The dragonkin have a language, of which little is known, as they speak in the common tongue most of the time. The only non-dragonkin known to understand some of the language are the Player character, Laniakea, the Kethsians and Robert the Strong, who wrote a book on the subject, an excerpt of which can be found below.
|“||The language of the Dragonkin is as blunt as they are. From what I can gather, the sentence structure is direct and simple. I believe it follows a structure like this:-
Subject - Adjective if required - Action modifier - Action - Object.
So sentences like 'Odysseus went for a brisk walk in the park' would become 'Odysseus brisk walk in park'.
It seems that they really don't like to mince words, which may explain why much of their written language is only a handful of short excerpts.
Additionally I have encountered a few references to dragons that seem to have almost been given titles. The format for these appears to be Colour-Dragon-Title/Descriptor.
|— Robert the Strong|
Dragonkin Alphabet[edit | edit source]
In the quest Desperate Measures, the Dragonkin alphabet is used in location names and a puzzle. From this, the Dragonkin alphabet can be extrapolated.
Dragonkin Words[edit | edit source]
Translated[edit | edit source]
- Arakken = Dungeon
- Castil = Combine
- Chen = Razed/Destroyed
- Chenrath = Incinerator
- Crasortius = Surrender
- Draekeun = Dragon
- Drakkerkin = Dragonkin
- Fia = Safe/Protected from
- Gres = East
- Hesente = Intruder
- Kath = Failure/Weakling/Runt
- Kletter = Green
- Kreath = Dark/Shadow/Black
- Lith = Superior
- Lokur = Steel
- Ortha = First
- Orthen = First city
- Pthen = Sorcery/Magic
- Pthencaraun = Celestial
- Pthentraken = Sorcery Queen/Queen of Magic
- Rak = To speak (in the sense of giving orders/command)/Above all
- Raksha = 'The One Above All'/'The One Who Speaks'
- Rath = Fire
- Rathis = Fireblood
- Roakin = Elder Gods
- Saur = Lizard
- Sha = One/Singular
- Skek = Dead
- Takla = Stone
- Tho = South
- Then = City
- Traken = Queen
- Ulthven = Sunken
- Vek = Failure/Failed
- Verak = King/Emperor?
- Vor = Pathetic
- Vosk = False User
Additionally, "Skethzzzzz" is the dragonkin equivalent of laughter or a snigger.
Place names[edit | edit source]
- Ullergrax = Forinthry/Wilderness
- Sketherin = Brimhaven
- aV'rok = Varrock
- Herethen = Taverley
- Istruthen = Lumbridge
- Saurthen = Xolo city
Untranslated[edit | edit source]
Phrases[edit | edit source]
Fully Dragonkin[edit | edit source]
|Dragonkin Primer||Kletter Draekeun dosk Arakken Ullergrax.||Green Dragon dosk Dungeon Forinthry.|
|Forinthry Dungeon||Kletter Draekeun tescan Kath. Draekeun castil Lokur kel Draekeun. Drakkerkin dosk Tho Arakken Sketherin.||Green Dragon tescan Runt. Dragon combine Steel kel Dragon. Dragonkin dosk South Dungeon Brimhaven.|
|Brimhaven Dungeon||Ortha Draekeun Hok Kreath Draekeun Traken. Kreath Draekeun Traken Ortha lith Kerapac reageth Carratas. Drakkergin dosk Ven Arakken.||First Dragon Hok Black Dragon Queen. Black Dragon Queen First superior Kerapac reageth Carratas. Dragonkin dosk Ven Dungeon.|
|Mysterious statue during One of a Kind||Drakkerkin Kren Volat Roake Falkar||Dragonkin Kren Volat Roake Falkar|
|Kerapac summoning protoplasmic wisps during One of a Kind||Drakkerkin Roake Pthen Tesska Askanth Kuln||Dragonkin Roake Magic Tesska Askanth Kuln|
|Kerapac sending the player into a magical construct that represents the curse during One of a Kind||Drakkerkin Roake Pthen Kalgat Askanth Kuln||Dragonkin Roake Magic Kalgat Askanth Kuln|
|King Black Dragon during One of a Kind||Arakken Kos Roake Pthen Deskar||Dungeon Kos Roake Magic Deskar|
|Adamant dragon dungeon||Draekeun Castil Lokur. Vek. Kerapac Vertentis Draekeun Lokur. Vek. Forcae Kalist. Forcae Lith Kalist. Forcae Lith Verak!||Dragon combine steel. Failure. Kerapac Vertentis Dragon Steel. Failure. Forcae Kalist. Forcae superior Kalist. Forcae supreme Emperor!|
|Mount Firewake||Drakkerkin Kethsi Chen. Kethsi Vek. Kalist Fia Necrosyrtes. Lith Roake Pthen Kethsi. Askanth Kuln Kethsi. Kalist Lith.||Dragonkin Destroyed Kethsi. Kethsi failed. Kalist safe from Necrosyrtes. Superior Roake Magic Kethsi. Askanth Kuln Kethsi. Kalist superior.|
|Ulthven Kreath Mural||Kranon Cras Roake Pthen.||Kranon Cras Roake Magic.|
|Ulthven Kreath Mural||Kreath lac Roakin... Drakkerkin Skek...||Dark lac Elder Gods... Dragonkin Dead...|
|Ulthven Kreath Mural||Skekkin Kath Rath! Kranon Roakin Rak||Dead-kin Weakling Fire! Kranon Elder Gods Speak|
|Ulthven Kreath Mural||Vek... Skek... Chen... Ulthven... Fia...||Failure... Dead... Destroyed... Sunken... Safe...|
|Taraket destroying crystallised black stone||Skek roake pthen. Skek verak Taraket. Lith skek takken mott!||Dead roake magic. Dead king Taraket. Superior dead takken mott!|
|Taraket summoning a rift of undeath||Skek takken mott!||Dead takken mott!|
|Kranon greeting the player and in The Last Offering||Castil kreath fia Roake Kal. Skek Lac Ortius.||Combine black safe Roake Kal. Dead Lac Ortius|
|Kerapac during Desperate Times||GATTARIK VEK! VOKUN VEK! HAK HAK GELIK!||GATTARIK FAILURE! VOKUN FAILURE! HAK HAK GELIK!|
|Kranon's poem found in Next of Kin||Hep! Kal! Ort! Sha Cra Lith Kab Nos Kay Mok||Hep! Kal! Ort! One Cra Superior Kab Nos Kay Mok|
Partially Dragonkin[edit | edit source]
|Strisath during One of a Kind||Sokun-Kerapac! Release me now!||Sokun-Kerapac! Release me now!|
|Kerapac during One of a Kind||The curse that my kind suffers is like a chain that connects us to the Stone of Jas and also to the Vosk...Sorry. The 'False Users'.||N/A|
|Dragonkin research||VEK. VEK. VEK. Kranon, the fool. All of them are fools. Now they are skek. SKEK. Dead, dead, all but Kranon. SKEKKIN! Leave it to me to break the curse. Don't fail and give me more to deal with.||FAILURE. FAILURE. FAILURE. Kranon, the fool. All of them are fools. Now they are dead. DEAD. Dead, dead, all but Kranon. DEAD-KIN! Leave it to me to break the curse. Don't fail and give me more to deal with.|
|Dragonkin research||Skekkin Kranon is the rak to it. Roake rak. Phalaks will aid me. The boy will come too. Chen on Kranon. Rath on Kranon. We'll seal him, or destroy him. And the roake. More draekeun for this purpose. We'll start prototyping soon, discard veks, try more, discard the veks. VEK KRANON!||Dead-kin Kranon is the speaker to it. Roake speak. Phalaks will aid me. The boy will come too. Destruction(?) on Kranon. Fire on Kranon. We'll seal him, or destroy him. And the roake. More dragons for this purpose. We'll start prototyping soon, discard failures, try more, discard the failures. FAILURE KRANON!|
|Dragonkin research||The shipment of kreath takla has arrived||The shipment of black stone has arrived.|
|Dragonkin research||The sunken black. Ulthven Kreath. For now my priorities have reverted back to this roake curse.||The sunken black. The sunken black. For now, my priorities have reverted back to this roake curse.|
|Kranon||I see you've learned combat techniques from our Laboratory in Ullergrax. Vor...||I see you've learned combat techniques from our Laboratory in Forinthry. Pathetic...|
|Kerapac||I intend to put a stop to this madness. To save my people, once and for all. So that never again may we be choked by the shackles of the Roakin.||I intend to put a stop to this madness. To save my people, once and for all. So that never again may we be choked by the shackles of the Elder Gods.|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- "Vokun Vek," a phrase said in anger, invokes the name of the mythological dragonkin hero Vokun.
- Laniakea observes several dragonkin words in the southern dragonkin ruin on Anachronia, including 'locked', 'sacrifice', 'loss' and 'unity'. However the original inscription, and the original words, are unreadable by the player.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Dragonkin Primer, RuneScape. "Arakken = Dungeon?"
- ^ Dragonkin Primer, RuneScape. "Castil = Combine"
- ^ Dragonkin Primer, RuneScape. "Chen = Razed/Destroyed"
- ^ Kerapac's tablet, RuneScape. "[...] I was able to construct a Chenrath within the laboratory by tapping into the volcano's magma reserves. I can use this for all wastage without attracting undue attention from outside." Based on the known meaning of Chen (razed/destroyed) and Rath (fire), it can be deduced that chenrath means something approximating an incinerator.
- ^ a b Mod Slayer. "One of a Kind FAQ." 13 March 2014. Recent Game Updates Forums.
- ^ Dragonkin Primer, RuneScape. "Draekeun = Dragon"
- ^ Dragonkin Primer, RuneScape. "Drakkerkin = Dragonkin"
- ^ Dragonkin Primer, RuneScape. "Fia = Safe/Protected from"
- ^ Dragonkin Primer, RuneScape. "Gres = East"
- ^ Dragonkin Primer, RuneScape. "Kath = Failure/Weakling/Runt?"
- ^ Dragonkin Primer, RuneScape. "Kletter = Green"
- ^ Dragonkin Primer, RuneScape. "Kreath = Dark/Shadow/Black?"
- ^ Dragonkin Primer, RuneScape. "Lith = Superior"
- ^ Dragonkin Primer, RuneScape. "Lokur = Steel"
- ^ Dragonkin Primer, RuneScape. "Ortha = First"
- ^ Charos, "Desperate Times", RuneScape. "It means 'first city' I believe."
- ^ Dragonkin statue (Anachronia), RuneScape. "There is an inscription at the base of the statue written in the dragonkin language. You make out the word 'Orthen' which you believe to mean 'first city'."
- ^ a b Pthentraken is a compound word meaning Sorcery Queen/Queen of Magic. Because "pthen" is used for celestial dragons (pthencaraun draekun) we can discard it as meaning queen. Therefore "pthen" means Sorcery/Magic and "traken" means Queen.
- ^ Dragonkin research, RuneScape. "[...] Giving it the dimension-warping abilities we need to study is making it more aware of itself, and its power puts it in a state of confusion. [...] We have, together, dubbed them 'pthencaraun draekun'." Based on the mention of dimension-warping abilities and confusion we can deduce this passage is talking about Astellarn. Given that Astellarn is the first celestial dragon, we can deduce that pthencaraun draekun refers to celestial dragons.
- ^ https://www.twitch.tv/videos/934257842 35:55
- ^ a b Rumours of the Raksha, RuneScape. "They call it Raksha - taken from the name of a fallen entity among some of my people's older mythologies - 'The One Above all' or 'The One That Speaks' in our modern vernacular."
- ^ a b Mod Rowley. Runescape Official YouTube Channel. 28 November 2020. "And sha is... Is a word we haven't previously put in the game, but from the transliteration of the name, you could guess that is "one" or "singular", something along those lines."
- ^ Rathis is a compound word meaning Fireblood. As "rath" has previously been brought up in the context of fire (Chenrath), we can deduce it means "fire".
- ^ https://www.twitch.tv/videos/934257842 35:22
- ^ Kerapac's tablet, RuneScape. "Four roakin brought this pain-filled universe into existence, and four roakin names will send it into an entropic state - its beginning and its end."
- ^ Kerapac, "Desperate Measures", RuneScape. "We have pleaded with the roakin. We have begged them. We have worshipped them. We have fought for them, died for them. We have done everything to placate them. [...] The elder gods don't care. The elder gods will never care."
- ^ a b One... Voice..., RuneScape. "We... Build... City... Saurthen... Lizard... City..."
- ^ Dragonkin research, RuneScape. "Kranon, the fool. All of them are fools. Now they are skek. S K E K. Dead, dead, all but Kranon."
- ^ Dragonkin research, RuneScape. "My kreath takla draekun isn't behaving as before." Based on the context and other known words, kreath takla draekun means black takla dragon. From there it can be deduced that the text is referring to the black stone dragon, located in the Dragonkin Laboratory, where these pages are found.
- ^ Kerapac's tablet, RuneScape. "[...] I have installed a kreath takla drakeun, sister to the one abandoned beneath Ullergrax." Kerapac is referring to the black stone dragon encountered during Desperate Measures, which is the sister of the black stone dragon located in the Dragonkin Laboratory.
- ^ Dragonkin Primer, RuneScape. "Tho = South"
- ^ Based on the known meaning of Orthen (First city), which appears to be a portmanteau of the Dragonkin word Ortha (first) and the suffix "Then" that also appears in the Dragonkin words Herethen (Taverley) and Istruthen (Lumbridge), it can be deduced that Then means "city" in Dragonkin.
- ^ Dragonkin research, RuneScape. "The sunken black. Ulthven Kreath."
- ^ Dragonkin Primer, RuneScape. "Vek = Failure"
- ^ Dragonkin Primer, RuneScape. "Verak = King/Emperor?"
- ^ Old notes (Dragon Slayer II) (Old School RuneScape), RuneScape. "It was another vorkath, a pathetic failure."
- ^ Kerapac, "One of a Kind", RuneScape. "The curse that my kind suffers is like a chain that connects us to the Stone of Jas and also the Vosk... Sorry. The 'False Users'."
- ^ Forcae's journal, RuneScape. "The were arrogant Vosk. They felt they could use the power of the Stone."
- ^ Dragonkin Primer, RuneScape. "Ullergrax = Forinthry/Wilderness"
- ^ Dragonkin Primer, RuneScape. "Sketherin = Brimhaven"
- ^ Dragonkin Primer, RuneScape. "aV'rok = Varrock"
- ^ Dragonkin Primer, RuneScape. "Herethen = Taverley"
- ^ Dragonkin Primer, RuneScape. "Istruthen = Lumbridge"
- ^ Mod Raven. Runescape Official Discord. 12 July 2019. "The intention was, if I recall correctly, that it's a sort of curse phrase. Sort of like "For Pete's sake". Vokun is a mythological character if I remember my story correctly, so it's effectively referencing a shared dragonkin culture as a curse phrase."*