A dragon (Draconis rex) is a dangerous race of monster with wings (though rarely seen flying) and the ability to use a fiery breath attack.
After being cursed by Jas to guard her most powerful artefact, a creed of Dragonkin known as the Dactyl wished to create a race that would be similar to them, but without suffering the Curse's effects. Kerapac created the first known dragon using his own blood and the egg of a large aquatic lizard. Phalaks soon created a similar, but weaker dragon. The two bred and created the dragons as we know them today.
Despite the Dactyls' efforts, the resulting dragons were seen as broken and bestial, deemed as failures. They would often be experimented on by their creators, either as a result of their own kind dwindling due to their inability to reproduce or supposed potential which resulted in various subspecies of dragons; metal dragons, gemstone dragons and even outliers such as frost and celestial dragons.
Dragons are often a very high combat level. Even the lowliest of dragons have a nasty dragon-breath attack. Only the adult dragons can breathe fire. As this attack can hit over 5000 life points, an Anti-dragon shield, Antifire potion, Super antifire or Dragonfire shield is almost always required to fight them. If both the shield and the potion are used, all of the damage is prevented. Due to the Protect from Magic Prayer's effectiveness against the dragonfire attacks (though less so that of the usual methods to repel them), dragons are at least partially magical in nature.
There are three non-attackable dragons:
- Mr. Mordaut was the teacher in the Surprise Exam! random event, later residing in the basement of Varrock Museum and presently in the town hall area of the Anachronia base camp.
- K'klik, a fairy dragon found in the Freeing Sir Amik Varze subquest in Recipe for Disaster.
- Therragorn, the last White Dragon from One of a Kind.
Culture[edit | edit source]
Dragon culture is relatively unknown to other races, as they see them as a broken, bestial race, though they are capable of communicating with humans. The Stone of Jas is responsible for the dragons' rage, as the Dragonkin had used their blood in their creation. Dragons are capable of speaking and self-control, such as the King Black Dragon and Therragorn, although most have trouble doing so, requiring a conduit of some sort in order to speak with the other races. The dragons revere the Dragon Riders, due to the ability to remove their rage and grant them the life they can only dream of.
Dragons have a written language which is fairly simple but focuses on conveying emotions. It is described as having a certain beauty to it in order to communicate lucid moments that occurred during the lifetime of a dragon. Non-dragons are capable of making use of it for other purposes such as coded messages.
Some dragons collect treasure. Rather than being collected out of greed, the treasures serve as mementos to remind the dragons of who they are without their pain and rage.
Types of dragons[edit | edit source]
Chromatic[edit | edit source]
- Green dragon
- Blue dragon
- Red dragon
- Black dragon
- White dragon
Metal[edit | edit source]
Gemstone[edit | edit source]
Other[edit | edit source]
Dragon Bosses[edit | edit source]
- Royal Dragon Bosses:
- Gorvek (Vindicta's dragon)
- Black stone dragon
Dragon Minibosses[edit | edit source]
Dragon minibosses can only be found in the Dragonkin Laboratory.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- ninja 25 April 2016 (Update):
- Improved respawn rates for Dragons: chromatic, metallic (up to mithril), celestial, frost and the King Black Dragon.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In the 19th Postbag from the Hedge, a letter from a green dragon stated they can fly. With the exception of rune dragons, they are not seen flying (except in cut-scenes from Dragon Slayer, One of a Kind, and at the Clan Citadel) because they prefer to eat humans on the ground. In the same letter, they are also depicted as fairly dim-witted, talking in a dialect similar to ogres. However in the same letter he remarks that the King (the King Black Dragon) can speak human better than he.
- Eski is the only known small dragon as seen in the 14th Postbag from the Hedge. He is owned by Tim.
- All chromatic and metal dragons had a graphical update on 5 July 2010, making them the first monsters in RuneScape to have a second graphical update. Since the graphical update, dragons have a more dog like body, they are taller, and seem to have a plate-like skin rather than scales.
- The Ilujanka can control dragons as their empathatic abilities can cool the dragons' rage.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Hannibus, RuneScape. "It's a simple language, it conveys emotions more than words. They're creatures of experiences, dragons, their entire lives are built around the few memories of lucid moments."
- ^ Adamant dragon (Curse of the Black Stone), "Curse of the Black Stone", RuneScape. "They rip the flesh from their corpses and they steal all the treasures that my babies have found. The treasures that tell their story. That remind them of who they are without the rage. Without the pain."