The dragonkin have a language, of which little is known, as they speak in the common tongue most of the time. The only non-dragonkin known to understand some of the language are the Player character, Laniakea, the Kethsians and Robert the Strong, who wrote a book on the subject, an excerpt of which can be found below.
|“||The language of the Dragonkin is as blunt as they are. From what I can gather, the sentence structure is direct and simple. I believe it follows a structure like this:-
Subject - Adjective if required - Action modifier - Action - Object.
So sentences like 'Odysseus went for a brisk walk in the park' would become 'Odysseus brisk walk in park'.
It seems that they really don't like to mince words, which may explain why much of their written language is only a handful of short excerpts.
Additionally I have encountered a few references to dragons that seem to have almost been given titles. The format for these appears to be Colour-Dragon-Title/Descriptor.
|— Robert the Strong|
Dragonkin alphabet[edit | edit source]
The dragonkin alphabet is an alphabet consisting of 8 letters commonly used by the dragonkin at least until the destruction of Orthen, although it does not seem to be in common use today, as most recent dragonkin writings do not use it. Each symbol can represent three possible letters of the Latin alphabet, with the exception of the five vowels, which are represented by a single symbol. The alphabet is first encountered in the Desperate Measures quest.
|A, E, I, O and U|
|B, C and D|
|F, G and H|
|J, K and L|
|M, N and P|
|Q, R and S|
|T, V and W|
|X, Y and Z|
For a list of all the phrases that exist in-game written in dragonkin alphabet, see the related subpage.
Dragonkin words[edit | edit source]
Translated[edit | edit source]
Confirmed[edit | edit source]
- Arakken = Dungeon
- Bujahepen = Storeroom
- Castil = Combine
- Chen = Razed/Destroyed
- Crasortius = Surrender
- Draekeun/Drakeun = Dragon
- Drakkerkin = Dragonkin
- Fia = Safe/Protected from
- Gres = East
- Hesente = Intruder
- Kalistrak = Library
- Kath = Failure/Weakling/Runt
- Kletter = Green
- Kreath = Dark/Shadow/Black
- Lith = Superior
- Lokur = Steel
- Ortha = First
- Orthen = First city
- Pthen = Sorcery/Magic
- Pthentraken = Sorcery Queen/Queen of Magic
- Rak = To speak (in the sense of giving orders/command)/Above all
- Raksha = "The One Above All"/"The One Who Speaks"
- Rathis = Fireblood
- Roakin = Elder God(s)
- Saur = Lizard
- Sha = One/Singular
- Skek = Dead/Death
- Skek Pthen = Necromancy
- Skeka = Murderer/Killer/"Grandma Death" (personification of death itself)
- Skekslan = "The unbroken wheel"
- Slancras = Incubator
- Then = City
- Tho = South
- Traken = Queen
- Ulthven = Sunken
- Vek = Failure/Failed
- Verak = King/Emperor
- Vor = Pathetic
- Vorkath = Pathetic Failure
- Vosk = False User
"Vokun Vek" is a curse phrase said in anger, which invokes the name of the mythological dragonkin hero Vokun. Additionally, "Skethzzzzz" is the dragonkin equivalent of laughter or a snigger.
Place names[edit | edit source]
- Ullergrax = Forinthry/Wilderness
- Sketherin = Brimhaven
- aV'rok = Varrock
- Herethen = Taverley
- Istruthen = Lumbridge
- Saurthen = Xolo city
Theorised[edit | edit source]
- Chenrath = Incinerator
- Kalist = Research
- Lac = Hand
- Pthencaraun = Celestial
- Rath = Fire
- Slan = To be born/Hatch
- Takla = Stone
- This = Blood
- Vertentis = Discard/Leave
Untranslated[edit | edit source]
Although the direct translation of the words Skrael, Kalur and Rosli is not known, they seem to have a calendrical function, as seen in Forcae's journal.
Phrases[edit | edit source]
Fully Dragonkin[edit | edit source]
|Source||Original||Approximate partial translation|
|The unnamed Dragonkin from A Tail of Two Cats||Hesente! Crasortius!||Intruder! Surrender!|
|Dragonkin Primer||Kletter Draekeun dosk Arakken Ullergrax.||Green Dragon dosk Dungeon Forinthry.|
|Forinthry Dungeon||Kletter Draekeun tescan Kath. Draekeun Castil Lokur kel Draekeun. Drakkerkin dosk Tho Arakken Sketherin.||Green Dragon tescan Weakling. Dragon Combine Steel kel Dragon. Dragonkin dosk South Dungeon Brimhaven.|
|Brimhaven Dungeon||Ortha Draekeun Hok Kreath Draekeun Traken. Kreath Draekeun Traken Ortha Lith Kerapac reageth carratas. Drakkerkin dosk Ven Arakken.||First Dragon Hok Black Dragon Queen. Black Dragon Queen First Superior Kerapac reageth carratas. Dragonkin dosk Ven Dungeon.|
|Mysterious statue during One of a Kind||Drakkerkin Kren Volat Roake Falkar||Dragonkin Kren Volat Roake Falkar|
|Kerapac summoning protoplasmic wisps during One of a Kind||Drakkerkin Roake Pthen Tesska Askanth Kuln||Dragonkin Roake Magic Tesska Askanth Kuln|
|Kerapac sending the player into a magical construct that represents the curse during One of a Kind||Drakkerkin Roake Pthen Kalgat Askanth Kuln||Dragonkin Roake Magic Kalgat Askanth Kuln|
|King Black Dragon during One of a Kind||Arakken Kos Roake Pthen Deskar||Dungeon Kos Roake Magic Deskar|
|Adamant dragon dungeon||Draekeun Castil Lokur. Vek. Kerapac Vertentis Draekeun Lokur. Vek. Forcae Kalist. Forcae Lith Kalist. Forcae Lith Verak!||Dragon Combine Steel. Failure. Kerapac Discard Dragon Steel. Failure. Forcae Research. Forcae Superior Research. Forcae Superior King!|
|Mount Firewake||Drakkerkin Kethsi Chen. Kethsi Vek. Kalist Fia Necrosyrtes. Lith Roake Pthen Kethsi. Askanth Kuln Kethsi. Kalist Lith. Kerapac Vek.||Dragonkin Kethsi Destroyed. Kethsi Failure. Research Safe Necrosyrtes. Superior Roake Magic Kethsi. Askanth Kuln Kethsi. Research Superior. Kerapac Failure.|
|Mural (Ulthven Kreath)||Kranon Cras Roake Pthen||Kranon Cras Roake Magic|
|Mural (Ulthven Kreath)||Kreath Lac Roakin... Drakkerkin Skek...||Black Hands Elder God... Dragonkin Dead...|
|Mural (Ulthven Kreath)||Skekkin Kath Rath! Kranon Roakin Rak||Skekkin Weakling Fire! Kranon Elder God Speaker (Ambassador?)|
|Mural (Ulthven Kreath)||Vek... Skek... Chen... Ulthven... Fia...||Failure... Dead... Destroyed... Sunken... Safe...|
|Treasure chest (Dragonkin Laboratory)||Kalist Kirah||Research Kirah|
|Treasure chest (Dragonkin Laboratory)||Kalist Kiket Fia||Research Kiket Safe|
|Treasure chest (Dragonkin Laboratory)||Kalist Kiket Kreath||Research Kiket Black|
|Taraket destroying crystallised black stone||Skek roake pthen. Skek verak Taraket. Lith skek takken MOTT!||Dead roake magic. Dead king Taraket. Superior dead takken MOTT!|
|Taraket summoning a rift of undeath||SKEK TAKKEN MOTT!||DEAD TAKKEN MOTT!|
|Kranon greeting the player and in The Last Offering||Castil Kreath Fia Roake Kal. Skek Lac Ortius.||Combine Black Safe Roake Kal. Dead Hand Ortius.|
|Kerapac during Desperate Times||GATTARIK VEK! VOKUN VEK! HAK HAK GELIK!||GATTARIK FAILURE! VOKUN FAILURE! HAK HAK GELIK!|
|Vashara during Desperate Measures||Hepencaraun!||Hepencaraun!|
|Maragan and Daraval during Desperate Measures||Hesente!||Intruder!|
|Next of Kin||Hep! Kal! Ort! Sha Cra Lith Kab Nos Kay Mok||Hep! Kal! Ort! One Cra Superior Kab Nos Kay Mok|
|Ancient writings found during Dead and Buried||Draekeun Vorkath Skek Pthen||Dragon Vorkath (Pathetic Failure) Necromancy|
Partially Dragonkin[edit | edit source]
|Source||Phrase||Approximate partial translation|
|Strisath during One of a Kind||Sokun-Kerapac! Release me now!||Sokun-Kerapac! Release me now!|
|Kerapac during One of a Kind||The curse that my kind suffers is like a chain that connects us to the Stone of Jas and also to the Vosk... Sorry. The 'False Users'.||The curse that my kind suffers is like a chain that connects us to the Stone of Jas and also to the False Users... Sorry. The 'False Users'.|
|Mural (Ulthven Kreath)||There's a name mentioned: Kranon. However, it's crossed out and surrounded by multiple crude carvings of the dragonkin word 'Vek'.||There's a name mentioned: Kranon. However, it's crossed out and surrounded by multiple crude carvings of the dragonkin word 'Failure'.|
|Redacted Dragonkin Research||
|Astellarn||Drakkerkin? You dare return?!||Dragonkin? You dare return?!|
|The Last Offering||You belong to Ulthven Kreath.||You belong to Ulthven Kreath (Sunken Black).|
|Kranon||I see you've learned combat techniques from our Laboratory in Ullergrax. Vor...||I see you've learned combat techniques from our Laboratory in Forinthry. Pathetic...|
|Kerapac during Desperate Times||I intend to put a stop to this madness. To save my people, once and for all. So that never again may we be choked by the shackles of the Roakin.||I intend to put a stop to this madness. To save my people, once and for all. So that never again may we be choked by the shackles of the Elder Gods.|
|Salabok during Desperate Measures||Why stuck with Vashara? Vek.||Why stuck with Vashara? Failure.|
|Vashara during Desperate Measures||Why stuck with Salabok? Vek!||Why stuck with Salabok? Failure!|
|Maragan during Desperate Measures||Perhaps we have slept too long, Daraval. Very well, vekkin. You saw in our dream here Kerapac's intent for his device. Then, let me share with you the direct result of his actions!||Perhaps we have slept too long, Daraval. Very well, vekkin. You saw in our dream here Kerapac's intent for his device. Then, let me share with you the direct result of his actions!|
|Kerapac during Desperate Measures||We have pleaded with the roakin. We have begged them. We have worshipped them. We have fought for them, died for them. We have done everything to placate them.||We have pleaded with the Elder Gods. We have begged them. We have worshipped them. We have fought for them, died for them. We have done everything to placate them.|
|Pain! It! Black!||There are other beings out there. Equals of the roakin. Betters. I will find them and implore for them to free us!||There are other beings out there. Equals of the Elder Gods. Betters. I will find them and implore for them to free us!|
|Raksha Observations||This place has grown considerably since its first construction, to allow for installation of hibernation pods and this Kalistrak for monitoring.||This place has grown considerably since its first construction, to allow for installation of hibernation pods and this Library for monitoring.|
|Naressa's journal||Of course this would happen. As powerful as we may think we are, we were never a match for a Roakin. The other creeds were foolish to think otherwise, yet, I wonder what became of them. Are they still out there? Can we be saved, or are we doomed to this curse for eternity? It could be said that we were the bigger fools in the end, to have our own technology used against us. Vek.||Of course this would happen. As powerful as we may think we are, we were never a match for a(n) Elder God. The other creeds were foolish to think otherwise, yet, I wonder what became of them. Are they still out there? Can we be saved, or are we doomed to this curse for eternity? It could be said that we were the bigger fools in the end, to have our own technology used against us. Failures.|
|Naressa during Twilight of the Gods||By the Roakin! Yakla? What have you done to yourself?||By the Elder Gods! Yakla? What have you done to yourself?|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Laniakea observes several dragonkin words in the southern dragonkin ruin on Anachronia, including 'locked', 'sacrifice', 'loss' and 'unity'. However the original inscription, and the original words, are unreadable by the player.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Dragonkin Primer, RuneScape. "Arakken = Dungeon?"
- ^ Mod Alex's artwork reveals the name of the lab's chambers. The Bujahepen chamber is referred to as the "storeroom".
- ^ Dragonkin Primer, RuneScape. "Castil = Combine"
- ^ Dragonkin Primer, RuneScape. "Chen = Razed/Destroyed"
- ^ a b c Mod Slayer. "One of a Kind FAQ." 13 March 2014. Recent Game Updates Forums.
- ^ Dragonkin Primer, RuneScape. "Draekeun = Dragon"
- ^ Dragonkin Primer, RuneScape. "Drakkerkin = Dragonkin"
- ^ Dragonkin Primer, RuneScape. "Fia = Safe/Protected from"
- ^ Dragonkin statue (Anachronia), RuneScape. "There is an inscription at the base of the statue written in the dragonkin language. You make out the word Fia, which means 'Safe'."
- ^ Dragonkin Primer, RuneScape. "Gres = East"
- ^ Mod Alex's artwork reveals the name of the lab's chambers. The Kalistrak is referred to as the "library".
- ^ Dragonkin Primer, RuneScape. "Kath = Failure/Weakling/Runt?"
- ^ Dragonkin Primer, RuneScape. "Kletter = Green"
- ^ Dragonkin Primer, RuneScape. "Kreath = Dark/Shadow/Black?"
- ^ Dragonkin Primer, RuneScape. "Lith = Superior"
- ^ Dragonkin Primer, RuneScape. "Lokur = Steel"
- ^ Dragonkin Primer, RuneScape. "Ortha = First"
- ^ Charos, "Desperate Times", RuneScape. "It means 'first city' I believe."
- ^ Dragonkin statue (Anachronia), RuneScape. "There is an inscription at the base of the statue written in the dragonkin language. You make out the word 'Orthen' which you believe to mean 'first city'."
- ^ a b c Pthentraken is a compound word meaning "Sorcery Queen"/"Queen of Magic". Since it has been confirmed that "pthen" stands for "Sorcery"/"Magic", and 'traken' is used for the Queen Black Dragon (Kreath Draekeun Traken), it follows that "traken" means "Queen". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_w5PV1XgQc 30:55
- ^ a b c "Dead and Buried", RuneScape. "Your mind's eye strains to read the dreamy dragonkin symbols. You are only able to make out a few words, but they make more sense as you contemplate them. Draekeun Vorkath Skek Pthen... Dragon Vorkath Death Sorcery... Dragon Vorkath Necromancy"
- ^ a b Rumours of the Raksha, RuneScape. "They call it Raksha - taken from the name of a fallen entity among some of my people's older mythologies - 'The One Above all' or 'The One That Speaks' in our modern vernacular."
- ^ a b Mod Rowley. Runescape Official YouTube Channel. 28 November 2020. "And sha is... Is a word we haven't previously put in the game, but from the transliteration of the name, you could guess that is "one" or "singular", something along those lines."*
- ^ a b c Rathis is a compound word meaning Fireblood and "rath" has previously been brought up in the context of fire (Chenrath), we can deduce that the remaining part of the word means "blood". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_w5PV1XgQc 30:25
- ^ Kerapac's tablet, RuneScape. "Four roakin brought this pain-filled universe into existence, and four roakin names will send it into an entropic state - its beginning and its end."
- ^ Kerapac, "Desperate Measures", RuneScape. "We have pleaded with the roakin. We have begged them. We have worshipped them. We have fought for them, died for them. We have done everything to placate them. [...] The elder gods don't care. The elder gods will never care."
- ^ a b c One... Voice..., RuneScape. "We... Build... City... Saurthen... Lizard... City..."
- ^ Dragonkin research, RuneScape. "Kranon, the fool. All of them are fools. Now they are skek. S K E K. Dead, dead, all but Kranon."
- ^ Mod Rowley. Discord comment. Discord. 6 August 2021. "The dragonkin quite possible already had a 'Death', or at least the concept of such an entity, in the form of Skeka (NOT the dragonkin named in the Orthen lore pages, that was just a nickname others had given her - 'Skeka', akin to something like Grandma Death, murderer, killer)."*
- ^ Ethical Concerns, RuneScape. "'Skeka' is what they call me. Depending on who utters it, they either simply mean to call me 'killer', or they inject the sing-song intonation used when naming the personification of death itself."
- ^ Higher States, RuneScape. "We kin believe in Skekslan, the unbroken wheel"
- ^ Mod Alex's artwork reveals the name of the lab's chambers. The Slancras chamber is referred to as the "incubator chamber".
- ^ Based on the known meaning of Orthen (First city), which appears to be a portmanteau of the Dragonkin word Ortha (first) and the suffix "Then" that also appears in the Dragonkin words Herethen (Taverley), Istruthen (Lumbridge) and Saurthen (Xolo City), it can be deduced that Then means "city" in Dragonkin.
- ^ Dragonkin Primer, RuneScape. "Tho = South"
- ^ Dragonkin research, RuneScape. "The sunken black. Ulthven Kreath."
- ^ Dragonkin Primer, RuneScape. "Vek = Failure"
- ^ Dragonkin Primer, RuneScape. "Verak = King/Emperor?"
- ^ a b Old notes (Dragon Slayer II) (Old School RuneScape), RuneScape. "It was another vorkath, a pathetic failure."
- ^ Kerapac, "One of a Kind", RuneScape. "The curse that my kind suffers is like a chain that connects us to the Stone of Jas and also the Vosk... Sorry. The 'False Users'."
- ^ Forcae's journal, RuneScape. "They were arrogant Vosk. They felt they could use the power of the Stone."
- ^ Mod Raven. Runescape Official Discord. 12 July 2019. "The intention was, if I recall correctly, that it's a sort of curse phrase. Sort of like "For Pete's sake". Vokun is a mythological character if I remember my story correctly, so it's effectively referencing a shared dragonkin culture as a curse phrase."*
- ^ Dragonkin statue (Anachronia), RuneScape. "There is an inscription at the base of the statue written in the dragonkin language. The plaque has been scrawled over, ending with 'Skethzzzzz'. Perhaps this is some kind of dragonkin joke?"
- ^ Dragonkin Primer, RuneScape. "Ullergrax = Forinthry/Wilderness"
- ^ Dragonkin Primer, RuneScape. "Sketherin = Brimhaven"
- ^ Dragonkin Primer, RuneScape. "aV'rok = Varrock"
- ^ Dragonkin Primer, RuneScape. "Herethen = Taverley"
- ^ Dragonkin Primer, RuneScape. "Istruthen = Lumbridge"
- ^ Kerapac's tablet, RuneScape. "[...] I was able to construct a Chenrath within the laboratory by tapping into the volcano's magma reserves. I can use this for all wastage without attracting undue attention from outside." Based on the known meaning of Chen (razed/destroyed) and Rath (fire), it can be deduced that chenrath means something approximating an incinerator.
- ^ Kalistrak is a compound word formed from the words Kalist and Rak. Rak means "above all". Given the context in which it is often used, it can be deduced that Kalist means research and that the Kalistrak (Library) is the place where the most important research is stored.
- ^ The phrase "Kreath Lac Roakin", which is translated as "Black lac Elder God" is used in a mural to represent black hands (who are assumed to be Xau-Tak) dragging away Kranon. Therefore, it is understood that the phrase should be interpreted as "Black Hands Elder God".
- ^ Dragonkin research, RuneScape. "[...] Giving it the dimension-warping abilities we need to study is making it more aware of itself, and its power puts it in a state of confusion. [...] We have, together, dubbed them 'pthencaraun draekun'." Based on the mention of dimension-warping abilities and confusion we can deduce this passage is talking about Astellarn. Given that Astellarn is the first celestial dragon, we can deduce that pthencaraun draekun refers to celestial dragons.
- ^ The appearance of the word as part of "Slancras" (incubator), and within "Skekslan", the cycle of reincarnation in which the Dragonkin believed, suggests that the word indicates the act of being born. If so, Skekslan could be literally translated as "death birth".
- ^ Dragonkin research, RuneScape. "My kreath takla draekun isn't behaving as before." Based on the context and other known words, kreath takla draekun means black takla dragon. From there it can be deduced that the text is referring to the black stone dragon, located in the Dragonkin Laboratory, where these pages are found.
- ^ Kerapac's tablet, RuneScape. "[...] I have installed a kreath takla drakeun, sister to the one abandoned beneath Ullergrax." Kerapac is referring to the black stone dragon encountered during Desperate Measures, which is the sister of the black stone dragon located in the Dragonkin Laboratory.
- ^ The phrase "Kerapac Vertentis Draekeun Lokur. Vek." translates as "Kerapac Vertentis Dragon Steel. Failure.", which seem to reference the events decribed in Forcae's journal: "Kerapac is a fool! He has discarded the metallic dragons as though they were a failure". On the other hand, Phalaks mentions the phrase "VERTENTIS! I'm leaving, Kerapac", in which Vertentis seems to be a direct translation of "I'm leaving".