|Release||18 June 2007 (Update)|
|Stacks in bank||Yes|
|High alch||1,200,000 coins|
|Low alch||800,000 coins|
|Exchange||1,199,058 coins (info)|
|A heavy shield with a snarling, draconic visage.|
|FAQ • doc|
The dragonfire shield is an anti-dragon shield that has been fused with a draconic visage. Requiring 70 Defence to equip, when charged, the dragonfire shield is one of the best melee shields in the game. The charged shield surpasses the dragon kiteshield and is equivalent in strength to the blessed spirit shield and Bandos warshield, although it lacks the prayer bonus that those two shields provide.
Much like the anti-dragon shield from which it is made, the dragonfire shield provides partial protection from dragonfire attacks; however, it also provides the same partial protection from the ice breath of skeletal wyverns that an elemental shield or equivalent would offer.
The dragonfire shield cannot be lent. Additionally, it can only be traded when completely uncharged.
|Armour||170.0||PvM: 7%||PvP: 0%|
|Life points||0||Style bonuses|
|FAQ • docs|
Creation[edit | edit source]
The dragonfire shield is created by attaching a draconic visage to an anti-dragon shield at any anvil. The process requires 90 Smithing and a hammer, giving 2,000 Smithing experience and an uncharged dragonfire shield. There are 3 types of dragonfire shields you can smith, you will be given the option to choose either melee, range or magic dragonfire shield. Players who do not have the required Smithing level to make the shield may seek help through the Assist System; alternately, Oziach in Edgeville will smith the shield for any player at a cost of 1,250,000 coins.
It is possible to change between the different uncharged versions by using the dragonfire shield at the dragon forge located in the Ancient Cavern. A blast fusion hammer, which costs 1,000,000 coins, which can be bought from the Blast Furnace Foreman. This requires level 92 smithing.
The draconic visage is dropped by most high-level dragons, including black, iron, steel, mithril, frost, and celestial dragons, skeletal wyverns, and the King and Queen Black Dragon. However, green, blue, red, bronze, brutal green dragons, and all baby dragons do not drop the draconic visage.
For a time until an update on 16 June 2009, the shield itself was a possible drop from other players on PvP Worlds. Additionally, between 4 January and 11 January 2012, the draconic visage could be obtained from the Barrows minigame.
Dragonfire charges[edit | edit source]
Charging[edit | edit source]
As it absorbs the dragonfire attacks of adult dragons, the dragonfire shield builds charges. The shield can also be charged by absorbing the breath attacks of skeletal wyverns, although it will still discharge dragonfire. Each breath attack gives the shield one charge. The shield can hold up to 50 charges. Right-clicking the shield and selecting the Inspect option can be used to check its current number of charges.
To charge the dragonfire shield, simply equip the shield and attack any dragon capable of breathing dragonfire. With the use of an antifire potion, no damage will be taken. There are several ways to charge a dragonfire shield in complete safety.
- Iron and Steel dragons in Brimhaven Dungeon only use dragonfire when attacking at range, meaning the shield gains a charge with every attack, while no damage is taken. Accessing the Brimhaven Dungeon costs 875 coins per entry, unless the hard Karamja tasks have been completed, or a player teleports to the resource dungeon using the Dungeoneering Skill Cape.
- A steel dragon (POH) in a player-owned house's Treasure Room. If not using another player's POH, it costs 10,000,000 coins (10M) to build, and requires 95 Construction.
- A pit iron dragon in a player-owned house's Dungeon Pit. If not using another player's POH, it costs 7,500,000 coins to build, and requires 97 Construction and completion of Love Story.
- Elvarg in Dominion Tower, with 110 combat, Dragon Slayer and at least 19 other quests completed.
Players who do not have such options available can also charge the shield easily using one of the following:
- A blue dragon can be fought in the basement of the Heroes' Guild, which is easily accessed from the Burthorpe lodestone. Note that the Heroes' Quest needs to be completed for entry into the guild.
- Black dragons can be fought in the Evil Chicken lair in Zanaris. This requires Lost City to be completed.
- The King black dragon can be accessed from the symbol north of the Monastery of Saradomin near the Edgeville lodestone, allowing quick charging if in a hurry.
Special attack[edit | edit source]
With the Legacy/EoC update, the Dragonfire shield again has its special attack. Players can use the attack by right clicking a charged and equipped dragonfire shield and clicking "Activate". This uses up 1 charge and has a cooldown period of 2 minutes. The attack does not work on dragons or wyverns.
Discharging[edit | edit source]
Players can drain all of the dragonfire shield's charges at once by right-clicking the shield in the inventory and selecting Empty. This will release all of the shield's charges in a harmless burst. This function is useful when selling or trading the shield, as it can only be traded when completely uncharged.
Also, if dropped on death in an unsafe environment, when recovered the dragonfire shield will be completely uncharged.
Disassembly[edit | edit source]
|Item quantity required||1|
|Base junk chance||23.0%|
|3 × Dragonfire components||Always|
Prices[edit | edit source]
When bought or smithed, the shield will be uncharged. A partially charged Dragonfire shield will have the same defensive bonuses as a fully charged shield.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 14 January 2013 (Update):
- The Queen Black Dragon's dragon breath now charges Ranged and Magic dragonfire shields correctly.
- patch 6 June 2012 (Update):
- It is now possible to use the dragonfire shield special attack in combat.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In July 2010, the shield's appearance was updated so that both sides of the shield, the parts that were not covered by the visage, were orange. Previously, one side of the shield was orange, and the other side was the same colour as the visage.
- Dragonfire shields will only stack in the bank when completely uncharged. Shields with any number of charges will each take up one bank space. Using the withdraw-all option in a bank will withdraw all dragonfire shields with matching charges even though they don't stack.
- The dragonfire shield's appearance was updated on 6 March 2012 along with the armour graphical rework.
- When used to provoke the Kalphite King in Legacy Mode, or equipped while green, the fire charge glow will become a green colour.
- Before the EoC update, the Dragonfire shield had a Defence level requirement of 75.