|Release||18 June 2007 (Update)|
|Stacks in bank||Yes|
|Backpack||Wield, Inspect, Empty|
|High alch||1,200,000 coins|
|Low alch||800,000 coins|
|A heavy shield with a snarling, draconic visage.|
|Exchange||1,191,794 coins (info)|
|Links||MRID • recipe|
|FAQ • doc|
The dragonfire shield is an anti-dragon shield that has been fused with a draconic visage. Requiring 70 Defence to equip, when charged, the dragonfire shield is one of the best melee shields in the game. The charged shield surpasses the dragon kiteshield and is equivalent in strength to the blessed spirit shield and Bandos warshield, although it lacks the prayer bonus that those two shields provide.
Much like the anti-dragon shield from which it is made, the dragonfire shield provides partial protection from dragonfire attacks; however, it also provides the same partial protection from the ice breath of skeletal wyverns that an elemental shield or equivalent would offer.
The dragonfire shield cannot be lent. Additionally, it can only be traded when completely uncharged.
Combat stats[edit | edit source]
|Armour||170.0||PvM: 7%||PvP: 0%|
|Life points||0||Style bonuses|
|FAQ • docs|
Creation[edit | edit source]
|You must be using an Anvil|
|While Guthix Sleeps|
|You must be using a Dragonkin anvil|
The dragonfire shield is created by attaching a draconic visage to an anti-dragon shield at any anvil. The process requires 90 Smithing and a hammer, giving 2,000 Smithing experience and an uncharged dragonfire shield. There are 3 types of dragonfire shields you can smith, you will be given the option to choose either melee, range or magic dragonfire shield. Players who do not have the required Smithing level to make the shield may seek help through the Assist System; alternately, Oziach in Edgeville will smith the shield for any player at a cost of 1,250,000 coins.
The draconic visage is dropped by most high-level dragons, including black, iron, steel, mithril, frost, and celestial dragons, skeletal wyverns, and the King and Queen Black Dragon. However, green, blue, red, bronze, brutal green dragons, and all baby dragons do not drop the draconic visage.
Special attack[edit | edit source]
With the Legacy/EoC update, the Dragonfire shield again has its special attack. Players can use the attack by right clicking a charged and equipped dragonfire shield and clicking "Activate". This uses up 1 charge and has a cooldown period of 2 minutes, shared with the Dragonfire ward and the Dragonfire deflector Even though the Dragonfire shield has a cooldown, there is no icon on the debuff bar for the Dragonfire shield special attack. The attack does not work on dragons or wyverns.
The Dragonfire shield's special attack has the following attributes:
- Deals 75% to 225% ability damage, even in Legacy Mode. This damage is affected by Scrimshaw of the elements, Sunshine, and any other boost that affects Magic ability damage.
- Acts like a channelled ability, where you cannot switch equipment, move, etc. during the 5 tick animation for the special attack.
- Ignores the global cooldown, therefore allowing it to be used the same tick as an ability. However, it still places auto attacks on cooldown.
- Cancels Detonate if used during its charge up period; dealing no damage from both Detonate and the special attack.
Dragonfire charges[edit | edit source]
Charging[edit | edit source]
As it absorbs the dragonfire attacks of adult dragons, the dragonfire shield builds charges. The shield can also be charged by absorbing the breath attacks of skeletal wyverns, although it will still discharge dragonfire. Each breath attack gives the shield one charge. The shield can hold up to 50 charges. Right-clicking the shield and selecting the Inspect option can be used to check its current number of charges.
To charge the dragonfire shield, simply equip the shield and attack any dragon capable of breathing dragonfire. With the use of an antifire potion, no damage will be taken. There are several ways to charge a dragonfire shield in complete safety.
- Iron and Steel dragons in Brimhaven Dungeon only use dragonfire when attacking at range, meaning the shield gains a charge with every attack, while no damage is taken. Accessing the Brimhaven Dungeon costs 875 coins per entry, unless the hard Karamja tasks have been completed, or a player teleports to the resource dungeon using the Dungeoneering Skill Cape.
- A steel dragon (player-owned house) in a player-owned house's Treasure Room. If not using another player's POH, it costs 10,000,000 coins (10M) to build, and requires 95 Construction.
- A pit iron dragon in a player-owned house's Dungeon Pit. If not using another player's POH, it costs 7,500,000 coins to build, and requires 97 Construction and completion of Love Story.
- Elvarg in Dominion Tower, with 110 combat, Dragon Slayer and at least 19 other quests completed.
Players who do not have such options available can also charge the shield easily using one of the following:
- A blue dragon can be fought in the basement of the Heroes' Guild, which is easily accessed from the Burthorpe lodestone. Note that the Heroes' Quest needs to be completed for entry into the guild.
- Black dragons can be fought in the Evil Chicken lair in Zanaris. This requires Lost City to be completed.
- The King black dragon can be accessed from the symbol north of the Monastery of Saradomin near the Edgeville lodestone, allowing quick charging if in a hurry.
Discharging[edit | edit source]
Players can drain all of the dragonfire shield's charges at once by right-clicking the shield in the inventory and selecting Empty. This will release all of the shield's charges in a harmless burst. This function is useful when selling or trading the shield, as it can only be traded when completely uncharged.
Also, if dropped on death in an unsafe environment, when recovered the dragonfire shield will be completely uncharged.
Prices[edit | edit source]
When bought or smithed, the shield will be uncharged. A partially charged Dragonfire shield will have the same defensive bonuses as a fully charged shield.
Disassembly[edit | edit source]
|Item quantity required||1|
|Base junk chance||23.0%|
|3 × Dragonfire components||Always|
Graphical updates[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 16 January 2017 (Update):
- Smithing dragonfire shields now uses the production interface with its own dropdown selection at anvils.
- patch 5 February 2013 (Update):
- Player’s hands will no longer glow when crossing monkey bars with a Dragonfire shield equipped.
- patch 14 January 2013 (Update):
- The Queen Black Dragon's dragon breath now charges Ranged and Magic dragonfire shields correctly.
- patch 22 November 2012 (Update):
- Switching Dragonfire shields between the Melee, Ranged and Mage versions at the Dragonkin Forge (near Kuradal) now uses up a blast hammer per shield.
- patch 6 June 2012 (Update):
- It is now possible to use the dragonfire shield special attack in combat.
- patch 11 April 2012 (Update):
- patch 17 October 2011 (Update):
- If you activate a dragonfire shield’s special attack before entering a duel, it will be deactivated when the duel begins.
- patch 19 July 2010 (Update):
- The true colours of the dragonfire shield should now properly appear all over.
- update 26 June 2007 (Update):
- The uncharged version of the new dragonfire shield has now been given a +7 strength bonus to match the charged version.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In July 2010, the shield's appearance was updated so that both sides of the shield, the parts that were not covered by the visage, were orange. Previously, one side of the shield was orange, and the other side was the same colour as the visage.
- Dragonfire shields will only stack in the bank when completely uncharged. Shields with any number of charges will each take up one bank space. Using the withdraw-all option in a bank will withdraw all dragonfire shields with matching charges even though they don't stack.
- The dragonfire shield's appearance was updated on 6 March 2012 along with the armour graphical rework.
- When used to provoke the Kalphite King in Legacy Mode, or equipped while green, the fire charge glow will become a green colour.
- Before the Evolution of Combat, the Dragonfire shield had a Defence level requirement of 75. Its defensive stats also varied with the number of charges the shield currently had; they would increase by +1 for each charge, maximising at 50 charges.
- Prior to the Mining and Smithing rework, the blast fusion hammer was required to switch between the Melee, Magic, and Ranged versions of the dragonfire shield at the dragon forge. As of the rework, any hammer works.
- Even though dragon bolts (e) special attack deals damage as dragonfire, dragon bolts (e) are not affected by any magic modifiers, while the dragonfire shield's special is.
- For a time until an update on 16 June 2009, the shield itself was a possible drop from other players on PvP Worlds. Additionally, between 4 January and 11 January 2012, the draconic visage could be obtained from the Barrows minigame.
- A charged Dragonfire shield may not be keepsaked.