An overhead view of the overground portion of the camp
The Desert Mining Camp is a slave camp located south of Al Kharid in the Kharidian Desert. Guards oversee slaves mining in it, both on the surface and underground. It features prominently in The Tourist Trap quest, and this quest must be started before the player can enter the area. A metal key is required to enter it.
Inside the camp is a camel cart, a winch, the entrance to the underground mines, and a building that is the headquarters of Captain Siad. Siad's office has a chest and bookcases. If you search the table Siad is sitting at, you find a cell door key, which opens the door to the prison cell on the ground floor[UK]1st floor[US]. Guards will throw players in the jail if they are wearing equipment (except weapon or ammo). If you are thrown in the cell and do not have the key, you can still escape by bending the bars on the window and climbing down rocks into the desert. All these items play a role in Tourist Trap.
After the quest, searching Siad's table will give you all three keys from the quest: the cell door key, the metal key, and the Wrought iron key. Siad's headquarters contains spawns for a Bowl of water, a Beer, a Jug of wine, and some Papyrus. Slaves work the surface mines, with level 35 guards watching them.
The Desert Mining Camp cave is located underneath the camp and contains Mithril, Adamantite and Necrite ores.
You can reach the camp by walking directly south from Shantay Pass.
Alternative routes to the camp include:
When travelling the desert to the camp, players are advised to bring a water source, or special items such as the Tome of Frost, to avoid the effects of desert heat. Once inside the camp (including the underground mines), water is not needed.
A gate and troop of mercenaries bar the entrance to the camp. To enter, you need to have the metal key, which is obtained in Tourist Trap by fighting the Mercenary Captain.
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- update 28 October 2019 (Update):
- After finishing the Tourist Trap Quest, you can now go back and pass through the Mine cave entrance to access the ore on the other side.
- patch 25 May 2011 (Update):
- The miners in the Desert Mining Camp now actually mine rocks, instead of swinging their pickaxes at nothing.
- patch 7 December 2010 (Update):
- The Desert Mining Camp’s gates now allow players to enter from wherever they are standing.
- patch 25 May 2010 (Update):
- Improved the animations when leaving the jail at the Desert Mining Camp.
- patch 13 May 2010 (Update):
- Raised the height of an animation climbing a ladder in the Desert Mining Camp.
- patch 17 November 2009 (Update):
- Mining rocks in the desert have been graphically improved.
- Although the Desert Mining Camp is a good source of mithril and adamantite ore, it is little used because it is far from a bank.
- Almost anything you equip other than jewellery seems to qualify as armour or weapons, which will sooner or later cause the guards to attack you. Even the Robe of Elidinis (a form of desert clothing) seems to draw the guards' attention. You should wear slave robes or not have anything equipped other than jewellery.
- You can talk to the camel at the camel cart if you are wearing a camulet. Be careful what you say, as he implies he occasionally eats people who offend him, although he does not do it often. You can also get ugthanki dung from him if you have done the My Arm's Big Adventure quest (you will need a bucket for this).
- If you try to leave the camp through the main gate while wearing slave robes, a guard will stop you. Just keep trying until you leave.
- When in the south-eastern part of the mines, you can see part of another dungeon to the east. It appears to be part of the Smoke Dungeon, although that seems like it should be south of the camps' mines rather than to the east.