For the equivalent characters in Prifddinas and Menaphos, see Ianto
Diango is a merchant who was released as a part of an April Fools' joke. Players had been requesting horses in the game for some time, and were excited to find out that Diango was to be added to sell "horses" in his store (Diango's Toy Store) in Draynor Village. However, Diango actually sells toy horseys, which are not rideable and are mostly useless. He has, however, since gained more functions, the most prominent one being able to return lost or destroyed holiday rewards and selling or giving special commemorative items.
Diango's main use is to be an unlimited store of certain items, thus freeing up bank slots. He allows the retrieval of all holiday items, plus many Treasure Hunter and Squeal of Fortune items. It is possible but not necessary to give him items to store - simply destroying a qualifying item will mean it can be reclaimed at will from Diango. These items will indicate they can be retrieved when you attempt destruction, unless they have a drop option instead. Note however if the item has combat stats, he will charge a fee for its reclaim.
Diango shares the store and reclaim of items with a Toy Box in a player-owned house. Items can be deposited in one, and reclaimed from the other. However, the Toy Box is more limited in that it only stores holiday items.
Besides the standard holiday items, Diango can return pets and many items obtained from Treasure Hunter and Squeal of Fortune. However, some can only be reclaimed from Diango for a given amount of coins due to combat stats.
The code redemption option is mainly a way of redeeming items for attending RuneFest, however there are a few exceptions. RuneFest attendees would be given unique, single-use codes to unlock their items, while other item codes were given out through livestreams during certain events and could be redeemed by anyone. These item codes, however, do not work anymore.
- 4 April 2005: Jagex had announced the release of "dragon plates". What was actually released were spinning plates with a picture of a dragon on them. A conversation with Diango revealed that they were supposed to arrive on the first of April, but thieves stole them because they mistook them for Dragon platebodies.
- 1 April 2008: Similar to the spinning plate joke, Diango started to sell Dragon Kites; not the dragon kiteshields players had long been hoping for, but a red kite with a picture of a dragon that players may fly, called Toy kites. After buying one for 100gp, players can wield the kite and have it float alongside them or choose the Fly option and fly the kite for a moment in a strong breeze.
- A hidden update on 16 December 2008 allowed players to right-click on him to claim holiday items.
- A hidden update on 28 April 2010 added an option to redeem codes. The redeem-code was used to obtain the Flagstaff of Festivities for those who purchased RuneFest tickets.
- 1 February 2011: Diango began selling Celebration cakes and Celebration candles to celebrate the 10-year anniversary of RuneScape.
- 19 April 2011: Diango began selling seasonal items commemorating the Royal wedding. These included fireworks, firecrackers, a bubble maker, confetti and a souvenir mug available to all players, in addition to a bouquet available to members.
- 25 May 2011: Diango received a graphical update, and once again on 17 October 2011. After the latest update, he no longer resembles a cowboy.
- 1 April 2012: Diango began selling "p hats", fully "peahats", released as an April Fool's joke ("p hat" being short for the valuable partyhat).
- 10 May 2012: Diango would award player a Cape of validation and a shiny lamp if they registered an email account.
- 1 June 2012: Players who had a membership throughout "Mad May" could claim a Mad necklace from Diango.
- In a hidden update, Diango gained the ability to restore destroyed Squeal of Fortune items including the Monkey hats and pieces of the Dragon ceremonial outfit.
- Around 20 January 2013 (?): The right-click "Holiday items-Diango" got changed to "Retrieve-Diango". The Holiday item retrieval screen also changed, with the left-half of the interface being holiday items, and the right-half of the interface being promotional items.
- 3 September 2013: Players with continuous membership of at least one year were given the opportunity to claim the Crown of Loyalty from Diango.
- 19 February 2018: Players can now access Diango from the bank interface.
Diango's item return interface
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- patch 9 March 2020 (Update):
- Fixed an issue preventing players from retrieving their starfire cape from Diango.
- Fixed a bug where the adrenaline urn could not be retrieved via Diango if the player destroyed it.
- Fixed a bug where all colour variants of the zodiac costume could not be retrieved via Diango if the player destroyed them.
- patch 2 March 2020 (Update):.
- Various fixes and small changes to Diango as a result of last week's Diango improvements.
- Diango and his store have undergone some further work this week.
- 'Skill sets' are now displayed while hovering over the skill tab in the Diango interface.
- Brain plushies can now be retrieved from Diango.
- The player is no longer able to retrieve infinite copies of the Warlock outfit from Diango's store.
- Items in the last column of Diango's interface are no longer sliced when resizing the Bank interface.
- When you drag the Witch's plushie item out from the bank, it now confirms it can be reclaimed from Diango.
- Fixed an issue that was blocking users from reclaiming Rare Item Tokens from Diango if they had existing tokens in other inventories (Backpack/Bank/Currency Pouch)
- Fixed an issue where some outfits could not be retrieved from the Diango storage.
- patch 24 February 2020 (Update):
- Restored full reclaim functionality for sentinel and trapper outfits to Diango's storage system.
- Fixed an issue preventing some body and leg pieces from skilling outfits from being reclaimed.
- Prevented the ability to claim multiple skilling outfit pieces via Diango's storage system.
- patch 17 February 2020 (Update):
- Pushed a number of server-side optimisations and futureproofing measures for Diango's item storage.
- patch 13 January 2020 (Update):
- Right clicking the search box on Diango's interface now comes up with "search" instead of "enter personal message".
- patch 2 December 2019 (Update):
- Converted error messages when trying to reclaim an item from Diango with insufficient money from a chat message to an error box. This improves visibility on mobile.
- hotfix 14 February 2018:
- Players can no longer claim golden mining outfit pieces from Diango without previously owning them.
- ninja 26 June 2017 (Update):
- Non-Treasure Hunter skilling outfits should now redeem from Diango.
- patch 27 February 2017 (Update):
- A variety of lucky items from Treasure Hunter can now be stored with Diango. Dying and not protecting the items will still permanently lose the item.
- patch 4 April 2016 (Update):
- Players can now right-click on various Treasure Hunter outfits in Diango's interface to claim all parts of the outfit at once.
- patch 8 February 2016 (Update):
- Diango will now correctly remember if a player owned a slayer mask when it has been keepsaked.
- patch 29 June 2015 (Update):
- An incorrect message telling players they had a reward from Diango when their bank was full has been fixed.
- patch 1 December 2014 (Update):
- Diango now only offers prismatic versions of skill pendants, which can be converted into any skill the player has unlocked.
- ninja 10 November 2014 (Update):
- Players can now claim a shard bag from Diango which can be used to store expert skillcape shards.
- ninja 1 July 2014 (Update):
- A search option has been added to Diango's item retrieval interface.
- patch 17 March 2014 (Update):
- Players can no longer bank the email validation xp lamp given to them by Diango in Draynor market.
- patch 9 November 2010 (Update):
- Diango chathead now plays an animation when talking to him about redeeming items.
- patch 2 November 2010 (Update):
- Diango's holiday items interface now has a scrollbar to allow players to see more than 48 items.
- Diango sometimes takes part in holiday events, such as the 2006 Hallowe'en event, the 2005 Christmas event, and the 2013 Christmas event.
- Diango previously looked like a cowboy, furthering the joke of him selling horses.
- He previously had the examine text "He smells funny".
- During the 2013 Christmas event, his examine text was "Costume seller extraordinaire."