||11 December 2013 (Update)
||60 seconds (100 ticks)
|Empower yourself with the protection of the gods.
- Increase the effectiveness of your protection prayers to 100%(75% in PvP).
- 9.6s duration.
- Killing an enemy extends the duration by 4.8s up to a maximum of 19.2s.
|Infobox • Talk page
Devotion is a threshold Defence ability, that may be unlocked from the Anima Islands minigame, or by killing certain bosses and monsters in the God Wars Dungeon.
This ability can be obtained by any of the following methods:
These abilities are individual drops; however, it is possible to receive multiple abilities in a single kill. When received, it is automatically learned; it does not drop as an item. When learned, the message You have unlocked the Devotion ability! appears in the chatbox.
Historically, it was first obtainable by participating in the second world event, at a cost of 32,000 renown, additionally requiring a runite event token.
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l There is further information on this drop; see the associated page for details.
When activated, protection prayers and deflect curses reduce the damage of the styles they defend against to 1 for 10 seconds. In PvP, damage is instead reduced by 75%. The effect can be extended by 5 seconds per opponent killed, capped at a maximum total duration of 20 seconds by killing two opponents. If the player kills multiple enemies on the same tick, it is still considered to be one kill.
Araxxor, while not killable during the first two phases, is still capable of extending Devotion when he runs out of health.
Some monsters, such as nihil and muspah ignore the effects of Devotion even when their attacks are correctly prayed against. Devotion does not work against dragonfire despite being considered magic damage. Other monsters are capable of removing its effects.
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 23 March 2015 (Update):
- Devotion will now correctly add time if the player kills enemies which aren't their main target.
- patch 24 February 2014 (Update):
- The cooldown on the devotion ability is now 90 seconds.
- The protection boost offered by the devotion ability during PvP situations is now 75%.
- The devotion ability now lasts for a minimum of 5 seconds and a maximum of 20 seconds.
- Devotion will now be turned off during the Kalphite King, Vorago and Barrows: Rise of the Six encounters, where appropriate, as with other defensive abilities.
- For a while after release, the ability gave 100% protection for the combat style prayed against. As of the patch notes of 24 February 2014, the ability now blocks 75% of damage in player-versus-player combat.
- When released, Devotion lasted 20 seconds and extended up to 40 seconds. After a hidden update, it was reduced to 5 seconds with a limit of 20 seconds, but due to many player complaints, this was changed once again to a middle ground of 10 seconds.
- Originally when this ability was released the cooldown time was 60 seconds. On 24 February 2014 this was changed to 90 seconds. On 10 March 2014 the cooldown was reverted back to 60 seconds with an overall buff to the ability's duration.