||11 December 2013 (Update)
||60 seconds (100 ticks)
|Empower yourself with the protection of the gods.
- Increase the effectiveness of your protection prayers to 100%(75% in PvP).
- 9.6s duration.
- Killing an enemy extends the duration by 4.8s up to a maximum of 19.2s.
|Infobox • Talk page
Devotion is a threshold Defence ability. When activated, protection prayers and deflect curses reduce the damage of the styles they defend against to 1 for 10 seconds. In PvP, damage is instead reduced by 75%. The effect can be extended by 5 seconds per opponent killed, capped at a maximum total duration of 20 seconds by killing two opponents. Killing multiple enemies at the exact same time only counts as one kill.
Some monsters, such as nihil, muspah, and dragons with dragonfire, ignore the effects of Devotion, even if the correct prayers are used. It is unknown if any other monsters are capable of doing this.
It can be unlocked with 3,500 Reward Currency from the Anima Islands Distraction & Diversion, which became available following the fall of Tuska at the Tuska Comes world event.
It was first obtainable by participating in the second world event, at a cost of 32,000 renown, additionally requiring a runite event token. With the death of Bandos and end of the event, it can now be obtained as a rare drop from General Graardor and Kree'arra. It is also obtainable from their bodyguards and from other aviansie in Armadyl's Eyrie and other Bandos followers within the dungeon.
These abilities are individual drops; however, it is possible to receive multiple abilities in a single kill. When received, it is automatically learned; it does not drop as an item. When learned, the message "You have unlocked the Devotion ability!" appears in the chatbox.
Devotion can be very useful in the following cases:
- Devotion will block the lightning from the Legiones (including the Lines of Ascension from Legio Quintus), which allows the use of Rapid Fire, Snipe (even if Nightmare gauntlets are not used), and Death's Swiftness.
- Devotion can fully block auto-attacks from monsters that deal very high damage, such as Vorago, Beastmaster Durzag, Yakamaru, Nex: Angel of Death and Telos, the Warden.
- Devotion will block the Dharok's "Give me everything!" attack in Barrows: Rise of the Six, where it can save the player from a fatal hit if he was damaged too much while channeling this ability.
- Devotion used with Protect/Deflect Melee blocks the Kalphite King's instant kill attack, as well as his magical bombs if Protect/Deflect Magic is used.
- Devotion can only defend against melee, magic, and ranged damage, and only if the correct protection/deflect prayer is used. In the event that the player fails to switch to the appropriate prayer in time or if prayers are disabled by an attack such as Smash, Devotion does not have any effect. Typeless damage is likewise unaffected. Receiving attacks from multiple styles at once may also necessitate the use of other defence abilities such as Reflect, as players can only activate one protect/deflect prayer at a time.
This list was created dynamically. For help, see the FAQ
To force an update of this list, click here
For an exhaustive list of all known sources for this item, see here
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l There is further information on this drop; see the associated page for details.
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- patch 23 March 2015 (Update):
- Devotion will now correctly add time if the player kills enemies which aren't their main target.
- patch 24 February 2014 (Update):
- The cooldown on the devotion ability is now 90 seconds.
- The protection boost offered by the devotion ability during PvP situations is now 75%.
- The devotion ability now lasts for a minimum of 5 seconds and a maximum of 20 seconds.
- Devotion will now be turned off during the Kalphite King, Vorago and Barrows: Rise of the Six encounters, where appropriate, as with other defensive abilities.
- For a while after release, the ability gave 100% protection for the combat style prayed against. As of the patch notes of 24 February 2014, the ability now blocks 75% of damage in player-versus-player combat.
- When released, Devotion lasted 20 seconds and extended up to 40 seconds. After a hidden update, it was reduced to 5 seconds with a limit of 20 seconds, but due to many player complaints, this was changed once again to a middle ground of 10 seconds.
- Originally when this ability was released the cooldown time was 60 seconds. On 24 February 2014 this was changed to 90 seconds. On 10 March 2014 the cooldown was reverted back to 60 seconds with an overall buff to the ability's duration.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Moltare's Twitter account. 11 December 2013. (Archived from the original on 13 December 2013.) Mod Moltare: "Will the abilities be available after the event ends? - yes, as a very rare drop from Graardor and Kree."