Discovery is a mechanic of the Invention skill, in which players research blueprints of materials, devices, and machines used in Invention. Discovery is done at an Inventor's workbench, and involves an optimisation puzzle to maximise experience gained by discovering the blueprint.
Puzzle[edit | edit source]
The discovery process is a 2-step puzzle. The puzzle is randomised when started. Switching to another blueprint or closing the interface results in a new solution.
Part 1[edit | edit source]
The five materials need to be selected from the 10 presented. Click the icons to add them into the slots. Once the 5 slots are filled, click the "Prototype" button to check. At this point, some of the materials will be rejected and removed. Repeat until all 5 slots contain the correct materials.
This part can always be completed in 3 prototypes:
- Add any 5 materials to the board and click "Prototype".
- Remove all materials from the board, then add the other 5 (that have not been tested) and prototype again.
- Re-add the correct ones from step 1 and prototype.
Part 2[edit | edit source]
The second part is about finding the correct order of materials in the row. The materials can be moved around by dragging them or clicking one then clicking another one to swap with.
Each configuration results in an optimisation level, ranging from poor, satisfactory, good, very good, excellent, and perfect. This determines how much experience is granted by researching, from 20% to 100% of the maximum experience (values listed in the table below). Poor configuration results in 20% of the perfect experience, satisfactory 40%, good 60%, very good 70%, and excellent 80%.
A hidden score is assigned to each configuration, which corresponds to the optimisation level. Points are given for how many of the materials are correctly adjacent, as well as if they are in contact in the correct left-right arrangement. See image to the right for an example of this.
A perfect score can be achieved by following this process:
- Place all parts in any order to begin with. Ignore the initial optimisation level you get. This order of parts is your baseline.
- Swap part 1 with part 2. If this does not improve the optimisation level, swap the parts back so it's the same as the baseline.
- Continue swapping part 1 with parts 3, 4, and 5. Swap them back to their original positions if there is no improvement.
- If swapping part 1 with all other parts does not result in an improvement, repeat the process with part 2, then 3 and 4 if still no improvement.
- Once you find an improvement, this order of materials is your new baseline. You will then go back and repeat steps 2–4 until you achieve another improvement. When you achieve the next improvement, you then have a new baseline. Continue this method until a perfect optimisation level is achieved.
Blueprints[edit | edit source]
|Device: Charge pack||1||200||200|
|Research: Apply Augmentor to weapons||2||250||450|
|Research: Augmented item maximum level 5||4||107||957|
|Research: Divine charge||1,064|
|Device: Gizmo dissolver||8||161||1,225|
|Device: Equipment dissolver||16||628||1,853|
|Research: Augmented armour||2,481|
|Device: Augmentation dissolver||3,109|
|Research: Gemstone golem outfit pieces||20||1,198.1||4,307.1|
|Research: Rune ethereal outfit pieces||5,505.2|
|Research: Shark outfit pieces||6,703.3|
|Research: Camouflage outfit pieces||7,901.4|
|Research: Divination outfit pieces||9,099.5|
|Research: Dungeoneering outfit pieces||10,297.6|
|Research: Master farmer outfit piece||11,495.7|
|Research: Sentinel outfit pieces||12,693.8|
|Research: Trapper outfit pieces||13,891.9|
|Device: Junk refiner||22||1,541||15,432.9|
|Research: Maximum charge improvement 1||16,973.9|
|Material: Refined components||18,514.9|
|Research: Augmented hatchet||20,055.9|
|Research: Augmented pickaxe||21,596.9|
|Device: Fishing rod-o-matic||23,137.9|
|Device: Tool gizmo||27,760.9|
|Research: Augmented mattock||800||28,560.9|
|Device: Urn enhancer [reqs 1]||24||1,541||30,101.9|
|Device: Soul-in-a-box[reqs 1]||31,642.9|
|Device: Equipment siphon||27||2,675||34,317.9|
|Research: Augmented item maximum level 10||36,992.9|
|Research: Charge drain reduction 1||34||5,446.3||42,439.2|
|Research: Junk chance reduction 1||47,885.5|
|Material: Knightly components||53,331.8|
|Research: Maximum charge improvement 2||40||9,184.4||62,516.2|
|Material: Corporeal components[reqs 2]||71,700.6|
|Material: Pestiferous components[reqs 3]||80,885|
|Device: Spring cleaner and tight springs||43||11,221.0||92,106|
|Material: Harnessed components||45||12,726||104,832|
|Research: Augmented leg armour||117,558|
|Material: Culinary components||130,284|
|Research: Junk chance reduction 2||49||16,114.4||146,398.4|
|Material: Dragonfire components||162,512.8|
|Material: Explosive components||178,627.2|
|Research: Charge drain reduction 2||194,741.6|
|Device: Sprinkler MK1[reqs 2]||50||18,257||212,998.6|
|Device: Mining accumulator[reqs 2]||231,255.6|
|Device: Woodcutting accumulator[reqs 3]||249,512.6|
|Device: Mechanised chinchompa[reqs 3]||267,769.6|
|Material: Brassican components||54||22,600||290,369.6|
|Material: Fortunate components||312,969.6|
|Material: Undead components||335,569.6|
|Material: Fungal components||358,169.6|
|Device: Crystal tool siphon[reqs 4]||380,769.6|
|Material: Clockwork components||55||23,779||404,548.6|
|Material: Faceted components||428,327.6|
|Research: Augmented item maximum level 15||60||32,284.5||460,612.1|
|Device: Fishing accumulator||492,896.6|
|Device: B.A.N.K. Stander[reqs 3]||525,181.1|
|Device: Calorie bomb[reqs 2]||557,465.6|
|Device: Monkey mind-control helmet[reqs 3]||589,750.1|
|Device: Book switcher[reqs 2]||622,034.6|
|Machine: Simple generator||654,319.1|
|Machine: Auto disassembler||686,603.6|
|Research: Maximum charge improvement 3||64||38,610.8||725,214.4|
|Research: Charge drain reduction 3||763,825.2|
|Research: Junk chance reduction 3||802,436|
|Device: Auto-screener v1.080||67||21,500||823,936|
|Device: Discover the Lab coat outfit||69||47,562.9||871,498.9|
|Research: Junk chance reduction 4||919,061.8|
|Research: Charge drain reduction 4||966,624.7|
|Material: Shifting components||1,014,187.6|
|Device: Auto-sanctifier[reqs 2]||70||52,591||1,066,778.6|
|Device: Dungeoneering lock melter[reqs 2]||1,119,369.6|
|Device: Dungeoneering party simulator[reqs 3]||1,171,960.6|
|Device: Electrified box trap[reqs 3]||1,224,551.6|
|Device: Kinetic cyclone[reqs 2]||1,277,142.6|
|Device: Oldak coil[reqs 3]||1,329,733.6|
|Material: Zamorak components||74||61,347.7||1,447,943.3|
|Material: Saradomin components||1,509,291|
|Material: Armadyl components||1,570,638.7|
|Material: Bandos components||1,631,986.4|
|Device: Small gizmo bag||75||63,672||1,695,658.4|
|Device: Mechanised siphon||77||68,489||1,764,147.4|
|Research: Charge drain reduction 5||78||70,981.7||1,835,129.1|
|Research: Junk chance reduction 5||1,906,110.8|
|Machine: Large generator||80||80,618||1,986,728.8|
|Machine: Auto disassembler mk. II||81||83,441||2,070,169.8|
|Research: Junk chance reduction 6||83||89,273.4||2,159,443.2|
|Research: Charge drain reduction 6||2,248,716.6|
|Material: Third-age components||2,337,990|
|Material: Seren components||2,427,263.4|
|Material: Zaros components||2,516,536.8|
|Material: Historic components||85||21,000||2,537,536.8|
|Material: Classic components||2,558,536.8|
|Device: Ancient gizmos[reqs 5]||42,500||2,601,036.8|
|Device: Discover the Lightbulb hat item||87||101,703.5||2,702,740.3|
|Research: Maximum charge improvement 4||2,804,443.8|
|Material: Oceanic components||2,906,147.3|
|Material: Silent components||3,007,850.8|
|Material: Resilient components||3,109,554.3|
|Research: Undead Slayer ability codex[reqs 6]||88||104,973||3,214,527.3|
|Research: Demon Slayer ability codex[reqs 6]||3,319,500.3|
|Research: Dragon Slayer ability codex[reqs 6]||3,424,473.3|
|Material: Avernic components[reqs 7]||89||108,310||3,532,783.3|
|Material: Cywir components[reqs 8]||3,641,093.3|
|Material: Ilujankan components[reqs 9]||3,749,403.3|
|Material: Shadow components[reqs 10]||3,857,713.3|
|Machine: Partial potion producer||90||117,921||3,975,634.3|
|Research: Charge drain reduction 7||91||121,584.8||4,097,219.1|
|Research: Junk chance reduction 7||4,218,803.9|
|Device: Pogo stick||4,340,388.7|
|Device: Spirit tree re-rooter||92||125,320||4,465,708.7|
|Machine: Automatic hide tanner||93||129,127.5||4,594,836.2|
|Device: Ancient enhanced tools[reqs 11]||65,000.0||4,659,836.2|
|Device: Portable fairy ring||94||133,008.5||4,792,844.7|
|Material: Vintage components||66,000||4,858,844.7|
|Research: Charge drain reduction 8||95||136,962.6||4,995,807.3|
|Research: Maximum charge improvement 5||5,132,769.9|
|Research: Junk chance reduction 8||5,269,732.5|
|Research: Professor title||5,406,695.1|
|Device: Medium gizmo bag||5,543,657.7|
|Device: Herb protector||96||140,990.5||5,684,648.2|
|Research: Enchanted notepaper[reqs 6]||97||145,093||5,829,741.2|
|Device: Energy barrel||98||149,272||5,979,013.2|
|Research: Augmented item maximum level 20||99||153,526.2||6,132,539.2|
|Material: Noxious components||6,286,065.2|
|Material: Rumbling components||6,439,591.2|
|Material: Ascended components||6,593,117.2|
|Machine: Plank maker||6,746,643.2|
|Device: Divine-o-matic vacuum and divine charge (empty)||101||170,806.7||7,083,616.9|
|Machine: Jumbo generator||102||175,528||7,259,144.9|
|Material: Timeworn components||103||90,000||7,349,144.9|
|Device: Miraculous treatment||104||185,218.5||7,534,363.4|
|Research: Charge drain reduction 9||105||190,188.8||7,724,552.2|
|Research: Junk chance reduction 9||7,914,741|
|Device: XP capacitor[reqs 12]||106||42,500||7,957,241|
|Device: Alchemical onyx||107||200,382.3||8,157,623.3|
|Machine: Alchemiser mk. II||108||205,606.9||8,363,230.2|
|Device: Flatpack depacker||109||210,917.4||8,574,147.6|
|Device: Teleportation compactor||110||216,314.6||8,790,462.2|
|Machine: Optimised hide tanner||111||221,798.8||9,012,261|
|Device: Potion reservoir||112||227,370.9||9,239,631.9|
|Device: Combat dummy MKII||113||233,031.4||9,472,663.3|
|Research: Ingenuity of the Humans ability codex||114||238,780.8||9,711,444.1|
|Machine: Partial potion producer DX||9,950,224.9|
|Device: Equipment separator||115||244,619.8||10,194,844.7|
|Machine: High capacity plank maker||117||256,568.9||10,451,413.6|
|Research: Alchemical hydrix||10,707,982.5|
|Research: Passage of the Abyss||118||262,680.1||10,970,662.6|
|Device: Large gizmo bag||11,233,342.7|
- ^ The experience shown in this table is the amount a 'Perfect' optimization awards.
Discovering all blueprints would result in a total experience gain of 11,233,342.7 if no bonus experience was used (13.5% of level 120).
- Additional requirements
- ^ a b Requires completion of Nomad's Elegy.
- ^ a b c d e f g h Requires unlocking the dwarven tech tree. Unlocked by exchanging dwarven currency.
- ^ a b c d e f g h Requires unlocking the cave goblin tech tree. Unlocked by exchanging goblin currency.
- ^ The ability to make this item has to be unlocked with chimes and taijitu from Boni (rewards).
- ^ The ability to discover these devices has to be unlocked by studying either 'Ancient gizmos' blueprint or 'Ancient gizmos' blueprint (untradeable).
- ^ a b c d The ability to make this item has to be unlocked with dungeoneering tokens from Bryll Thoksdottir.
- ^ Also requires 2,500 Zamorakian reputation in the Heart of Gielinor.
- ^ Also requires 2,500 Serenist reputation in the Heart of Gielinor.
- ^ Also requires 2,500 Zarosian reputation in the Heart of Gielinor.
- ^ Also requires 2,500 Sliskean reputation in the Heart of Gielinor.
- ^ The ability to discover these devices has to be unlocked by studying either 'Ancient tools' blueprint or 'Ancient tools' blueprint (untradeable).
- ^ The ability to discover this device has to be unlocked by studying either 'XP Capacitor' blueprint or 'XP Capacitor' blueprint (untradeable).
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Prior to the update of 18 September 2017, discovery required inspiration, a currency earned while training any skill once Invention was unlocked.