Diamond in the Rough
|Diamond in the Rough (#185)|
|Release date||26 September 2012 (Update)|
|Main developer(s)||Stephen R|
|Quality assurance||Unknown edit|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Official description[edit | edit source]
Prince Ali has been kidnapped and it's up to you and Ozan to rescue him. Follow a trail through the desert led by a diamond with rather interesting properties to confront Prince Ali's kidnappers.
Overview[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Osman in Al Kharid.|
|Member requirement||Members only|
|Official length||Medium to Long|
|Requirements||Skill requirements are not boostable unless marked with a [B] for boostable.
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.
|Enemies to defeat|
Stealing the diamond yet again[edit | edit source]
To begin, speak to Osman in Al Kharid palace without a follower or pet (if you just finished Stolen Hearts the ending dialogue for that quest would lead to the beginning of the next). He instructs you to speak to Ozan, who is located directly outside the palace, before meeting him in the palace vault. After talking to Ozan, a cutscene will begin with the three of you. Osman will state that he believes that you both intended to rescue Prince Ali when you previously tried to steal the Kharid-ib from the palace. He reveals the diamond on display is a real diamond, but not the Kharid-ib itself.
While the Emir had forbidden him from exchanging the Kharid-ib for Ali Mirza, Osman provides obscure instructions in retrieving the real Kharid-ib and rescuing the prince via apophasis. Once the cutscene is over, Ozan implores you to take the heavy weight (from the Het scales in front of the statue) and to leave once again via the rope.
From the top of the castle, drop down from the roof and return to the bank via the rope Ozan fired during the previous quest. Perform a "parrot drop" into the cart south of the bank, then run to the Shantay Pass.
If you try to use the Al Kharid Lodestone teleport a message will pop up saying "The diamond vault appears to have a teleport block on it." However, you can use it once you're out of the vault and on the roof, and Ozan will do the same. Do not use an amulet of glory teleport, as Ozan would be left behind and you will have to meet up with him again at the palace.
Into the desert[edit | edit source]
Once in the desert, Ozan brings up Shantay's odd behaviour, but the player dismisses the theory that he is controlled like the mercenaries in Stolen Heart as his eyes were not glowing. Talk to Ozan again and say "Let's keep going". The heavy weight breaks open and the Kharid-ib is revealed, emitting a screeching noise. A sundial appears which guides you to your destination. In order to discover the destination, get the dial to align with the symbol the sundial is associated with. For instance, Het is human, so point the dial towards the human face.
Bandit attack![edit | edit source]
Follow the ray of sun south west and a cutscene occurs at the next dial, where bandits ambush you and Ozan realises the Kharid-ib is talking to them via the Bandit king. The last bandit defeated drops a sundial gnomon which was missing from the Apmeken sundial (picking it up will cause you to exit the instanced area where you fight the bandits, preventing you from picking up anything else).
Use the gnomon with the sundial and point towards the head of the monkey, then run north-west after the dialogue with Ozan. There is currently a glitch where you cannot pick up the sundial gnomon by itself and you must have enough free spaces to Loot All as if you try to pick it up individually you will get the text "This item appears to have already been taken." Letting the sundial gnomon despawn and talking to Ozan again allows you to continue the quest, as he informs you that he picked it up.
Once you head north-west to the other sundial, Ozan will talk. Clicking outside of the chatbox will send you back a few steps. It is possible for the scene to be interrupted and nothing happens afterwards, in this case leave the area and return to restart it.
Scabaras strikes[edit | edit source]
At this sundial location, another gnomon will appear, but this time you and Ozan are stuck in quicksand. Exhaust all the options trying to escape, none will work. You are transported into a small cavern and momentarily stunned, while a critter scurries away with the diamond.
Inside the cavern is the sundial of Crondis. Ozan complains about his injured leg and sends you off to search the tunnels in solitude. Enter any tunnel, and you re-emerge in the room with Ozan. After a few rounds of Ozan joshing about this, it becomes apparent Ozan is sitting on the sundial gnomon. Once again, inspect the sundial (Crondis having a crocodile head) and follow the sunbeam. In the tunnel Ozan once again complains about his injured leg, so you are unable to run.
At the end of the tunnel you arrive in a pitch-black room. Eventually Ozan discovers a torch, revealing that the room is infested with dung kalphites. You must recover the diamond from the dung the kalphites are rolling around by left clicking them. Ozan will aid in slicing open dung kalphites also. If you don't have a suitable weapon, there's a bronze scimitar spawn in the room.
After you have sliced a few of the wrong kalphites, Ozan starts shouting whenever he sees one which is sparkling. You can also turn on Ambient Sounds and turn off Music in settings and listen for a tinkering noise. You'll find a sapphire, an emerald, a ruby, and then the diamond itself. Picking up the diamond may put you back on the surface above the quicksand, you must go back down to continue the quest. The diamond cannot be picked up using the Loot All option and must be picked up by right clicking it with no other loot on the ground, meaning you must clear all loot from the ground nearby first before attempting to pick up the diamond.
A hole will appear in the ceiling through which Leela will talk to you and Ozan, aiding your escape from the cavern. Navigate the discussion between Leela and Ozan, then point the sundial towards the insect.
Amascut attacks[edit | edit source]
Follow the sun beam for the final time towards "the lion's mouth": the ruins of the Temple of Amascut. Once here, speak to Lady Keli to initiate a cutscene. Lady Keli demands the diamond. If you refuse, Lady Keli becomes increasingly belligerent, threatening to kill all present if they do not comply. Whether you say yes or no, the diamond inveighs against its surrender through Keli's guards, though you are eventually swayed into delivering it to her. Lady Keli protests at being called crazy and reveals she is Amascut. Before departing, she sets her guards on you, Ozan, and Leela.
Apep has damage cap of 50. Apep may yell out "Whirling Dervish!". If you do not run away from him during this attack, you are briefly stunned and knocked back. Avoiding this attack can be made easier by placing the Escape ability on your action bar. Heru may blind you with his shield, but is otherwise a fairly simple fight. Certain forms of passive damage, such as the effect of the blood amulet of fury, will ignore the damage cap.
Prince Ali Rescue[edit | edit source]
Once both guards are defeated, click on Prince Ali to rescue him and initiate another conversation. You will be returned to the Palace at the end of it with the prince and Leela, and Ozan goes off to recover the diamond. Osman and Leela will argue over Osman's methods, resulting in Leela renouncing him and storming off. Somewhere in the desert, Ambassador Jabari plots with Amascut as the former reveals he poisoned the emir, and Amascut tells him to return to the pharaoh as she still has business here.
Osman says Leela would come around and compliment your capabilities. You need at least 2 free inventory spaces for the reward. Congratulations, quest complete!
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 1 quest point
- 250 experience
- 250 experience
- 250 experience lamp
- 250 experience lamp
- 1 sapphire, 1 emerald, 1 ruby (if picked up from dung kalphites)
- Access to the Kalphite nursery, where you can obtain Aten (Heru's shield) and Uraeus (Apep's axe) from slicing dung kalphites
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys and 2 Hearts of Ice
- Additional rewards/activities
Players with level 80 (boosts may be used, must be visible) can mine a crack in the room below the quicksand for 20,000 experience and access a secret treasure room, which contains a Scabaras mask and a Was (sceptre). To reach the fissure room, go down the well (north-west of the Kalphite Lair, fairy ring BIQ) and go in the tunnel in the east wall of the Kalphite nursery. Then go through the tunnel all the way to the other side and enter. You will find yourself in the room below the quicksand.
- Music unlocked
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Diamond in the Rough ( 0) – Complete this Novice quest.
- Here Was a Scabaras Mask ( 5) – Gain access to the secret treasure room from 'Diamond in the Rough'.
- Desert achievements
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
Diamond in the Rough is directly required for the following quests/miniquests:
- 'Phite Club
- A Tail of Two Cats
- Children of Mah
- Crocodile Tears
- Full completion of Curse of the Black Stone
- Dealing with Scabaras
- Desert Slayer Dungeon
- Full completion of Desperate Times
- Dimension of Disaster
- Dimension of Disaster: Curse of Arrav
- Dishonour among Thieves
- Do No Evil
- Fate of the Gods
- Full completion of Heart of Stone
- Kindred Spirits
- Koschei's Troubles
- Mahjarrat Memories
- Full completion of Missing, Presumed Death
- Full completion of Nadir
- Nomad's Elegy
- One of a Kind
- Our Man in the North
- Rat Catchers
- Rebuilding Edgeville
- Ritual of the Mahjarrat
- Sliske's Endgame
- Smoking Kills
- Tales of Nomad
- The Curse of Arrav
- The Light Within
- The Mighty Fall
- The Temple at Senntisten
- Full completion of The World Wakes
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 11 March 2019 (Update):
- Skipping a specific cutscene in Diamond in the Rough quest will now work correctly.
- patch 5 June 2017 (Update):
- Combat encounters during 'Stolen Hearts' and 'Diamond in the Rough' quests no longer give combat XP.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Diamond in the Rough and its sister quest, Stolen Hearts, have elements of the old quest Prince Ali Rescue, which these quests replaced.
- The cutscene in which Osman leaves the player alone with Ozan in the treasure room with the Al Kharid-id, after his cryptic explanation on how to steal the diamond is a reference to the book and film Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban where Dumbledore leaves Harry and Hermione alone.
- Ozan's line, "Dung Kalphites. Why did it have to be Dung Kalphites?" is a reference to the line "Snakes. Why'd it have to be snakes?" stated by Indiana Jones in the 1981 film Raiders of the Lost Ark.
- The player performing a "parrot drop" into a cart of hay is a reference to the Assassin's Creed series, where the protagonist can leap off buildings into carts filled with hay.
- When escaping the Kalphite nursery via the rope Leela lowers, Ozan tells the character to keep what happened in the cave to themselves, using the phrase "What happened down here, stays down here," a reference to the saying, "What happens on tour, stays on tour."
- After escaping the Kalphite nursery, Ozan says to Leela, "It's no Cave of Wonders," a reference to the Cave of Wonders from the 1992 film Aladdin, whose title character was also referred to as a Diamond in the Rough.
- Leela's password, Scheherazade, is a reference to Queen Scheherazade, the narrator of One Thousand and One Nights.
- If you have completed the Missing My Mummy, Leela will tell Osman that she is returning to Senliten, saying "We're doing actual good there.", but it is also possible to this dialogue not to show up even if you have completed it.
- The Arabic in the banner roughly translates to "Ozan in 'quest'".
|Part 2 of the Desert quest series • Part 2 of the Signature Heroes quest series (Ozan)|
|Lores and Histories|