Double XP Live
Double XP Live is a recurring event where players receive twice as much experience from most training activities. These events run every 3 months (4 times a year), beginning on a Friday and ending on the following Monday.
Double XP Live events were preceded by Double XP Weekends and Bonus XP Weekends. Double XP Weekends initially lasted over a weekend, from Friday to Monday until they were extended to ten days before being rebranded as Double XP Live. During Bonus XP Weekends players received a variable amount of bonus experience that decreased with the duration for which they were logged in. The decaying bonus experience boost was replaced by a constant double experience boost in the October 2012 Double XP Weekend; all subsequent weekends have been Double XP Weekends, with the exception of an extra weekend in December 2016.
Experience calculator[edit | edit source]
The calculator below may be used to see the effect of various experience modifiers during the Double XP event.
|Bonus XP Weekend/Double XP Weekend XP 2015|
Calculator: Double XP Weekend XP
template=Bonus XP Weekend/Double XP Weekend XP 2015
param = base|Base XP|1|number|
param = bonus|Bonus XP||check
param = wisdom|Wisdom aura||check
param = outfit|Skill outfit parts|0|buttonselect|0,1%,2%,3%,4%,5%,6%
param = avatar|Clan avatar|No|buttonselect|0,3%,4%,5%,6%
param = vos|Voice of Seren||check|||20% boost to base XP for specific actions within the active clan district voice.
param = juju|Perfect juju potion||check|||Prayer: +5% XP from gilded altars and cleansing the corrupted Seren Stone.
Herblore: +5% XP for making combination potions. param = portable|Portable skilling stations||check|||10% boost to base XP. param = pulse|Advanced pulse core|No|buttonselect|No,2%,4%,6%,8%,10% param = cinder|Cinder core|No|buttonselect|No,2%,4%,6%,8%,10% param = chomp|Skillchompa||check|||+10% XP per action. param = insignia|Collector's insignia|No|buttonselect|No,Uncharged,Charged||Uncharged: +5% XP from Agility courses and Barbarian Firemaking.
Charged: +10% XP for the same actions. param = focus|Summoning focus||check|||+20% XP. One consumed for each pouch made. param = clover|Clover necklace|No|buttonselect|No,Two-leaf,Three-leaf,Four-leaf||+1% XP per tier. param = mory|Morytania legs 4||check param = glov|Fist of Guthix gloves|No|buttonselect|No,Swordfish,Shark,Dragonslayer param = raf|Recruit a Friend||check|||+10% XP. param = incense|Torstol incense sticks|No|buttonselect|No,1,2,3,4||0.5% boost to base XP per potency level. param = wise|Wise rank|No|buttonselect|No,1,2,3,4||+1% XP per rank.
Please submit the form.
Limitations[edit | edit source]
- Item experience is gained at 150% of the normal rate (1.5 x normal experience)
- Discovering blueprints and creating items on an inventor's workbench gives 150% of the normal experience (1.5 x)
- Protean cogs give 150% of the normal experience (1.5 x)
- Disassembling typical items (not "levelable" equipment, see below) will give 150% of the normal experience (1.5 x)
- Disassembling and siphoning equipment (augmented equipment, Fishing rod-o-matic, etc.) does not give any bonus experience
- Base Precision is doubled (this means double artefacts per hour from excavation)
- Excavation & Screening XP are doubled
- Players do not receive Double XP from restoring artefacts, tomes, research, mysteries or pylons
The following actions do not provide any bonus experience:
- Quest experience rewards
- Any experience earned through the Assist System
- Items/locations that already give bonus experience, including:
- Ancient effigies
- Brawling gloves
- Chaos Temple
- Cremation will double the firemaking xp but not the prayer xp
- Dragon Rider amulet
- Dungeoneering Wildcards
- Dwarven tools
- Essence of wisdom
- Experience lamps
- Filled penance horns
- Player-owned house altars
- Sacred clay items
- Scrimshaw of corruption / sacrifice for Slayer experience
- Tomes of experience
- The Wisdom of Scabaras effect of the desert pantheon aura
- Turning in Loot bags from Safecracking
- Experience rewards from activities including:
- Anything which allows points to be exchanged for experience, including:
Ironman Mode players are also disallowed from participating.
Free-to-play players gain 20% extra experience rather than double experience, with the same limitations listed above. However, unlike during normal gameplay, they will consume any accumulated bonus experience during Double XP events.
Past limitations[edit | edit source]
- Recruit a Friend (+10%) until February 2014.
- Stored bonus experience (+100%) until November 2014.
- Clan avatar (+6%) until November 2014.
- Demonic skull until 23 September 2016.
Preparations[edit | edit source]
After the announcement of an upcoming Double XP Weekend, players often prepare their accounts in order to maximise efficiency and experience gains. Prior to the start of the event, players may engage in the following activities:
- Stocking up on large amounts of skilling resources through the Grand Exchange (e.g. logs and raw fish to train Firemaking and Cooking respectively).
- Playing Treasure Hunter for a chance to obtain protean items and sources of bonus experience.
- Buying portable skilling stations.
- Collecting divine locations, as both resources and experience can be gained at a faster rate than traditional methods, at the cost of having a daily limit of how many items can be obtained from these locations. It may also be a good idea to stock up on vis wax, which can be used to extend the daily limit by up to 100%.
- Strategically training at certain locations and worlds to maximise efficiency. Skilling at crowded locations where portables are often deployed, stacked, and shared by many other players can greatly increase experience gains. In worlds where many players skill at the same time, there's also a higher chance of others popping pulse cores which will give one between 2 and 10% bonus experience. Alternatively, some skills such as Hunter and Slayer may hinge on the availability of a less crowded world.
- Players often train at the bank in Burthorpe or at the Market in Lumbridge, where one can expect other players to release portables and divine locations.
- In addition to experience, training in Menaphos allows players to gain reputation.
- Prifddinas offers many skilling options suitable for high-levelled players.
- Engaging in money-making activities to be able to afford resources and other desired items; this is particularly helpful when planning on training expensive skills like Herblore and Construction.
- Upgrading weapons and combat equipment to maximise experience gains when training combat skills.
- Joining clans and skill in the clan citadel to get a skilling boost. This provide a base 3% bonus experience for clan members, plus 1% for each Fealty rank, up to +3%, for a total of 6%.
- Some players also choose to invest money into the market, taking advantage of the fluctuating prices of skilling supplies.
Events[edit | edit source]
All times are in UTC.
|Start date||End date||Notes|
|6 November 2020 (12:00)||16 November 2020 (12:00)||Same mechanics from the previous event are repeated, with the addition of Archaeology now enjoying bonuses also.
For Archaeology, all experience from excavation and screening is boosted as for other regular skills, and base mattock precision is doubled. For instance the hi-spec monocle only acts on the unboosted precision, but time sprites act on the already boosted precision.
|7 August 2020 (12:00)||17 August (12:00)||Most of the mechanics of the event are otherwise the same as previous event except for a new pause button with a one hour cooldown, and the daily rewards have changed to the following (with numbers including the doubling mentioned in the login message):|
|8 May 2020 (12:00)||18 May (12:00)|| Experience-boosting mechanics work like in the previous event. Experience boosts don't apply to experience gained in Archaeology.
For this occurrence the event was rebranded as Double XP Live. Login messageis shown to notify that the event is active.
Daily rewards are available again, as notified by the login message. If one doesn't claim the daily reward, they are notified with the message . Mechanics are otherwise the same as previous event, but the rewards have changed to the following (with numbers including the doubling mentioned in the login message):
|21 February 2020 (12:00)||2 March (12:00)|| |
Daily rewards are also available, as notified by the login messageThe interface to claim rewards opens automatically upon logging in, and it can be reopened by right-clicking the bonus XP icon. If one doesn't claim the daily reward, they are notified with the message . The rewards available are the following, with each becoming available upon logging in on a new day of the event (with numbers including the doubling mentioned in the login message):
|22 November 2019 (12:00)||2 December (12:00)|| Unlike previous double XP weekends, this weekend is spread out over the course of 10 days. Players will have 36 hours at the start of the event. Time will run down only during time in game allowing for players to take breaks without losing potential XP.|
|26 July 2019 (12:00)||29 July (12:00)|||
|22 February 2019 (12:00)||25 February (12:00)|||
|16 November 2018 (12:00)||19 November (12:00)|||
|31 August 2018 (12:00)||3 September (12:00)|| As a teaser for the player-owned farm, seven special farm animals could have been spotted around RuneScape, awarding a small experience lamp for spotting each of them and a large experience lamp once all seven were found.|
|23 February 2018 (12:00)||26 February (12:00)|| The experience multiplier increased to 2.2x for members and 1.25x for free players for 30 minutes each time that a £10,000 milestone was hit during the GameBlast 2018 stream, which took place for 24 hours from 12:00 UTC on 23 February.|
|15 September 2017 (12:00)||18 September (12:00)|| The first login during the weekend prompted a pop-up ad for Recruit a Friend and the chatbox message "Double XP Weekend is live. Go go go!". Subsequent logins prompted the message "Why not team up with a training buddy? Gains are better with friends." Immediately following the end of the event, the second batch of updates for Invention was released, along with two weeks of +50% XP boost for blueprint discovery.|
|19 May 2017 (12:00)||22 May (12:00)||The timing of the weekend was down to the upcoming release of Menaphos in June. It did not feature a trail off period where bonus experience could still be received for a small duration, despite this being the case the weekend before. This Double XP weekend coincided with the Spring Fayre event, however experience gained during that event was not affected.|
|17 February 2017 (12:00)||20 February (12:00)|| Unlike previous Double XP weekends, an extended experience bonus continued into the following week. Up until 12:00 UTC on 27 February players continued to gain bonus experience with a decreasing multiplier until they reached a total of 1,000,000 experience gained. The boost started at 100% extra experience and decreases by 5% for every 50,000 total experience earned (including all bonus experience). Restrictions were the same as those on the Double XP Weekend itself. The weekend coincided with Game Jam 2017. Free players received a 1.2x boost instead. The trail off period did not apply for said free players.|
|30 December 2016 (12:00)||4 January 2017 (12:00)|| so that the following also works with the event; gilded altars, goldsmith gauntlets (including superheat), brawling gloves, slayer bonuses (Corruption/Sacrifice scrimshaws).|
|23 September 2016 (12:00)||26 September (12:00)|| This was the first Double XP Weekend to include the Invention skill. Extra experience was awarded to items' experience gains rather than Invention experience gained, at a 50% increase.
|26 February 2016 (12:00)||29 February (12:00)||Invention skill's experience gains were not affected by the Double XP Weekend.|
|25 September 2015 (12:00)||28 September (12:00)|
|20 February 2015 (12:00)||23 February (12:00)||
|31 October 2014 (12:00)||2 November (12:00)|| This Double XP Weekend was the first in which players' stored bonus experience would be used in combination with the Double XP Weekend's bonus; to give triple experience gains. It was also the first Double XP Weekend where a clan avatar's bonus would stack with the Double XP Weekend effect.|
|21 February 2014 (12:00)||24 February (14:00)||Recruit a Friend bonuses stacked with the Double XP Weekend bonus. This event, as voted for by players, was in support of the Gameblast charity weekend, raising money for Special Effect. Alongside the Double XP Weekend, Jagex hosted a 24-hour long livestream on their official Twitch channel, starting at 1pm UTC on Friday 21 February. A donation page was set up for players to make direct donations to the charity. Players could also purchase the limited edition GameBlast tunic from Solomon's General Store and donate coins to the Well of Goodwill.|
|27 October 2012 (12:00)||29 October (12:00)||11 October 2012, Jagex announced a Halloween Bonus XP Weekend that, for the first time, would available for free to play players. It was also the first Double XP Weekend: having a stable 2x experience multiplier, for members, rather than a decaying experience multiplier. Free to players gained a stable 1.2x experience bonus. Unlike previous Bonus XP Weekends the Summoning skill was not subject to a reduced multiplier and Summoning experience gains were doubled. The pumpkin amulet available at this time did stack with the Double XP Weekend bonus.
|16 March 2012 (12:00)||19 March (12:00)||March 2012 Behind the Scenes post. This was the final weekend to use the Bonus XP Weekend decaying experience boost: subsequent weekends were Double XP Weekends.|
|9 September 2011 (12:00)||12 September (12:00)||Announced in the Save 15% on the price of membership! newspost on 24 August.|
|11 March 2011 (12:00)||14 March (12:00)||Balthazar Beauregard's Big Top Bonanza were not affected by bonus experience during this and future Bonus XP Weekends, though it had been previously.|
|3 September 2010 (12:00)||7 September (12:00)||The Bonus XP Weekend was originally stated to run from 3 to 6 September, but it didn't actually end until 12:00 GMT on 7 September. It was similar to the first Bonus XP Weekend, but used the multiplier mechanics that were mentioned prior to the first weekend rather than those that were actually used during the Bonus XP Weekend. When logged in, players could check their bonus XP, time elapsed, and bonus modifier by hovering the mouse over the XP Counter. When the event first started, players training Dungeoneering did not receive bonus XP, so all players' multipliers were reset to 2.7x. If a player ran out of membership during the Bonus XP Weekend at 1.1 multiplier and then they renewed their membership, the multiplier would go back to 2.7x. During this and later Bonus XP Weekends Summoning was given a flat 1.1x bonus experience multiplier, regardless of timer spent logged in.
*As 1.1 lasts indefinitely the given average assumes only a half hour period and will decline further at a longer duration.
|12 March 2010 (12:00)||15 March (12:07)|| The Bonus XP Weekend used a decaying bonus experience formula. Players began with 2.7x experience bonus which decreased for every 45 minutes that the player was logged in. After 7 hours of being logged in the player would be down to a 1.1x experience bonus which would not decrease further. The first Bonus XP Weekend used an early version of the XP Counter to display the player's current experience multiplier and experience gains. It was located next to the minimap. During the Bonus XP Weekend no bonus experience was given in any skill while barbarian fishing.
Leading up to the Bonus XP Weekend, Jagex released an equation that gave the XP multiplier as a function of time and it was stated that the multiplier would be recalculated on every XP event, accurate to one minute. The multiplier given was for the first 10 hours, and a constant 1.1 after that, where is the number of hours played. This is shown in the graph on the right, which was also released with the formula. This would have given an average multiplier of 1.69x over the first 10 hours of play.
Update history[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- No Double XP Weekends occurred in 2013.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Jagex. Mod Raven's Twitter account. 25 February 2019. (Archived from the original on 25 February 2019.) Mod Raven: "Yes this is intentional."
- ^ Double XP Weekend.
- ^ November Month Ahead Stream Clip.*
- ^ RuneScape. "Double XP LIVE - Returning November 6th." 21 October 2020. RuneScape News.
- ^ RuneScape. "Double XP LIVE - Returning Soon!." 17 July 2020. RuneScape News.
- ^ RuneScape. "Double XP Weekend: Extended returns on May 8th!." 15 April 2020. RuneScape News.
- ^ RuneScape. "Double XP Weekend: Extended returns!." 24 January 2020. RuneScape News.
- ^ Mod Niku. RuneScape Month Ahead (Nov 19) - Farming & Herblore 120, Double XP, RS Mobile Early Access. 1 November 2019. (Archived from the original on 3 November 2019.)
- ^ RuneScape. "Double XP Weekend - July 2019." 2 July 2019. RuneScape News.
- ^ RuneScape in 2019 - an introduction. 28 December 2018.*
- ^ RuneScape. Double XP Weekend - November (2018). 29 October 2018.*
- ^ RuneScape. RuneScape's Month Ahead - August (2018). 3 August 2018.*
- ^ Spottable farm animals. 31 August 2018.*
- ^ The Year Ahead: 2018. 5 January 2018.*
- ^ Jagex. "Double XP Weekend - Begins 15th September." 15 August 2017. RuneScape News.
- ^ Jagex. "Double XP is now live!." 15 September 2017. RuneScape News.
- ^ Jagex. "Extended XP Boosts on Invention Blueprints." 13 September 2017. RuneScape News.
- ^ The Road to Menaphos - the story so far. 25 April 2017.*
- ^ Mod Sayln. PSA: Spring Fayre will NOT be effected by DXP.. 18 May 2017. (Archived from the original on 2017-05-19.)
- ^ Jagex. "2017 – The Year Ahead." 08 January 2017. RuneScape News.
- ^ Jagex. "Double XP Weekend Expanded." 9 February 2017. RuneScape News.
- ^ 10% New Year boost - Hotfix.*
- ^ Jagex. "Double XP Weekend is Coming - 23rd September." 23 August 2016. RuneScape News.
- ^ Jagex. "GameBlast16 & Double XP | Coming 26th February." 28 January 2016. RuneScape News.
- ^ Mod William. "Double XP Weekend - GameBlast15 - February 20th." 16 January 2015. RuneScape News.
- ^ Mod William. "Bonus XP Weekend: Save the Date!." 12 September 2014. RuneScape News.
- ^ Update:Scary Bonus XP Weekend: the Details!
- ^ a b Mod Knox. "Bonus XP Weekend: Save the Date!." 26 February 2010. Developers' Blogs.