|Release date||11 April 2005 (Update)|
|Location(s)||North-west of the Ruins of Uzer|
|Examine||Definitely not a chicken.|
|Infobox • Talk page|
The Desert Phoenix is a bird found flying along the west bank of the River Elid in the Kharidian Desert, north of the bridge to the Dominion Tower in the area where the river flows through a small gorge. It can be plucked with 25 Thieving to obtain a phoenix feather, granting 26 Thieving experience. The feathers are a component in super antifire potions; these should not be confused with the phoenix quill, a tertiary component for phoenix familiars and reborn phoenix pouches. Phoenix feathers are untradeable, but can be stored in a Beast of Burden. Like other pickpocketing NPCs, the desert phoenix will damage and stun the player if the player is caught.
During The Golem quest, players must steal one of its feathers and use it with black mushroom ink to create a phoenix quill pen. Before completing the quest, it is only possible to collect one phoenix feather at a time. After completion of the elite Desert achievements, players retrieve two feathers at once when plucking the phoenix. The desert amulet 4 does not need to be equipped in order to retrieve more than one feather.
The master camouflage outfit's auto-pickpocketing effect does not work on the Desert Phoenix. After completion of the hard Desert achievements, however, pickpocketing the desert phoenix becomes automatic until the player is caught.
Getting there[edit | edit source]
- Use fairy ring code DLQ (after A Fairy Tale III - Battle at Ork's Rift or A Fairy Tale II - Cure a Queen with a lunar staff) and run northwest, cross the bridge near the Dominion Tower, and run a short distance north from there.
- Use the broomstick teleport from Swept Away, banking at the Shantay Pass bank chest and running directly east out of the gate. This method can produce 800-1200 feathers per hour.
- Once the Dominion Tower is unlocked, the Dominion medallion's teleport option may be used to reach the phoenix. The Dominion Tower is the closest bank, but a combat level of 110 is required to access it.
- Take the boat after pressing the blood button during the The Vault of Shadows mystery at Kharid-et, which requires level 86 Archaeology.
Recommended equipment[edit | edit source]
- Thieving cape: The thieving cape will automatically note all feathers and function as an Ardougne cloak if one is owned.
- Enchanted water tiara: The enchanted water tiara provides an unlimited source of water inside the Kharidian Desert, protecting you from desert heat. However, higher-level players will likely bank frequently enough that the bank's healing aura will suffice. Unnecessary after the Crocodile Tears quest.
- Completion of the elite Desert tasks: Gives two feathers instead of one. It is not required to bring or wear the amulet to gain double feathers, as the effect is permanent upon completing the elite Desert Tasks.
- Completion of the hard Desert tasks: pickpocketing the phoenix becomes automatic.
- Ardougne cloak 3/4: The Ardougne cape 3/4 grants a boost to the chance of stealing feathers.
- Desert outfit (white): Helps reduce the need for water from desert heat. Unnecessary after the Crocodile Tears quest.
- Five-finger discount aura: Like the Ardougne capes, Five-finger discount grants a boost to the chance of stealing feathers.
- Beast of Burden: Increases the amount of feathers the player can steal before they need to bank. Unnecessary with the Thieving cape or signs of the porter.
- Trahaearn exoskeleton set: A 25% chance to avoid being stunned and damaged when plucking the Desert Phoenix.
- Sign of the porter: Will automatically send stolen phoenix feathers straight to your bank. These are useful for players without 99 Thieving.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 26 May 2020 (Update):
- The Desert Phoenix can now be continuously auto-pickpocketed as a reward for completing the Hard Desert Achievements.
- patch 3 January 2013 (Update):
- Players failing a pickpocket of the Desert Phoenix now take more damage.
- patch 7 November 2011 (Update):
- The desert phoenix from The Golem has found a new home west of the Dominion Tower.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The examine text of the desert phoenix is a reference to the examine text of a chicken: Yep, definitely a chicken.
|Related to the Desert quest series|