|Release||20 November 2012 (Update)|
|Stacks in bank||Yes|
|High alch||1,200,000 coins|
|Low alch||800,000 coins|
|A heavy shield with a snarling, draconic visage.|
|Exchange||1,198,687 coins (info)|
|Links||MRID • recipe|
|FAQ • doc|
The dragonfire deflector is created when combining a draconic visage with an Anti-dragon shield and choosing to forge it towards Ranged. Requiring 70 Defence to equip, it is one of the most powerful shields in RuneScape. Much like the anti-dragon shield from which it is made, the dragonfire deflector provides partial protection from dragonfire attacks; however, it also provides the same partial protection from the ice breath of skeletal wyverns that an elemental shield or equivalent would offer. In addition, due to most chromatic dragons relying on magic damage on basic attacks, the effectiveness of ranging dragons is increased provided the player maintains distance from the dragon. It also has identical stats to the Armadyl buckler, except for the Dragonfire protection and the prayer bonus.
The dragonfire deflector cannot be lent. Additionally, it can only be traded when completely uncharged.
|Armour||170.0||PvM: 7%||PvP: 0%|
|Life points||0||Style bonuses|
|FAQ • docs|
Creation[edit | edit source]
The dragonfire deflector is created by attaching a draconic visage to an anti-dragon shield at any anvil. The process requires 90 Smithing and a hammer, giving 2,000 Smithing experience and an uncharged dragonfire deflector. There are 3 types of dragonfire shields you can smith, you will be given the option to choose either melee, range or magic. Players who do not have the required Smithing level to make the deflector may seek help through the Assist System; alternately, Oziach in Edgeville will smith the deflector for any player at a cost of 1,250,000 coins.
It is possible to change between the different uncharged versions by using the dragonfire deflector at the dragon forge located in the Ancient Cavern. This requires level 92 smithing. Before the mining and smithing rework, a blast fusion hammer, which costs 1,000,000 gp, purchaseable from the Blast Furnace Foreman was required.
The draconic visage is dropped by most high-level dragons, including black, iron, steel, mithril, frost, and celestial dragons, skeletal wyverns, and the King and Queen Black Dragon. However, green, blue, red, bronze, brutal green dragons, and all baby dragons do not drop the draconic visage.
Special attack[edit | edit source]
With the Legacy/EoC update, the Dragonfire deflector again has its special attack. Players can use the attack by right clicking a charged and equipped dragonfire deflector and clicking "Activate". This uses up 1 charge and has a cooldown period of 2 minutes, shared with the Dragonfire ward and the Dragonfire shield. The attack does not work on dragons or wyverns.
The Dragonfire deflector's special attack has a few interesting attributes:
- It deals 75% to 225% ability damage, even in Legacy Mode.
- It acts like a channeled ability, where you cannot switch equipment, move, etc. during the 5 tick animation for the special attack.
- It ignores the global cooldown, therefore allowing it to be used the same tick as an ability. However, it still places auto attacks on cooldown.
- The damage from the special is buffed as an ability would be; scrimshaw of the elements, sunshine, etc. all affect it's damage.
- If initiated during detonate's charge up, it will cancel detonate, not dealing any damage from both detonate and the special attack.
Dragonfire charges[edit | edit source]
Charging[edit | edit source]
As it absorbs the dragonfire attacks of adult dragons, the dragonfire deflector builds charges. The deflector can also be charged by absorbing the breath attacks of skeletal wyverns, although it will still discharge dragonfire. Each breath attack gives the ward one charge. The deflector can hold up to 50 charges. Right-clicking the deflector and selecting the Inspect option can be used to check its current number of charges.
To charge the dragonfire deflector, simply equip the deflector and attack any dragon capable of breathing dragonfire. With the use of an antifire potion, no damage will be taken. There are several ways to charge a dragonfire ward in complete safety.
- Iron and Steel dragons in Brimhaven Dungeon only use dragonfire when attacking at range, meaning the deflector gains a charge with every attack, while no damage is taken. Accessing the Brimhaven Dungeon costs 875 coins per entry, unless the hard Karamja tasks have been completed, or a player teleports to the resource dungeon using the Dungeoneering Skill Cape.
- A steel dragon (player-owned house) in a player-owned house's Treasure Room. If not using another player's POH, it costs 10,000,000 coins (10M) to build, and requires 95 Construction.
- A pit iron dragon in a player-owned house's Dungeon Pit. If not using another player's POH, it costs 7,500,000 coins to build, and requires 97 Construction and completion of Love Story.
- Elvarg in Dominion Tower, with 110 combat, Dragon Slayer and at least 19 other quests completed.
Players who do not have such options available can also charge the ward easily using one of the following:
- A blue dragon can be fought in the basement of the Heroes' Guild, which is easily accessed from the Burthorpe lodestone. Note that the Heroes' Quest needs to be completed for entry into the guild.
- Black dragons can be fought in the Evil Chicken lair in Zanaris. This requires Lost City to be completed.
- The King black dragon can be accessed from the symbol north of the Monastery of Saradomin near the Edgeville lodestone, allowing quick charging if in a hurry.
Discharging[edit | edit source]
Players can drain all of the dragonfire deflector's charges at once by right-clicking the deflector in the inventory and selecting Empty. This will release all of the deflector's charges in a harmless burst. This function is useful when selling or trading the deflector, as it can only be traded when completely uncharged.
Also, if dropped on death in an unsafe environment, when recovered the Dragonfire deflector will be completely uncharged.
Prices[edit | edit source]
When bought or smithed, the ward will be uncharged. A partially charged Dragonfire deflector will have the same defensive bonuses as a fully charged shield.
Disassembly[edit | edit source]
|Item quantity required||1|
|Base junk chance||23.0%|
|3 × Dragonfire components||Always|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 16 January 2017 (Update):
- Smithing dragonfire shields now uses the production interface with its own dropdown selection at anvils.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Even though dragon bolts (e) special attack deals damage as dragonfire, dragon bolts (e) are not affected by any magic modifiers, while the dragonfire deflector's special is.
- Even though the dragonfire deflector's special acts like an ability for buffs, it isn't a real ability. This means the cooldown cannot be decreased by warpriest of Armadyl armour's passive effect, or activate impatient, etc.
- Even though the Dragonfire deflector has a cooldown, there is no icon on the debuff bar for the Dragonfire deflector's special attack.
- A charged Dragonfire deflector may not be keepsaked.