Dr. Randulf Harlow is a retired vampyre slayer located in the Blue Moon Inn at Varrock. In his many years of fighting, he has seen much evil, and has since turned to alcohol to cope. As such, when Count Draynor terrorised Draynor Village, he was unable to help. He boasts about his history, claiming to have been the "besht". He is good friends with Morgan in Draynor Village, sharing some of his vampyre slaying tips with him.
In exchange for a beer, he teaches others how to become a Vampyre Slayer, explaining how their dark magic allows them to regenerate and providing them with a stake and hammer necessary to finish off a vampyre. He also advises they carry garlic on them.
He also appears as a zombie in New Varrock, still in the Blue Moon Inn. He has been possessed by the Spirit of the Body, who thought to use him to obtain a few lively pleasures and fight Delrith, and can only control his body when drunk. He refuses to embrace sobriety, despite the efforts of the apothecary. He rejects any attempts to give him the sobriety potion, describing it as a "vile concoction". It must be disguised as beer before he will take it, and afterwards he will complain about the spirit's return.
Dr Harlow appears on the Varrock Census of Year 160, Fifth Age, with his occupation listed as "Vampyre Hunter".
- Dr. Harlow used to be located in the Jolly Boar Inn, north-east of Varrock. This was changed to prevent new players from accidentally wandering into the Wilderness.
- Dr. Harlow received a makeover on 15 December 2009. Before his makeover, he wore glasses, but does not have them on his new model.
- His new look resembles Van Helsing, the protagonist and vampire hunter from Bram Stoker's Dracula. It is also likely that he was based off the character originally.
- He could also be based on psychologist Harry Harlow, who was known to be an alcoholic.
- At the mention of "How to kill a vampyre" Dr. Harlow resumes a normal, sober state. His speech isn't slurred, and it seems the only thing that could snap him out of his inebriated state.
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 9 December 2019 (Update):
- Dr Harlow now consistently refers to Vampyres instead of Vampires.
- ^ Morgan, "Vampyre Slayer", RuneScape. "Harlow is...past his prime. He's seen too many evil things in his life and, to forget them, he drinks himself into oblivion. I fear he will slay vampyres no more."
- ^ Dr Harlow, "Vampyre Slayer", RuneScape. "I'm the besht in the business. No one could teash you what I know. No one else has sheen what I've sheen."
- ^ Dr Harlow, "Vampyre Slayer", RuneScape. "Garlic is pretty common, I know I always advised Morgan to keep a supply, so you might be able to get some from him."
- ^ Spirit of the Body, "Dimension of Disaster: Demon Slayer", RuneScape. "Well, we waited so long to test a brave new hero to inherit the sword, but nobody came. And then Delrith showed up an destroyed the city. So we agreed to pack it in, and I realised how much I missed the little things in life - eating a drinking and physical stuff like that."
- ^ Spirit of the Body, "Dimension of Disaster: Demon Slayer", RuneScape. "Well, he was a zombie - that hardly counts - and it's not like he wasn't in control. I couldn't even get him to fight back against Delrith - and him a vampyre hunter!"
- ^ a b Dr Harlow, "Dimension of Disaster: Demon Slayer", RuneScape. "No chance! The ghost can only take me over when I'm sober. I ain't gonna let it! Hones'ly, you're worse than the apothecary fella. He's always tryin' to sober me up."
- ^ Dr Harlow, "Dimension of Disaster: Demon Slayer", RuneScape. "Get that vile concoction away from me. I want beer, not sobriety!"