The Dream World is the realm that players are required to go to in the quests Lunar Diplomacy, Dream Mentor and Blood Runs Deep. The only known means of access is through burning Soaked kindling or using a Potion of Shared Dreaming on the Ceremonial Brazier located on Lunar Isle, and reading about one's life from a lectern is the only known means of exiting from the dream. The history of the player is contained within the book My Life, which serves as an exit during Lunar Diplomacy. Similarly, during Blood Runs Deep, the player and Baba Yaga read Our Lives to escape from Silas's dream.
One popular hypothesis about the existence of the dream realm is that it doesn't actually exist at all, but is really a hallucination experienced as a result of inhaling the fumes released from burning soaked kindling. This theory is backed up by renowned scholar and librarian of the Library of Varrock Reldo, who discussed what he thought about Dream worlds and other similar planes of existence in Postbag from the Hedge 42. He stated that:
||I have heard of many other realms attached to our own but invisible to the uninitiated - lands of fairies, mists, shadows and even a dreamscape where your personal inadequacies are confronted - and I have little doubt that at least some of these are real. I imagine that the majority, however, are allegorical terms to explain some universal human concern, mythologised over the ages to help us understand them in terms we can appreciate.
|— Reldo, Varrock Librarian 
A player enters the Dream World.
Although, this hypothesis doesn't necessarily explain why you are able to die a real death in the dream world, or why real-world items can be brought into and out of it as well as be used (such as healing yourself with food that does not reappear due to everything not being real). It is possible that your death in the dream world is a metaphor for something going wrong in the dream process, and it is also possible that you are still able to use real items, even in your hallucinogenic state.
The following monsters are encountered in the Dream World
"Communicating with numbers" map
"Anything you can do..." map
"Chop, chop, chop away" map
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- patch 11 January 2010 (Update):
- The lunar dream world no longer interferes with pets and their growth status.
- The map of "A game of chance" resembles a die.
- The map of "Anything you can do..." resembles a quaver.
- The map of "The Race is On!" resembles an hourglass.
- The map of "Communicating with numbers" resembles a speech bubble.
- ^ Ethereal Man, "Lunar Diplomacy", RuneScape. "Just use this lectern – it's the book of your life, all that has been, all that is and blank pages for all that will be. In reading this you will return your mind to reality and the continuous world."
- ^ Baba Yaga, "Blood Runs Deep", RuneScape. "We're here to help you get away from here. Hurry, [Player's Fremennik Name], try the lectern."
- ^ Baba Yaga, "Blood Runs Deep", RuneScape. "You left the dream world without a lectern, and made me come back as well! In the dreams of a fragile mind we cause more harm than good if we don't follow the rules."
- ^ Jagex. Postbag 42 - "Transcript:A NOTE FROM YOUR MUM.", Letter 6, by Reldo. RuneScape Postbags from the Hedge.