men on alert, then threatened war after a set of silverware went missing. The adventurer proved that Sigmund was behind the theft in an attempt to provoke a war between Lumbridge and Dorgesh-Kaan, causing Horacio to dismiss Sigmund and seek a diplomatic treaty with Ur-tag, the leader of the Dorgeshuun. The tunnel was left open as a route between the two lands. However, he found the Dorgeshuun less than cooperative, due to them restricting access to their city. When the Dorgeshuun sent Zanik to the surface to investigate the H.A.M. group, Horacio greeted her warmly and advised her to be patient with the Dorgeshuun Council. He also reported an increase in H.A.M. membership but little activity. When Sigmund was killed by Zanik during an assault on his hideout, she severed his hand. The ring of life activated, teleporting the detached limb to Lumbridge, where Horacio found it.
The update history project
is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here
for how to help out!
- patch 13 January 2009 (Update):
- Duke Horacio will now only give you an air talisman during Rune Mysteries when you have inventory space.
- ^ a b c d e Jagex. Postbag 4 - "Transcript:Goblins, globes and golems!", Letter 3, by Duke Horacio. RuneScape Postbags from the Hedge.
- ^ Lumbridge Sage, RuneScape. "The town is governed by Duke Horacio, who is a good friend of our monarch, King Roald of Misthalin."
- ^ Jagex. Postbag 36 - "Transcript:I've got a Fiara in my heart for you.", Letter 2, by Duke Horacio. RuneScape Postbags from the Hedge.
- ^ Duke Horacio, "Dragon Slayer", RuneScape. "Back in my father's day, Crandor was an important city-state.[...]But, one day, when I was little, all contact was lost. The trading ships and the diplomatic envoys just stopped coming. I remember my father being very scared."
- ^ Duke Horacio, "Dragon Slayer", RuneScape. "Well, you're a braver man/woman than I![...]Take care out there. If you kill it... If you kill it, for Saradomin's sake make sure it's really dead!"
- ^ Cook, "Cook's Assistant", RuneScape. "That would be nice, but the Duke doesn't allow holidays for core staff."
- ^ Duke Horacio, "The Lost Tribe", RuneScape. "Don't lie to me! I knew you were a HAM member but I didn't think you would stoop to this."
- ^ Duke Horacio, "Battle of Lumbridge", RuneScape. "They did a fine job of protecting us and have been exemplary in their conduct. I am proud of them."
- ^ Duke Horacio, "The Lost Tribe", RuneScape. "I will not commit troops until I have proof that goblins are behind this. [Player], please find out what you can about this brooch."
- ^ Duke Horacio, "The Lost Tribe", RuneScape. "Hmm, perhaps you are right. I will send word to the army to prepare for an underground assault. [Player], I would still like you to find out more about this tribe. It cannot hurt to know one's enemy."
- ^ Gypsy Aris, "Recipe for Disaster: Another Cook's Quest", RuneScape. "They decided that every 10 years they would meet to discuss current events, and shape how the world might then develop.[...]For all of their grand schemes and ideas, nothing ever gets done except every ten years they have a bit of a posh meal together and a bit of gossip."
- ^ Duke Horacio, "Battle of Lumbridge", RuneScape. "I have officially unlocked the emergency treasury and plan to use it to address individual problems that come to my attention."
- ^ Duke Horacio, "The Lost Tribe", RuneScape. "This peace treaty specifies the border between Lumbridge and the Cave Goblin realm. Please take it to the cave goblins and tell them I would like to meet with their leader to sign it."
- ^ Duke Horacio, "Dragon Slayer", RuneScape. "I don't have an infinite supply of these shields, you know. I'll only give one for a truly worthy cause."
- ^ Duke Horacio, "Dragon Slayer", RuneScape. "What, another one? You adventurers do like to stockpile, don't you..."
- ^ Duke Horacio, "Dragon Slayer", RuneScape. "Of course. Now you've slain Elvarg, you've earned the right to it!"
- ^ Duke Horacio, "The Lost Tribe", RuneScape. "Yes, he mentioned that to me. But I think he was imagining things. Goblins live in natural caves but everyone knows they don't have the wit to make their own tunnels."
- ^ Duke Horacio, "Death to the Dorgeshuun", RuneScape. "Tell Ur-Tag that I wish to speak with him again. I think that our cities could profit from trading with one another, but there can be little trade if he does not allow visitors to enter the city."